Promod blowers?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Straitline, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Straitline

Straitline New Member

I'm looking for opinions on what is the best nhra promod legal blower. I've been around top alky boats and funnys so I have experience with screw blowers the only roots experience I have is AA gas 6-71. What kind of boost numbers and how often will I need to service\restrip that type of blower?

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I have seen dyno tests using the same motor with two different blowers swapped to compare the DMPE M5 to the Kobelco K-11 Superman at 20% OD NHRA legal setup The DMPE M5 made the most boost and the most horsepower. The question is how much $$$horsebucks$$$ do you want to pay and how competitve do you want to be. The other option at a little less money is the DMPE M4. The big difference between the M4 and the M5 is that you can change the top plate configuration on the M% and the M4 is fixed. If you want just a NHRA 20% configuration then the M4 will do you just fine.

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Part Two...sorry just read your post again. At 20% OD at 8000 RPM you can make 40+ lbs boost with the M5. As far as restripping will depend on if you use Prizm Gel spray in your blower or not and how rough your competition is. I would say every 12 runs would be best. You will have to watch your boost and see when it falls off.

4. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Does the Prism Gel increase HP along with maintaining those higher HP numbers for more runs? hope that made sense.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Probably does because it allows for better sealing inside the blower so the boost is a little higher.

6. ggracing

ggracing Member

Pro Mod Blower

I believe the fast pro mod guys have a very high dollar, very trick blower that you cannot buy of the shelf. Some start with the M5 and modify it even further. From what I have heard a trick 5.80 blower will set you back 30-40k. The blower is where all the power is made in Pro Mod.

7. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

Hi straightline...Iam a dealer for prizm spray..but you also have 1 in your neck of the woods Mert Littlefield..we sell it for $7.00 per can and its the big can..good luck and if you buy from Mert they are great people..Dave Lowe

8. JP

JP Member

Mike

How many NHRA promods are currently running a M5 or M4 without too many mods?

I know like 8 or more team are running either troys or chuck Ford unit which cost in the 18000 range... What i really would like to know is a true test between a stock M5 to a really good blower ..

9. Blown540

Blown540 Blown Alcohol Dragster

M-4 with Interchangable shoe

We run the M-4 and it does have the interchangable shoe in the top for more or less of an opening for air for different drive ratios-THANKS-Jim

10. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Coatings

We Coated our own roots blowers and that made the best gains. Almost zero rotor clerance! and moving the bottom opening forward also helped. Changing the top openings only seem to adjust for rotor speed.

Also if you work on them yourself you can run less end frame clearence. ETC..

1999 our first set of k-8 rotors the way they rolled in to each other we new that alone would be a big improvment!

Mark

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Some thoughts on blowers for 20% OD NHRA. Like I said before first you are going to have to decide on how much money you can afford and how competitive you want to be. The blower, the length of the top opening in the blower, the hat, and the spacer between the hat and the blower is where the power is. All needs to be matched and adjusted for max boost. I believe that one pound of boost is equal to 150-170 HP and I might be a little conservative in my estimation. Some of these exotic blowers mentioned in previous posts can only be leased for a race at a time and I believe you would have to have very deep pockets or a great sponsor to afford the cost of the lease. You don’t even get to touch the blower or the hat. It is put on for the race then disappears after the race. I believe that Al Billes was the first one to start doing this and now others have followed. This is a great way to keep the modifications secret and to keep in business. The Chuck Ford blower (CFH) claim to fame is in the billet case. The billet case corrects the inaccuracies of the cast case so that the rotors fit better and the clearances are the same from front to back. It appears from the outside that the Chuck Ford blowers is a billet Superman or very close to it. As was said these have an $18000 price tag. I have heard that the blower sold by Troy is in fact a Chuck Ford CFH blower. If not then somebody correct me. The DMPE M4 and M5 both have the same X3 rotors and the big difference is that the M5 is more tunable because of the removable pieces on the top. The M4 is fixed on the top. The M series blowers have a cast case but also can be ordered with billet cases and are yours to keep. The M series cast cases are very accurate in tolerances from front to back. The regular K-11 Superman is a very affordable 20% OD blower but does produce a little less boost. There are guys that can modify the Superman to get some more boost BUT by the time you buy the blower and pay to get it modified you will find that the total cost is the same as buying a new M5 and the M4 would have been a little cheaper and the M series would have still produced more boost.

12. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Mike

I'm surprised to see you write, "I believe that one pound of boost is equal to 150-170 HP and I might be a little conservative in my estimation."

Please explain the typical setup that would gain that much by a pound. IE 526 hemi, promod, 9500 RPM, 50 lbs boost, ect.

13. badbird

badbird New Member

The troy critchley blower uses a chuck ford case and troys own rotors

chuck ford blowers use a chuck ford case and troy critchley rotors

thats the deal troy makes the rotors and chuck the cases,

and the difference between the two are the personal preferences of the two guys who assemble and mod the cases they share info and compare their own results
    i was amazed when troy told me what his blowers make on the track psi wise
    was told that a pound of boost was worth 30 hp at that level

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  14. blown375

blown375 New Member

Mike, I just spoke to Troy and his "hammer" superchargers use "chuckies" cases but the internals (including rotors) and case mods are all Troys :D
    Troy works his tail off and as I understand it Chuck Ford and Troy have worked together for quite a long time!
    I've been to Troys shop and he has his own blower and injector R&D room with a blower dyno that uses a blown 481x as a mule motor.
    Troy has also been doing mods and coatings on screw blowers and has recently got into doing some Fuel blowers as well ! ;)

15. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

So who makes/machines Troy's rotors? You are saying both Chuck on Troy use Chuck's billet cases and Troy's rotors? Can you own one of these blowers or are they all leased? If you can own one for $18000 then what is different to the one they only lease and you never see inside;)?

So who else has NHRA 20% competitive blowers. We have the Troy and Chuck blowers amybe in more than one version, the different modified M4 and M5s? What is Al Billes have for a blower these days?

As far as horsepower per one pound of boost while just laying in the dental chair I realized I had put the one in front of the numbers. I figured it out to be 50-70 hp per one pound of boost but it is not linear because of the power required to turn the blower and the heat generated as you turn them faster.

16. ulf PM Swede

ulf PM Swede New Member

Hey Badbird, good luck this weekend!! I hope that you will put up some numbers on the scoreboards and that you can tell us if you liked your new blower after the weekend.

17. DQUES

DQUES Member

The M4 does have a removable top plate to swap for different O.D ratios .

18. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I believe M5 allows the whole top to be replaced to change the location and size of the inlet where as the M4 just allows you to adjust the size of the inlet. The M5 also allows you to change the bottom and the outlet.

19. ibaddlizzard@aol.com

sorry wrong thread Doc

20. blown375

blown375 New Member

I have a friend that tunes a car with a M5 on it and his biggest complaint about the M5 is, he feels that a blower that costs $13,500 should have better longevity ! He thinks it is too flimsy, He claims there M5 has a lot of rotor and case rub and it wears the striping out too quickly.