PSI Blowers vs A/FUEL

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by ROF, Sep 20, 2003.

1. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

I think most will agree that the constant fighting between A/Fuel vs Blown is doing nothing but hurting the class.

It occurred to me this morning that with the success of the new PSI TF blower will Norm Drazy have the time, desire or motivation to keep making the D-Alcohol blower?

I remember reading a post by Randy Goodwin that indicated that he was waiting a longer than normal time in getting his new blower for next year. Could this be because the sales have dropped on the D blower and the cost to manufacture out weighs the profit of the sale.

It seems to me that if this is indeed the case, the problem will fix itself when like the Whipple there will be no more blowers to be bought.

This is just food for thought.

2. paalexander

paalexander New Member

F-O-R: Thanks for your concern about the situation of PSI. Here are the facts:
    (1) Norm and I are passionate about the PSI screw blower. It has been his dream since 1979, and mine since shortly after that. You cannot imagine how crushing it was to be banned by Top Fuel before we ever even got to make a run down the track, then the copycat bans by IHRA and NTPA -- all because of the performance advantage that we thought everyone would want. We'll stop building the screw blower when we can no longer sell one, and no sooner.
    (2) The market for the screw has not dropped off. TAFC, Europe, and Australia are keeping us very busy producing Ds. Drag boats and outlaw pro-mods are using the C, and another new market, not yet announced (but supposed to be today) will open up new sales for the C. Offshore boat racing sales are exploding (perhaps a bad choice of a word).
    (3) Randy (I think) was joking with us. In fact, he got his blower on schedule (Randy -- please help with this one!).
    (4) We just spent more than I care to think about doubling our capacity for making blowers. Don't count us out yet.
    (5) We haven't wanted to push the gizmo as a solution to the parity problem only because we want our customers to feel that we have no "hidden agenda." The fact is, however, that allowing the gizmo would go a long way toward solving the problem. The much touted expense to convert is probably the smallest of all the options being considered. Here's why: (1) the market for used Ds continues to be strong (see above), so a purchase of a new blower and the sale of the old would combine to produce a much smaller figure than most people are saying. (2) There's plenty of data to establish the necessary fuel system changes without a lot of expensive on track testing and accompanying potential for parts damage. (3) I think it might lessen the level of anger and vituperation now existing in the class, which I see as very harmful for many reasons. I could go on, but you probably don't want to read any more.

3. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

Wellll I guess that answered that. You guys make a very GOOD product and there is no need for Randy to explain. It sounds like I missunderstood his post.

I do have a question for you.

If NHRA would allow the TAD/Blown to increase the overdrive would that not give them more boost? I know the FC overdrive use to be set at 125 over and the dragsters are running alot slower. The cost would then just be a pulley or two.

[ September 20, 2003, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: F-O-R ]

4. The Zone

The Zone Member

You answer a lot of questions that many people have Pat. I am guessing that your reasoning on the 'gizmo' is why Len imbrongo stated to me a couple days ago that Norm was not interested in building it for the BAD's at this time. But that being said, if the NHRA was willing to look at the gizmo as one of the possible solutions to the parity issue, I would think that Norm would go out of his way to make the BAD's more competitive especially when he is so set about the A/Fuelers being bad for the class (mostly due to the safety issues and the fast that their potential is so great, his words not mine). My feeling on the expense thing is much like your's as well. I have had racers say to me that we don't need any more high dollar expenses. Well, to sell the old one and purchase the new one would be less than 6 grand I would say. What are a set of heads worth, or a Brad block!. Its not like you need two or three PSI's. I would think that the sale of 50-80 "C" blowers would be a pretty good financial undertaking. You should really lobby for the blower to be part of the class. That along with the new Davenport/AFT clutch and you would see over a tenth improvment I would say.
    Dean Murdoch, SpeedZone Magazine

5. paalexander

paalexander New Member

Dean and F-O-R: Thanks for the kind words. The last few days, it's been kinda hard to turn on the computer. Dragsters are running at their maximum overdrive -- an SFI limit that NHRA doesn't control. It has to do with the size of the engine (smaller than TAFC) and safety -- which of course we don't want to mess with. Dean, Norm feels now that he might have made a mistake in his conversation with Len -- he was trying so hard to downplay PSI's roll in TAD that he probably overcompensated! For one thing, he underestimated the AFD participants' determination to fireball any attempt to solve the problem -- or even admit it exists. As a result, giving something to blown alcohol, rather than making a change in AFD, no matter how small, might go down better and create less animosity. It might, however, be difficult to get over NHRA's worry about speeds on low-quality tracks.

6. Michael Gunderson

Michael Gunderson New Member

Pat, believe this or not I agree with you. I have said all along that instead af slowing down progress be it a/fuel or blown let the sport move forward. Now all you have to do is get people to step forward instead of back.MG

7. K.Brown

K.Brown New Member

YEAH...What Michael said...........

KB

8. showard

showard New Member

For the past couple of years the racers with a blown alcohol combination participating in the Top Alcohol Dragster class have been requesting rule changes which would allow them to compete closer to the level of the injected nitro cars. There was only indifference from the injected racers for the widening margin being experienced in TAD between the two types of combinations.

Michael, you're one of the many with which I had a one on one conversation, concerning the use of another blower. Now, I'm sure your crew member will chime in here and spew some slandering statements directed at me as I've become very familiar with those tactics. I've been ignored as well as criticized numerous times for suggesting that the blown cars be allowed to speed up instead of slowing the injected cars down.

It's interesting that there was absolutely no support from the injected nitro contingent which would allow for BAD increased performance until now.

Shelly

9. Michael Gunderson

Michael Gunderson New Member

Shelly, just to let you know I am not in favor of anyone bashing anyone else. As for my last post I do agree if they want to let the blown cars spend the money instead of making us change everything, go for it. It sure is'nt in our hands and I think the rest of the bs has gotten way out of hand. I for one think no matter what is done it will never be enough to please everyone.MG

10. showard

showard New Member

Michael,

I agree that you can't please everyone.

Possibly, if the class as a whole had attempted to work together earlier, there wouldn't be the polarization which exists within TAD at this point in time.

There are people that I respect and admire that run both combinations.

Shelly

11. Wendland

Wendland Guest

Shelly,

As I posted in another thread, I am sorry for any remarks that I may of made towards you. I know you stance on parity and I respect you views on these issues. I know A/FRO representatives would like to meet with TAD TARA members to discuss current issues. If we can both agree to one thing, NHRA may be willing to changes that WE,(TAD and AFUEL) offer...

My only concerns with speeding the class up as a whole is that there are tracks that we run now that are not safe for the e.t.'s and speeds everyone is running. From guard rails, to surface issues, to shut down areas. There are tracks we should not be running on. How do you folks feel about this?

Just to also let the TAD members in, most of our discussions in AFRO are about what limits that we can put on A/FUEL cars and still hope to be competitive. We don't want to make a parking lot out of either cars.(TAD, A/FUEL)

Shelly, if you would let me, I would like to personally apologize to you in Joliet... If you say no, I'll understand...

Rob Wendland

12. TAD racer

TAD racer New Member

Sounds like Mr. Wendland has a few feathers protruding from his mouth....... :D :D :D

13. showard

showard New Member

During the Top Alcohol Racers Association/NHRA meeting held at the U.S. Nationals, results of the TARA TAD/TAFC questionnaire were discussed. One of the major concerns as listed in order of priority by the responding racers/teams was track safety. NHRA responded positively to those concerns and TARA is is the process of forming a safety committee in order to work hand in hand with the NHRA and the divisional tracks.

The TARA questionnaire furnished the participants in the Top Alcohol classes a vehicle by which to voice their views and concerns as well as furnish feedback and suggestions to NHRA. During the meeting there was also a positive discussion concerning the promotion and marketing of TAD/TAFC and the teams which participate in the classes. It was a very positive and informative meeting.

Even though there was a much larger percentage of respondents that answered yes to there being a parity problem in TAD, than those that answered to the contrary, I can assure you that parity was not prioritized as the main issue while meeting with NHRA. Lack of parity in TAD is a major concern to those that race a blown dragster and yes it's important for the issue to be addressed, but there are many issues confronting TAD and TAFC which deserve attention also.

NHRA was very interested in the feedback which the participants provided via the questionnaire and was positive and open to working with TARA.

The minutes of the meeting with NHRA will be available on the Top Alcohol Racers Association web site next week.

Shelly

14. Wendland

Wendland Guest

Shelly,

In the replies that you had received, what percentage was TAD vs. A/Fuel? Do the numbers reflect as a whole, or is it divided like the TAD members voted.....and the a/fuel members voted....Would the voting be lop sided because of this then?

I'm just wondering because I know that a lot of a/fuel racers didn't fill the questionaire out...I know a lot of them felt like TARA was an orginazation for blown racers who were upset about parity...I could be very wrong with my line of thinking. But how many members of TARA are a/fuel drivers or owners? How many members of TARA are drivers or owners? This would really help us out to know.

I know that a/fuel is the minority of the TAD class. Majority rules. A/FRO is trying to get the voice of A/Fuel together. That is the first step. It's hard to have an organization with such different opinions as a whole. I guess I look at are current government. The whole two party issue. It works, all though sometimes not pretty. A/FRO is willing to offer it's questionaries to help TARA provide information to NHRA...Would that be a consideration that TARA might accept?

By the way, buy not answering my final question on my last post, I'll take that as a NO?

Rob Wendland

15. TheBlondeCrewChief

TheBlondeCrewChief Almost A/F

16. Max Power

Max Power New Member

Rob,

Your whole attitude is reactionary. TARA is and has on been a stance of being Proactive.

17. Wendland

Wendland Guest

And I think that is great!!!!!But, could someone please give me the answers that I asked for.

Blown members=______ of Tara

A/Fuel members=______ of TARA

TAFC= _______ of TARA

TARA members that own or drive= ______

TARA members, fans, crew members, crew chiefs= _____
    What's so hard about that.....If there is equal resprentation than I will quit and resign form my current endeavor....

By the way TAD Racer, never have ate crow....Maybe you can tell me how it tastes someday.....

Rob Wendland

18. Wendland

Wendland Guest

By the way, I know that there are 65% blown and 35% a/fuel so the numbers should reflect that right?

19. TheBlondeCrewChief

TheBlondeCrewChief Almost A/F

I don't think the questionnaire that is being discussed will reflect those particular numbers since that particular questionnaire ("what's most important issue") was sent out (at NHRA's request) to all alcohol class racers that TARA could get contact info for.

If someone received a questionnaire and filled it out, their opinion was counted as a vote, regardless of TARA membership. If they did not return it (I believe the return address was Tate Branch's), it was not counted.

Although I know that doesn't answer all of your questions, Rob, I would think that should relieve your greatest fear: that TARA doesn't care about A/F opinions and needs.

20. Wendland

Wendland Guest

10/4 Debi!!

But, can't they get us the membership info? How many TAD, Afuel. TAFC members?

By the way, had a great talk with David!!!!

Rob