poweglide fluid

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by vega funny, Feb 2, 2010.

1. vega funny

vega funny New Member

All you guys running power glides, what in your opinion is the best type of fluid?

2. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

Dextron-3 worked great for us when we ran a glide. we use it now in our B&J....works great there too.
    Darren

3. backmotor

backmotor Owner/Crewchief/Test Pilot

I was told by trans builder Alan Pope, to only run the Amsoil racing fluid (not the synthetic universal fluid) or it would have premature clutch wear from slippage :eek:

4. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Hot topic. Lots of research here. I switched to John Deere Hyd fluid. it does lower your stall by 200-400 RPM on average, but it takes heat much better.

Harder to read on the stick though (it's clear).

5. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

cat hyd fluid..Dave

6. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

Really....John Deere!!! :eek: You guys that run tractor hyd fluid.....How often did you change it? Any additives with it? :confused: I never heard of that before. Cool

7. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

Trans Fluid

John Deer But you may want to put some die in it. Can be hard to read. Also it tightens the converter up about 1 percent. Don

8. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

Neil Chance is now recommending amsoil synthetic compressor fluid, it has a super high flash point of 495° and a fire point of 522° and it also is supposed to provide excellent clutch lockup just like hydraulic fluid.

http://www.nealtrans.com/techinfo.html

9. BigB

BigB New Member

Some very cool info...........thanks guys.

10. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

fluid

Let me tell you a story. Last year I had a problem, on the Trans brake for a long long time. It got so hot it melted the The light weight braded lines going to the cooler. You COULD NOT put your hand on the case. Burnt all the clutches. Made a Big mess, the oil was smoking, + really smelled REAL bad, but was still clear, and after it cooled down still felt a little slippery. I really can't imagine anything hotter than that. in fluid form. It was John Deer and it was around $50.00 for 5 gallons. Got it @ Auto Zone. I am a true believer. Thanks + Good Luck. Don Onimus.

11. alcohol altered

alcohol altered New Member

I run Oreilly brand dexron 3. I change fluid once a year and run it in 6.70 blown altered. I tore trans down this year after 4 years of running and found a couple clutches burned.

12. Jezman

Jezman Member

I will tell you all this trans fluid is 95% mineral oil. So before you go spending high dollars on any synthetic stuff, It will still be 95% mineral oil.

13. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Synergyn makes an awesome fluid, supershift2 I believe, check out their website for info.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #44

14. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

The major differences between non racing sythetic or regular ATF and hydraulic or compressor oil are two things.

1, the amount of temperature that they can handle, 2, non racing , synthetic or otherwise transfluid has friction modifiers in it that allow the clutchs to slip easier.

While some turbo cars absolutely need the high heat capability due to a long time on the converter waiting on boost, its certainly a good thing on other high horsepower race cars, just in case ( I have worked on a car with a control box failure where the car left in 2nd gear two different times and ran 222-6 mph both runs and there was no damage to the trans or converter) as far as the friction modifiers go, from what I have read and heard (and believe) they are there to cushion shifts and serve no function in a racing automatic they just add heat damage to the clutch material since the clutch material can handle the shear load of quick lockup.

15. vega funny

vega funny New Member

Power glide fluid

so if one went to auto zone to buy John Deer Hydraulic fluid, does one ask for a specific kind or is it all the same?

16. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

Fluid

No There should be a few buckets of different hyd. fluid. in the store. But They should have the John Deer fluid. If you have a problem, e-mail me. My daughter works @ one, and I will try and get you more info if you need. You will not be sorry, Plus you will have enough to cycle fluid. Don e-mail donimus333@yahoo.com

17. Scouder

Scouder New Member

I think he meant that he wonders if there are more than one kind of John Deere hydraulic fluids, like different viscosity or something. I was going to ask the same thing.

-Scouder

18. Spud_Miller

Spud_Miller New Member

I've heard that "Chevron Synthetic All-weather THF" is even better than the John Deere fluid, is orange so you can see it and costs less. A 5 gallon bucket of it is $90. I'm going to try it this year.

Amsoil Supershift is getting smelly after a few passes and is a bunch more money.

Spud
    www.fuelinjectionent.com

19. Andy C

Andy C Member

Fluid

Please post John Deer part # that you got at autozone, or any othere fluid #'s.
    I have ran Tractor Supply hdy fluid.

Thanks.

20. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

fluid

I will get back to you as soon as my daughter gets back to me. Don