PSI Screw which one

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Bob69, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Bob69

Bob69 Member

Part 1:
    I thought I had a "C" rotor PSI screw, now I am told I have a "D" rotor. The size of the lobe ends on the trailing rotor is how you tell?
    Is that correct?
    Part 2:
    What is most commonly used in Pro Mod C or D, what is ideal?

CHeers

2. Matt

Matt Member

psi c or d

Take the injector body out of the rear hole from both sides, if you can see straight through it is a D and if you can't see out the other side it is a C. Out law pro mod definately a C rotor!

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes for an all out Outlaw ProMod you want a C rotor. A C rotor can make a max of 58-60 lbs of boost which is about 10 more than a D rotor. The only racers that have to use a D rotor are the NHRA legal Top Alcohol Funny Cars. If you are not going to go all out then you can still get plenty of power from D rotor.

I

4. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

blower

So does alky dragster!

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Sorry, forgot about the alky dragsters.

6. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

Also anyone running ORSCA this year due to there being scared of Gil Mobley's Camaro :eek:

Mike, I know your comment was not all inclusive and I am talking about a 10.5 car here. I just wanted to take this opportunity to jab at ORSCA for banning the C-rotor....;)

Richard Gavle

7. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

A d-series can make 58-60 at the proper overdrive
    i've heard one racer switched and didnt see a increase

8. JRB

JRB Guest

The C Rotor is definitely the prefered between the 2. The output is higher per revolution. But both are better than a roots blower IMO as far as a total package.

As far as the C rotor banned from ORSCA, that's ridiculous. Talk about reacting before you even have an event. But whatever, Gil and the guys will just put a D on it and still beat the guys that were calling for the change to begin with. :eek:

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I guess when I said Outlaw that included ORSCA.
    Shawn I don't think that you can spin a D rotor high enough to equal a C rotor and if you could then it uses more HP to spin it so you are still going to lose. Also if you put that kind of OD on a D rotor then you a going to break belts because the top pulley is going to be so small. If you spin the C and D at the same OD the C rotor is going to make more boost if the motors are the same.

And yes it is possible to switch from a good Roots to a screw blower and not see I change if one doesn't understand the difference in the fuel systems between the two. I have seen numerous racers run Roots type high speed lean outs on a screw blower and never get the car to perform. I have even suggested to some guys that their fuel system is all wrong and suggested to them what needs to be done and have them get all pissed off at me. At that point I will walk away and just let them tire shake and screw up:D.

10. JRB

JRB Guest

While I agree with most of the stuff you say, Mike, saying you cant use high speeds to pull fuel on a screw car is not true in ALL instances. There are numerous cars that do, but its all about how the fuel system is done. I know a bunch of cars that do and run very fast too. Not trying to start an argument. Just saying I see it different.

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

If somebody is pulling fuel out on a screw blower such as a high speed lean out then they are missing all the fun. Yes, they can get away with it and run fast but just imagine how fast they could run if they did it correctly. I believe in Norm Drazy and what he states about the efficiency of a screw blowers versus that of a Roots blower and where the fuel is needed. It is all based on blower boost, engine rpm and Air Fuel Ratio and I am not going into it more than that because that will cost $$$$$ and I will upset people that get paid to tune these cars. You can call me and I will talk about it privately to you.

12. aj481x

aj481x Member

For what it's worth, we never take any fuel away from a roots. At least at low OD it doesn't help.

13. Lonnie Houde

Lonnie Houde Member

Mike. Your not serious are you?????????:eek: Because if you are, everybody please send all fuel management systems to me, and I will buy for 30 cents on the dollar. Please private message me for more contact info.

Lonnie Houde

14. aj481x

aj481x Member

We may have a little misunderstanding here. What I was talking about was high speed type lean outs which we don't use, not about managing the overall fuel system going down the track, which we do a lot of.

15. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Lonnie, maybe you are not reading my post correctly or are interpreting it incorrectly. I am saying that a screw blower needs a low speed lean out or as some people call it a high speed enrichment circuit which is reverse to a Roots blower which needs and high speed leanout or as some call a high speed bypass.

16. Creech

Creech Member

I think any injected alcohol or gas car can benefit from taking fuel out in the lower gears. It's really no secret : http://www.dmpeinc.com/ explains how it might be done on his website.

Top Alcohol Funny Car / Supercharged Pro Mod

(In our example we will use a 3 stage jet log with a .080"jet in Position 1, a .060" jet in position 2, and a .030"jet in position 3)
    A funny car normally runs a 3 speed transmission. Each gear loads the motor differently. It is easy to consider there is less load on the engine in low gear than there is when the car is in high gear. (Less gear multiplier) Therefore it’s easier to understand that the engine will require more fuel in high gear than in low gear.
    In this situation we would have a 3 jet log installed (jets as indicated above) and the fuel system set rich allowing for the burn out and also staging the car.
    We will have a switch under the clutch pedal "or" under the throttle peddle telling our fuel control the run has started. (We will call this W.O.T. for wide open throttle).
    At W.O.T. we will open the first jet. Knowing the motor is rich and needs to be cleaned up we will open jet #1 (.080" jet)
    At the fuel log the .080 jet is opened and fuel bypassed from the engine and leans the fuel curve. Cleaning the motor up and allowing it to accelerate freely.
    Now as the car is shifted into 2nd gear we will close the .080 jet and open the next jet in the log order (jet #2).
    In our example we have an .060 jet in the 2nd jet position. Now we have richened the motor by .020". We did this to give the motor fuel back knowing it is under a greater load than previously seen in low gear. Also, we know that cylinder head chamber temperature is rising as well and this will require fuel to control.
    Now the car is shifted into high gear. We now close the .060 and open a .030 jet. Again we have richened the motor knowing the load has again increased. The multiplier in the trans in now 1 to 1 (no multiplication) and we are also aware that we have plenty of chamber temperature we need to deal with, and lastly aerodynamic drag is at its greatest point as the car is well past 200mph.
    In this example we used the fuel log to control the engines fuel requirements as the car progresses down the race track. It allows us to have a "tune up" for each gear as we can see each gear gives us a new situation we need to tune about.
    Many experienced alcohol tuners will use 4 and 5 jets on top of the 3 jet system allowing them to lean and or richen specific areas within each gear as they see necessary on there specific situation. This gives tuners control to control the fuel flow in as many ways as they feel necessary.

You dont even really need a timer if you use a high enough check pressure and shut the jets off with the gears.
    My dads gas carbureted car picks up two tenths turning the notched floats around backwards in the back carburetor. The notches keep g-forces from pinching the fuel off and it wants some fuel out of it in the bottom of low. Notched floats can slow a tunnel rammed small block car a full quarter second, they really overfuel in low gear for the correct a/f ratio under load in high gear.
    A high speed as its called can benefit a roots blown car by putting enough fuel in it staging and leaving and then cleaning it up once its on step. If it doesnt improve the 330' its useless.

I almost forgot, so could c rotors in a d case sneak past tech?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  17. Matt

Matt Member

C and D rotor case externally are the same, rotor bore is larger on the C and unless you take the rear injector body out you can't tell, usually the performance difference will be the tell tale espesially the MPH at the stripe.

18. Bob69

Bob69 Member

Amazing what comes out of what you think is a simple question.
    Thanks gentlemen.

19. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

To clarify, when i said i've heard one one racer switch and not see a difference, i was talking from a d to a c series.
    I know plenty d's fast in outlaw trim, we spin mine less than 125
    with 11 mm belts, the belts hold up better than on the roots.
    Somebody pm me some boost levels off a c rotor i would like to compare to mine

20. TOL

TOL Active Member

Isn't there also a visible difference in the width of the flat section between the female rotors, D versus C, with the D being wider and the C being narrower? All I have here is a C to look at.........