Pros and Cons of Using Foam in the Fuel Cell

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Mike Canter, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

What are the pros and cons of using that black foam in the fuel cell with alcohol? Should I use a fuel filter and if so do I put it before or after the pump? If it is after the pump then who makes one that can handle the flow and pressure. If it is before the pump then who makes the best one to handle the flow. How many microns should I use.....60 microns, 80 microns?

2. altered boy

altered boy Outlaw Altered

here's my two cents...

not sure what everyone else is doing but take into consideration how small a piece of debris in your fuel system can be and cause MAJOR melt down issues. I would not run a cell with foam in it... just for that reason. and guard your fuel cell... only open it just before you fill it, then cap it right back up. filter your fuel into the jugs and again into the tank. as for a filter on the engine... the promod car i wrenched on as well as my car have had great results with the 11" long system 1 filter with a stainless filter element. performance wise my mind tells me i'm better off without a filter... but i like having that last little line of deffense.

sean
    www.metalmafiaracing.com

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

i dont know that anyone in any top alcohol category runs foam in the fuel cell. just too many risks associated...peice of foam gets into fuel system...clog a nozzle, then the all too familiar PUHTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWwwwwwwwww of the burst panels..

most, if not all top alcohol cars run aluminum tanks with baffles. the baffles allow fuel to flow freely to the back of the tank where the pickup is, but not forward under decel.

as far as fuel filters go, i would highly reccomend one. start off with the system 1 long fuel filter mentioned above. send it to whoever flows your fuel system that way it can be compensated for. we run one on jason's car, and it doesn't seem to hurt performance. it greatly reduces the risk of getting trash in the nozzles, which usually ends up to dead motors. it really gives alot of peice of mind.

scrap the foam idea, get a filter....thats my .02

thanks for reading the site.

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Thanks Sean and Will. I will scrap the foam and will use the filter.