Pomona Win a True Homecoming for Ahten Family

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, Nov 14, 2013.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

Pomona Win a True Homecoming for Ahten Family

Pomona, CA – A young Johnny Ahten sat in the stands and dreamed of winning the Pomona Drags. Al Ahten, Johnny’s Dad, raced at many historic California Drag Strips and shared the same dream. Fast forward thirty years and Johnny is strapped into his Nitromethane Injected Dragster for the final round, his Dad standing behind him. His wife and two young sons are in the stands. As the race begins, Johnny Ahten the racer/kid-in-the-stands is ready. Al Ahten, the Crew Chief/Dad is ready. They have both been ready for this moment for years. Johnny inches the car in deep and turns off the top bulb. At the flash of yellow the cars launch. Johnny’s .016 light has him out in front. His opponent, number one qualifier and World Champ Jim Whiteley, is closing fast. Tireshake rears its ugly head and Whiteley is forced to get on and off the throttle as his car shakes, breaks, and tosses a blower belt. Johnny Ahten rockets ahead for the win. A 5.428/259.86 flashes in Johnny’s lane. A cylinder or two were out, but the time didn’t matter. Johnny Ahten crossed the finish line first at the race he always wanted to win. Al Ahten celebrated if he was a kid. In the crowd, Johnny’s two sons, as well as other youngsters, begin to dream of Pomona glory.

“This is the biggest race there is for us to win – it’s iconic,” said Johnny Ahten. “All I remember is at about 800-900ft I didn't see him. I kept waiting for Whiteley to come rocketing by. After I crossed the finish line I couldn’t tell if the win light in either lane was on. I began to think I had won, and hoping I didn't go red. I came around the corner and the top end workers directed me to the TV cameras. Then they all started running at me and pointing. I couldn’t believe it. The next thing I know they shoved a Wally in my hands. All I could think was, ‘Is this for me?’ I’m not sure when this will sink in, but I do know it will make the off season incredible,” added Ahten. “The response has been overwhelming with phone calls, emails, texts, and even flowers. It’s a real thrill.” Johnny Ahten went on to say, “All this was made possible with the help of Island Renovations, Combust Filters, NGK, DJ Safety, Hedman Hedders, Mechanix Wear, Fireman’s Brew, and Goodson Tools and Supplies.”

Johnny’s dream weekend started out with a lone qualifying session on Thursday. A 5.489/247.70 pass put the Island Renovations / Combust Filters car in the number twelve spot. In Friday’s second session, a 5.484/259.01 dropped them to #14. Crew Chief Al Ahten and crewmembers Howard Katano, Kevin Colvell, Chuck Costabile, Bob Ahten, and John Rogers worked in harmony to try and get the Stump Puller to go faster. The result was a final qualifying pass of 5.376/259.31 that propelled them into the #7 slot.

Saturday’s mid-morning start to eliminations saw cool air and track temperatures. Shawn Cowie would be the first round opponent. The Stump Puller filled the crisp air with Nitro as Johnny blasted off the starting line first. Cowie caught up quickly and it turned into a good old-fashioned drag race. At the finish line it was Ahten getting the close win with a 5.391/257.58 to Cowie’s 5.394/268.71. Even though Ahten never trailed, it was too close for comfort.

Sunday raceday began at 7am in the Ahten pits, allowing the team to prepare the car and form a plan. They would continue to massage the tune-up and race the track. The elusive higher mile per hour goal was still a mystery. Second round adversary Joey Severance got the advantage at the start. Johnny had that made up by the sixty foot mark. At the finish line, Johnny got the win with a 5.354/259.01 to a 5.493/249.26 for Severance. The victory was costly, as bits of aluminum were sacrificed. A new cylinder head had to be installed in addition to the regular between rounds maintenance. The team thrashed to get the car ready. Waiting in the staging lanes was #3 qualifier Mark Taliaferro. As the Sump Puller was pushed to the line, Johnny Ahten knew what he had to do. Taliaferro had beaten Ahten in the first round in Vegas just a few weeks prior. This time the chance to race in the finals was on the line. Johnny slapped a cosmic .012 light on Taliaferro at the hit. It proved to be enough as Johnny’s holeshot 5.368/258.76 beat Taliaferro’s quicker 5.303/272.01. The crowd and crew went wild and it was time to prepare for the finals. The Ahten Racing Team’s plan to get off the line, get down the track, and make it a good one was right on schedule. Shouts of encouragement serenaded the Ahten Racing team as they towed to the lanes for the finals.

The Final round opponent would be number one qualifier and World Champion Jim Whiteley. The California sun began to set on the historic Pomona raceway. The air cooled and the tension began to rise higher and higher. Al Ahten strapped his son Johnny into the Sump Puller. The desires of a Father, and the dreams of a son were about to be played out. As Johnny raced down the track, they all came true and victory at the Pomona Drags was a reality for the Ahten family of drag racers.

Island Renovations understands the complexity of Hawaii's homes and their customers’ needs. Whether you are looking to build, remodel, or replace your existing windows and doors, Island Renovations is there to provide outstanding service and products to give your home added value with the satisfaction and peace of mind from a company that puts their customers first. Visit us: www.islandrenovations.net

The Combust Filters Oil By-Pass Filtration System provides 3 Micron filtration, 100% Water Removal, Soot Removal, Extended Engine Life, Pollution Prevention, and Reduced Oil Consumption. By keeping the oil free of moisture contamination and particulates larger than 3 microns, your engine oil will have reduced Oxidation, Nitration, while maintaining required oil viscosity and TBN for proper lubrication. Our system incorporates only the best technology and quality construction for ease of use and installation. Features include an easy to read pressure gauge, 2 sizes of spin-on filters (7” and 12”), a push button oil sample valve, and a custom flow fitting to ensure a continuous proper flow. No internal moving parts to wear out! Visit us at: www.combustfilters.com

Fireman's Brew grew out of two Los Angeles based firefighter's vision to create premium handcrafted beers that would quench their thirsts after an exhausting day on the firelines. Originally created by firefighters for firefighters, Fireman's Brew is now available at bars, restaurants and retail stores throughout Southern California, Arizona, Illinois, Colorado & Nebraska. Visit them at www.firemansbrew.com