PR-RUSK- Steve Torrence preview

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by Will Hanna, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Conway Racing
    media relations

For Immediate Release
    June 9, 2005
    Email: Will.Hanna@InsideTopAlcohol.com

Torrence looking to stay hot at home track

RUSK, Texas - Rookie NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster pilot Steve Torrence rolls into his home track, Cherokee County Motorsports Park in Rusk, Texas, the hottest driver on the Lucas Oil tour for this weekend's Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event there. Torrence has been on a tear driving the Conway Racing A/Fuel Dragster, reaching the finals of his first event only three weeks ago, and winning his last two events in that span, including the O'Reilly Summer Nationals in Topeka, Kan.

Torrence, the 22 year old student from Kilgore, Texas, is living the dream all rookies aspire to, yet few attain - winning right off the bat. His success is in large part to car owner/tuner Tom Conway, a former two-time World Champion and eight time Division 4 Champion.

"I just hope nobody runs into me or pinches me; I'm afraid I'll wake up," said Torrence. "This is really a dream come true, to be able to do this well right off the bat. It's really all Tom and the team - the car they give me is just awesome. The pressure is really on me, because if the car doesn't win, it's really nobody's fault but my own. The car is that good. It's definitely a good feeling to have when you go to the line like that. This is our home race, so we really hope to do well out here and keep the roll going."

Despite the success, the team still has heavy hearts. Following Shelly Howard's tragic fatal accident three months ago, Conway, who tuned Howard for many years, purchased the entire operation from Howard's husband, Paul. The team, which remains in tact, cites their motivation from the fact they know Shelly would have adamantly wanted them to continue racing. Including the Division 4 opener in Houston which Shelly won, the car has reached the finals of every event it has entered this year.

Qualifying begins on Friday for the alcohol cars, with two more sessions on Saturday. Final eliminations will conclude the event. Stay tuned to InsideTopAlcohol.com for the latest news in alcohol racing.

To find out more about Conway Racing's fine marketing partners, visit the following sites:

Valvoline.com - Champions like Tom Conway rely on Valvoline to reach the winner's circle. Racers who know choose Valvoline.

NGKSparkPlugs.com - Choose the spark plugs that power Conway Racing to victory, NGK Spark Plugs.

Conway Racing would also like to thank St. Moritz Machine, Broken Arrow Powder Coating and Tulsa Sheetmetal.