promod power

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by bob szabo, Jul 28, 2008.

1. bob szabo

bob szabo FC / altered

Does anyone know how much power the pro mods are making on those 240 MPH runs?
    bob szabo
    www.racecarbook.com

2. aj481x

aj481x Member

With the fuel and timing management being currently used the power output on the track really doesn't relate to dyno numbers. A fast, lean dyno sweep will be in the 2700 hp. range. (20% Rootes)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  3. JRB

JRB Guest

About 2700 for a legal car. Obviously its going to be +/- a bit, but a rough figure is about that much.

As far as some screw blower cars, its probably around 3000, +/-...

4. bob szabo

bob szabo FC / altered

pro mod power

Thanks for the info. According to math based on some old chrysler equations that relate power and weight to MPH, those pro mod runs over 240 are in the 3000 HP range. Any opinions?
    Bob Szabo
    www.racecarbook.com

5. JRB

JRB Guest

They could be close with the way you can pull fuel out with fuel management nowadays. Seeing that on a dyno you just get to run it off the main and high speed(s), you can probably pick up a bit here and there with the management systems. But i still don't think that the LEGAL, 20% overdrive guys make 3000 HP. Theres no doubt in my mind that a Screw blown car can reach those numbers though. Of course altitude and weather come into play.

This is just my opinion. Could be wrong or right? Hope this helps out.

Bob, have you been at the last few Races at Sacramento? I didnt see you there?

6. bob szabo

bob szabo FC / altered

Busy past; looking for good racing future

Regarding Sac, no I have not been there. Both my Mom and my Mother-in-law died over the last couple months. And we moved. I am an orphan and homeless. And I am working frantically on some new racing books.
    Also looking for a shop or a home with space. Not sure where. Maybe Sacramento, Ca. or anywhere else close to great drag racing. Anyone have some leads?
    Most of the threds on this great site are about various problems and real good solutions.
    An inquiry instead to Jason Bunker, I am curious about your successes and your setup. Could you tell us some info about your race engine? It is a site to behold. And very radical sounding!
    Bob Szabo, author of Fuel Injection Racing Secrets and 5000 Horsepower on Methanol
    www.racecarbook.com

7. JRB

JRB Guest

Ya, I work for Randy Kay on his Outlaw Pro Mod car out here (CA), and we have made some big strides with the setup. Its a 63 Corvette, with an AJE 481X, with a PSI screw on top. Its a C rotor, and the whole setup was done by my Good friend Lonnie Houde. He and I have become good friends the last year and a half, and were just trying to sort out the combo. Seeing that we use a Bruno, the converter deal was tough to figure out with the amount of HP we have now.
    We have been 6.25 @ 236.74 and hold the MPH record for a automatic pro mod which is a neat accomplishment.

Lonnie and I have also started a website www.LHPRacing.com, so if anyone needs any help, feel free to let us know.:cool:

8. sean70ss

sean70ss Member

fule mgmt

Jason,
    Do you guys use fuel mgmt with your psi c? How much boost differance is there bewtween a d or c?
    Thanks,
    sean

9. JRB

JRB Guest

We use a 3 stage fuel management system. And contrary to what most say, we pull fuel OUT while going down... works for us..:D We see 52-55 lbs @ 108 over and with an altitude of 1500 feet.

10. sean70ss

sean70ss Member

fule mgmt

Thanks Jason. Appreciate the info I was thinking of using one on my set-up I have a d right now at 115 over. Who's mgmt do you use?

Thanks!

sean

11. JRB

JRB Guest

John Scialpi's, with a Dedenbear controller. But i would just go through DMPE and get his new one

12. bob szabo

bob szabo FC / altered

question to jason bunker

Tell us more about the engines you are building. Bore stroke, compression, cam lift, engine weight. Realize some of that stuff may be under the cuff. But I think your engine combo is real wild. It really sounds radical.

And the fine promod cars you also are doing. What do they weigh? Wheel base, time to build one, etc.

Bob Szabo
    www.racecarbook.com