Promotion of the TAD-TAFC classes?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Kevin Brown, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

I for one feel that we need to promote the class as all of us do....I have a shop building the drivers photo stand like the pros have, I think its a good idea on a way to educate people on the classes I also think they need to be uniform (everyones needs to be the same) any ideas? would EVERYONE be up for something like this? We feel that we don't get the promotion and respect we derserve and I think this would be a step in the right direction.

They will build them in 2 or 3 pieces for easy teardown and storage, chrome plated etc....when they get the first one done we will know the price...I will be able to factor the price over a group purchase of atleast 50 that will keep the cost way down.

IZZY owns a printing company and I have not spoke with Jeff yet but I'm sure he would be very helpful in printing the headshots (at a special price) or know someone who could get it done (for those who have not seen Jeffs work.....WOW) His hero cards are real nice...

People, we all feel the same (EVERYONE in the TAD TAFC) that we need promotion. This will have to be an "ALL or NONE type of deal.....if anyone has a better idea on this or on any other promotional ideas by all means please post them...If we don't promote the class....who will?

Kevin

2. topfuell

topfuell New Member

Re; I Second

I agree.....but i hold something over jokers head. This was tried years ago. (TARA) sticking together for the good of the class is the tough thing. i can say as good as everyone in TARA tried, we couldnt have a meeting with out PARITY coming up. The good of the class is : parking, run times, promotion of the class, add tickets, between round time, etc. I SURE HOPE ALL CAN AGREE ON THIS. CAN WE ALL JUST AGREE??????

3. Izzy

Izzy New Member

Thanks for the kind words Kevin. I would be more than happy to help out any racers that would like hero cards. It's the least I can do to help out everyone that has helped me out.
    Jeff
    P.S. I do them for A-Fuel teams as well at no additional charge lol

4. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Wow

The response is overwhelming....LOL

KB

5. Chsbldr

Chsbldr Member

Kev,
    I built the hero card stand for Aaron.
    I am not sure of the type and style that you are having built but I can do many differant designs with my CNC Plasma cutter. Let me know if you need any help with this project...
    And yes IZZY yours is coming!!! LOL hey I need that silhouette of your logo still....

6. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Ralph, these are not hero card stands....Headshot stands like the big boys have...Tall chrome stands with a 20"x24" headshot of the TAD or TAFC racer with name and class......I will let you know how the first one turns out...you coming up tomorrow?
    KB

7. Chsbldr

Chsbldr Member

Oh okay... that would be way cool!!!
    It maybe sunday before I can get up that way... I am having to get my ducks in a row with the buisness stuff and move things around in the shops. As it is I will soon no longer have any affiliation with my Ex-Buisness A-Z Motorsports as you well know the story.

8. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

316 views and 3 people respond? is it me? or does someone else want to do this?

If we don't promote the class we will lose it....mark my words....

If you would rather not respond here...call me with your thoughts....801.726.2854 Kevin

9. topfuell

topfuell New Member

Re: Bad Idea????

guess no one thinks its a good idea. or no one wants their puss up on a 2x3 card at their trailer. we need these ideas to egg our class on to get the WHOEVERS to realize we are not just some filler classs. We might be barking up a DEAD tree but it doesnt help to have a GOAL. I never thought i would run 5.16 either. We need ideas. WE need everyone, hairdryers, a/fooolers, funny cars, to participate. We all bitch but not alot actively participate. Maybe this a chance to do something. TARA tried. There are more ways to skin a dead cat. LETS BRING IT BACK TO LIFE. just a dream here, BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

10. Joe Windham

Joe Windham Jr. Dragster

I'm all for it. Anything to promote the class is a good thing. It may make it easier for the fan to approach the driver as well. I think if the fans get to talk to someone in the pit, and it is a good experience, they will feel like they know someone on the "inside." That is what all the TV time does for the pros.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  11. Flamin Raymond

Flamin Raymond New Member

Hero cards are a great idea, perhaps we could use some of the photos taken by David Smith, or others, that can be accessed through this site. Maybe we could grab an Event photograher at a Div or National to get some driver pictures in the staging lanes or pits for use. I feel that the cards may only appeal to the young fans at events though. Some other ideas that have been in other posts were larger decals of the class "promoters" like ESPN and Lucas Oil are also great ideas. How about we all put a large InsideTop Alcohol.com decal prominently displayed on each car. Letting fans know they can interact with drivers and crew on this site and get inside information on the class here. Maybe there could be special fan section here so they can better understand the class and some of its differences. I crew in Div1 and whenever we see some fans stopping to look someone in our pit will tell them to come over and get a better look and ask if they have any questions, we always put kids in the seat and let the parents take a picture or we take one and email it to them as soon as possible. We always get a new fan or 2 at each race that comes back between rounds and asks what happened and why. We had one fan who hung around to long and we put him to work, cleaning, getting tools and stuff, well he went to Hawleys school for the Mechanical course and does a lot more to the car now. It is up to us to put fans in the stands. I have some pictures on disc that show our team through the years, racing blown up, burnt up, frustrated, goofing off and working on the car. If I can I want to run the pictures on a screen at the back of the trailer so fans will stop and look at them perhaps gaining interest and another guy in the stands to watch us run.

12. Hank

Hank New Member

Great Idea

Hey I'm Glad to see that someone is thinking about where we need to go.
    and not who is getting there fastest. LOL.
    This is a great idea, Might concider a combo stand with the hereo cards and the 2x3 photo board to put out a your pit site.
    I think the lucas and ESPN background might help keep the series sponsors on good terms also.

13. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

I agree, in fact after seeing IZZY, Chsbldr and raymond's post I let them know we needed a hero card box (if they can't do it I know Chsbldr Ralph can) so it can be bought with or without and that way each team can have the hero card box personalized or plain...we will have a price both ways....also I was thinking that we could put a Lucas sticker (would be more vibrant that way) on the headshot....ESPN would be good as well....

Right now some of the prices are in....Materials (Plate for foot, 2 round tubes for upright, 20"x24" frame and 1/8"x20"x24" plexiglass backer) around 60.00 Labor is 100.00 (min order is 50) if they are not bought in quantity the labor cost goes to 140.00 each and materials go to 75.00. The only price I don't have is plating of the stand and the price for printing the headshot...Yo IZZY....the proposed size is 20"x24". Needs to be printed on heavy card stock....Idea on cost of printing? I for one think that we need atleast 6 per racer....(fans stealing them, weather etc...)

Thanks Dave, Joe, Jeff, Hank, Ralph, Raymond and everyone else for chiming in on this......we need EVERYONE or this won't work. I know we can come together to promote the classes...shit, we have to....no one else is going to do it....

TAFC folks.....this is for you as well....

Let's start out 2006 showing the world that we are NOT redheaded stepchildren....

Kevin

14. Izzy

Izzy New Member

Kevin, give me a call on monday. I'll be willing to do what ever I can to help.
    Jeff

15. Chsbldr

Chsbldr Member

http://community.webshots.com/photo/306567886/407122099mdAIJw
    Here is a photo of Aarons hero card stand I built. I have dragster and funny car silhouettes already in my computor but I am open to any sugestions in designs if any one is interested.
    I am now a full time crew member of his team so I will be avalible at the tracks or send me a PM...
    Ralph

16. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Nice stuff Ralph.....as is all you build.... top shelf stuff...congrats on the new job with Aaron! I kinda figured it was coming.....

Kevin

17. yellowbullet

yellowbullet New Member

nice work dude

18. Nitro Joe Jackson

Nitro Joe Jackson New Member

Bill Howell of Howell Printing

Bill Howell runs stock eliminator and owns Howell Printing in Aiken, SC, he prints my stat books for me and does a perfect job on them, he also does hand outs and trading cards for racers. His number is 866-802-6097, tell him you want the "Nitro Joe" discount.
    Hope this some help

19. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Dave, seems your right.....over 800 views and less than a dozen replies..

Well we tried....if someone else wants to do something else...let me know....

Kevin

20. Jonathan Johnson

Jonathan Johnson New Member

Driver Stands

I agree. I think this would be a great way to help promote the drivers, which will promote the class. I agree with putting the Lucas and ESPN logos on the pics, but they need to be digital images on the pic, NOT stickers! That looks a little afterthought guys, and ESPN and Lucas have been anything but afterthoughts in promoting the sportsman guys. So with that being said, Im all for this, as long as we're not out an arm and a leg. In fact I think most should be in favor of this. A head shot with Lucas, ESPN logos, as well as major sponsor logos, would be a great way to get more notariety. Each team could take the logos as far or as minimal as possible. That of course would have to be between the team and printer/printers. But as for this and any other ideas, I'm definitely up for it. Keep me posted.

JJ