pre-heating oil in car

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by hotrodharlkey, Nov 12, 2012.

1. hotrodharlkey

hotrodharlkey New Member

been on here looking[searching]on what everyone is using to preheat there oil..read where Dave said he used hot plates under his pan to heat the oil..i like that ideal instead of having to remove pan and weld on it[plus i have no tig welder and have a jeff johnson aluminum pan]on using the hot plates...i'm assuming you set them up against the bottom of pan..correct? how do i know how hot i'm getting the oil?do i shoot the oil pan with heat gun or what???
    even using a [say a moroso oil pan heater]how do i measure or check oil to see when i have it warmed up enough?

2. craigwilcox

craigwilcox New Member

Heaters.......

"IF".. the bottom of your pan is ribbed, the glue on type will have air spaces as the pad goes over the ribs. This does not allow for an even heat, causing the pad to short out. Been there, done that.

Stef's has a "Confined Element Oil Preheater" # 6770.

To check when the temperature is satisfactory, fill your oil pan with oil (on the bench ) and watch the clock / temp. that you desire.

3. hotrodharlkey

hotrodharlkey New Member

yep;;bottom of pan is ribbed..that elimates using a pad then..is there any heaters that chutes themselfs off or won't take oil above the 160 degree ;;don't want to overheat the oil incase i was to plug in and forget it till time to start eng.did think of way way that may work..is to put a oil temp gauge somewhere on car where i can see where i'm at BUT there be another sender unit in pan and another expense that trying to keep away from plus another area that could produce a leak..

4. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

I have pretty much tried every external method to heat oil in a pan, the stick on pads don't stay on, the hot plate idea will cook oil if left unattended. You may have to bite the bullet and put an element and guage bung in your pan. I use a Moroso element and an autometer guage, actually left to darn thing plugged in overnight once (don't ask), no issues. I've never leaked a drop of oil from them either.

I'm sure you could find someone in your area to weld in a couple bungs in your pan.

Corey

5. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Use a turkey fryer vat and two 500w submersible heater elements (available form Moroso) and heat to whatever you want then dump it in the motor.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

6. hotrodharlkey

hotrodharlkey New Member

are you useing electric or mech gauge?what moroso heater you using?do have a person that has been doing my tig welding on chassis putting tabs on..just trying to keep from drop pan but looks like i'll need to..

7. Vhodoo Racing

Vhodoo Racing New Member

Howdy...

Check out this crowd http://www.wolverineheater.com/category-s/1814.htm They do a stick on pad that goes between ribs on an oil pan. I have one of the 500W rectangle pads on my pan, I reckon if the ribs (swages) were not too pronounced that I could have got it to stick all the way. I had a JJ 2 piece pan and the swages are not that proud. Any how the heater works really well, I dont know how long it will stay stuck but at the moment it is doing the job.

Pete

8. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

I use this heater:
    http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?CatCode=15013

As far as the guage, its an older Procomp liquid filled mechanical, don't waste your time with electric guages. I don't know if Autometer makes that particular guage anymore but I'm sure they make something similar.