Priming oil system?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by dragster156, Sep 25, 2017.

1. dragster156

dragster156 Member

You guys running BAE, Aj etc motors with a wet sump system what are you doing to lube the motor before startup at each race?

Is it as simple as putting a 3 qt accusump in the car? And if so is that enough?

are people doing something else?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Brent

Brent Member

I have a 3 qt. accumulator and use the Peterson oil filter/ primer mount. I get 60 lbs. oil pressure in less than 10 seconds with a 3/8 cordless drill and refill the accumulator with it after a run.

3. dragster156

dragster156 Member

Didn't think of that. The Peterson primer mount would be the easiest - no reason for accumulator then.

4. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

I don't do any of that. Been running my KB and Brad hemis for several years, doing nothing for pre-lube other than leaving the magneto off while cranking the 3 seconds to build oil pressure and hit the mag power to fire the motor. Just this past week pulled the main caps and rod caps and the bearing were as new, no wear. Not sure that the pre-oiling is necessary on my motors. 526 14 roots alky in a dragster. 24 volt starter spins it like the plugs are out. Builds oil pressure in 3 seconds or less. Just saying.

5. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

Forgot to add, 3 seconds of cranking builds 120 pounds oil pressure.

6. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

Even on a new build or refresh, I only leave the plugs out and spin it with the oil filter line loose to vent the trapped air in the pump, tighten it when I see oil and watch the oil gauge peg at 120#+