ProMag DRC

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Greg, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Greg

Greg New Member

Is the digital retard control by ProMag allowed in alcohol? Sure sounds neat, but is probably too good to be true. Just curious if it would be replacing the six shooter anytime soon. Also, who makes the little gold pneumatic timers/solenoids seen on many alcohol cars? I have seen some Decker Engineering ones out there, but I don't think they make these. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Greg

2. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

I talked with Joe Pando at the PRI Show, and he said they were still waiting on NHRA to make a decision on whether to allow the DRC in the alky classes. I've been watching their website and so far the decision, according to Ray Alley, is on hold.
    See ya,
    Marty

3. Greg

Greg New Member

Thank you Marty for the update.

Greg

4. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

NHRA has already given the ok to the top-fuel guys for this new deal. They have said that it might be allowed in the alcohol classes in the future, but not yet. The problem NHRA had with this deal was a possible traction control device. This is a digital timing control device that allows you to change the timing an infinite amount of times. NHRA was afraid that the device was too smart and they would not be able to detect the use of traction control. MSD made it so that a blinking light will appear if traction control is used and the only people that can turn off this light is NHRA.
    This device in itself would not have that great of an impact on alcohol cars because they dont need to change timing more than the 6 shooter can handle. However, MSD has made a deal that will allow you to change timing on each individual cylinder. That means if #2 is too rich and # 8 is too lean you can adjust accordingly. This would be a significant improvement for the class. NHRA and MSD are still looking into this possibility.
    I know some top fuel guys tested the basic one in Florida recently without the individual cylinder adjustments and it worked fine.

[ January 06, 2004, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: ch3no2 ]

5. Greg

Greg New Member

Thanks ch3no2. I appreciate the reply.

Greg

6. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

sweet,

so this means i can retard the timing in 50 small increments only one degree! have different timing in different cylinders! i think this is just what the tune up is calling for! hopefully you can encrypt your tune-up so other teams can't steal your 'technology'!

i'm tellin ya marty if we can get this and get our negative influx inverter geroter worked out, look out. we're also trying to get our hyperdrive unit back working too.!

:D :D :D :cool:

7. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

IF THEY LEGALIZE THAT BOX THE TALENTED A-FUEL GUYS WILL DROP INTO THE UH-.0 'S ! ITS NOT GOOD FOR THE CLASSES RIGHT NOW IN MY OPINION .
    I THINK IT'S GONNA BE TESTED WITH A 66 AMP MAG ? MAYBE BY TM WITH THE SETTLES PUMP AND FULL LINEAR FLOW IT WILL KEEP THE TRACK CLEAN ???? THE PARTS SHOULD FLY FARTHER DON'T YA THINK ??

8. TM

TM New Member

I'm getting the feeling by some of the wisecrack jokes that some people don't seem to care for ingenuity. Too bad. I choose to use my brain rather than follow everyone else.

9. alkyfan

alkyfan New Member

Hey Les, whats with the constant knocking of TM?

10. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

The shot really was at the novelty parts being introduced. The fact is that TM was the most recent to introduce a novel or novelty idea so I just tied them all together and suggested it will take someone like him to re-invent or modify the wheel.
    TM nothing wrong with ingenuity, keep in mind if you are bucking the system some of the landings are hard ! skepticism is hard to take and at times you just need to go out and prove the skeptics wrong (sometimes its too expensive to prove). ;) ;)

11. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

tm, if it wasnt for ingenuity, we'd still be running slingshots...

wasnt a knock on you. just a dumb joke i put up, more or less to mess with marty. i'm trying to get him and his team rattled for this next season.
    :D

12. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Will,
    I'm still trying to figure out how the lug nuts work, and you're springin' this new gizmo (sorry Norm) on me?
    Seriously, it looks like a good piece that could be more cost effective than 90% of the equipment on these cars.
    Have a great day,
    Marty