Public Service Announcement - A friendly reminder on the lack of parity in TAD

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Just a quick public service announcement regarding the lack of parity in TAD...

Anyone who seriously believes since O'Bannon is second in points there is legitimate parity must like John Conlee's song "Rose Colored Glasses"

The only time they have a shot is above 95 degrees.

I remember earlier in the year after O'Bannon's dominating performance in Vegas all the "just wait until he runs in good air"

O'Bannon scorecard:
    Air based of DRC reports

Pomona 5.317/270 (1500 ft) low et top speed
    Vegas 5.382/267 (3600 ft) low et top speed win
    Topeka 5.467/261 (2900 ft) win
    Joliet 5.320/271 (1200 ft) r/u
    Seattle 5.446/263 (2700 ft) win
    Sonoma 5.359/268 (1900 ft)
    ???

I'm not trying to take away from the O'Bannon team, they've put together a hell of a season and really are one of the top teams out there. There's no arguing they are the top blown team out there. The fact they have a shot at the championship speaks that. It comes from racing smart, racing in a blown friendly division and a few breaks along the way - which come along with any championship.

I've lost count of how many .20's A/Fuelers have run this year in varying conditions. Reichert reeling off low .30's in the heat of St. Louis go down as 'performance of the year' in my book. I don't think anyone would argue Reichert has the hot A/F hand right now.

Call me crazy, I would just like to see the top blown car and top a/fuel car line up and see a close drag race. I'd like to see the blown car sped up, not the A/F slowed down.

If nothing is done, the screw blower dragster will be slowly relegated to the same status as a roots dragster.

Hopefully NHRA will at very least give the blown cars some overdrive.

If not, maybe they'll make room for them in Comp....AA/DM....:rolleyes:

2. John Haley

John Haley Alcohol Dragster

You are my hero Will. :D

3. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

too busy

too busy "WORKING " on our hot rod to comment , !!!!! WILL

4. Will Hanna

Staff Member

work

well the difference is you have an a/fd. you can look at the qualifying sheet and see other a/fd's hauling ass. you can look at the numbers the reicherts, conways gallants of the world run. you know you have the tools to get there, you just haven't figured it out. yeah, i buy the working on my hot rod line when you're on that side of the fence.

well, with a blown car you can sleep next to the car with a crescent wrench, vice grips and a hammer, and it just aint gonna happen.

don't take this the wrong way marty, but i'm going to use you for an example..

marty was a low 5.30 player a few years ago. u know the line 'why don't the blown cars run like they used to' well, marty and others realized that just 5.30's wasn't going to cut it, so believe it or not, there's blown guys trying different stuff out there. i know he's tried clutches, heads, among other things i'm sure i'm not privy to. not to mention chassis, engine locations, wings, etc. the classic 'outside the box' stuff.

marty's still one of the top blown cars out there. the point is he left a very competitive blown combo to try to make the blown combo competitive with the a/fd.

with a blown alcohol combo you can have an r&d budget of 100k, and have no guarantee's you're going to gain what a couple hundred bucks for a set of pulleys would do.

i dont think anyone really disputes the blown cars are at a disadvantage. why is there resistance by some to give the blown cars some performance?

5. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

how many blown cars?

during the race in BRAINERD MINN.nat event every a-fueller on the grounds was inspected by MR. COLLINS OF THE NHRA , for a leahy fuel management controller , all cowls & body panels removed if near management , why not any blown cars ? that could be an advantage to that combo as well ? & if i am wrong please correct me , as i didnt see him stop @ any blown car pits near me ,

6. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

I have worked with both a/f and tad and thoroughly enjoy the challenges they both present. Thinking about the parity issue I am reminded of a story of a young man I once heard about. He had a hard time controlling his speech and was often in trouble for it. Standing by a stream one day, he picked up 3 small stones and thought "I'll put these in my mouth, so that I cannot speak unless I remove them. That will give me time to think about what I am about to say." So he did. Most of the time after taking the stones out of his mouth, he would simply put them back...

7. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Russ:

You have to stop posting stuff that goes over people's heads. LOL.

Why don't the alky guys get a tooth or two added to the bottom pulley or removed from the top pulley to see what happens? Cheap, quick, a few more pounds of boost and might make a difference.

Or, better yet, there are a lot of C blowers out there. Put one on O'Bannons and see if they can match the low '20's of the A/Fuelers on a more consistant basis. Or borrow one of Jay's short blocks and run it with the current TAD overdrive rule to see if adding cubic inches will help. Maybe with the extra cubes comes a little lower RPM and some parts savings?

I agree with the A/FD owners. Leave them alone.

RG

8. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Stones

:mad:
    HAVE TO GO AND FIND THREE STONES THAT WILL FILL MY BIG MOUTH!!!!!
    :eek:

9. LaDon

LaDon New Member

Why inspect the blower cars they werent gonna win unless like us someone screwed up. Yeah I was there working on one and seen what was going on. No reason to check a car that was almost 2 tenths slower.

10. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

NHRA wants T/F & AA/FC because of the noise, flames, speed, low ET and P/S because of the factory tie in. Everything else is just fill in stuff. Alcohol cars is & will always be my favorite class. The blown alky & A/F days are numbered, which is a shame. The current leadership in NHRA doesn't understand the history & the roots of what NHRA is & what it came from. All they see is dollar signs, like selling out the US Nationals as the Mac Tools US Nationals or Indy Raceway Park as O'Rielly Racewy Park. I will never call call IRP or the US Nationals what they choose to call them now!!!!
    Just my fricken .02 cents worth.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  11. Chris Demke

Chris Demke Super Comp

Freak,
    Is this the FIRST TIME you have been inspected for this device???? Mr. Collins has looked over our BLOWN alcohol dragster at nearly every national event we have attended this year lookiing for the leahy fuel management controller. Do not think that you are being singled out...
    Honestly, I do not know why it is illegal to have one in the first place.

Chris

12. eli

eli Banned

[
    Honestly, I do not know why it is illegal to have one in the first place.
    Chris[/QUOTE]
    Probably because hes behind on the vig.

13. 490mega2

490mega2 New Member

In all reality there is NO WAY to have parity, at every track-altitude-temp, etc etc.....you might as well run t/f against s/c, just throw in a bunch of restrictions, limits..blah blah and Ta-Da!! "parity". You just aint NEVER gonna have it.

14. Langenhammer

Langenhammer New Member

Parity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post of the CENTURY in my book!

15. John Haley

John Haley Alcohol Dragster

Do any of you guys even want to try?or what is your answer to the problem please?

Or are you just going to be negative no matter what?

And please put your real name on what you say so i can know you are a real person.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  16. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

RG, I had suggested NHRA allowing the Blown cars to run 500 CI with the 125% overdrive. David Wells responded "Do you know how much three 500 CI motors would cost?" My question is; would running 125% on a 452-460 motor make that much difference in performance?

17. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Way to put it Bobby....oops I mean Langenhammer...LMMFAO:eek:

jOkEr!.....I mean Kevin Brown:D

18. alky racer

alky racer New Member

Will is wright. I thought that at the begining of this year we could run with these a fuel guys in just about any conditions. I was always under the thought they just would have a advantage in really good air. Well look how things have changed. I have raced Massey in hot air at Seattle and he had a best e.t of 5.448 where the best blown car was 5.444. For thoes of you who were not there the air was 4000' plus at times. So the days of the blown car having the advantage at high altitude are over. Reichrt's number at Brainerd in the final was out of this world I dont care if you put the gismo on it would not of made a blown car run 5.24 in thoes conditions. We have made a sugestion to NHRA to give us a little overdrive about 6% its one tooth on a pully. It would cost little to nothing for anyone to do. I dont want to hurt any of the a fuel cars I know how much they have struggled over the past two years to get their combos going. Is there is any a fuel racer who is worried about what a little overdrive can do for us blown guys? In the best intrest of the class I would hope that most of you a fuel racers would want to help us out a little is not good for the class as a whole if one of the two combos go away. We all need to work together and get this class back on track.

19. Will Hanna

Staff Member

one way...

the sooner some figure out making the big picture better makes everyone's picture better, then we can really make some strides with this class.

alky racer - please email me at will.hanna@insidetopalcohol.com i'd like to discuss some things.

tad can reach maximum popularity when you have balance within the class. the diversity of the class has always been an attraction.

20. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

I think PROMOTION of the entire class would be a big help as well...

KB