POLL: 2 or 3 qualifying runs at regionals?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Aug 12, 2013.

?

Would you prefer 2 or 3 qualifying runs at regional events?

1. 2

26.5%
  2. 3

73.5%
  1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

I would prefer if active teams only vote on this. Anyone is welcome to comment, especially if you aren't racing and feel a change would bring you back.

2. dave hirata

dave hirata Member

3 runs in one day.

3. tom pickett

tom pickett Super Comp/tad

Three in one day !
    Tom Pickett.

4. chassisbuilder

chassisbuilder

3 runs Friday nite & elems Saturday nite.

5. WMORRIS

WMORRIS Member

2 runs

2 runs Saturday race Sunday work on Friday $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for more parts

6. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

I have not had the car out yet this year so my voice may not count:
    I still think 1 run on Friday if you choose or not, and 2 on sat are best,
    race on Sunday, this way if you want to work on Friday you can leave after work and still have 2 shots on Saturday to make the show on Sunday
    and/or first round Sat early evening, no later than 6 pm, this might be way more than they can do in one day thou.

7. Chuck Anderika

I would like to see us use our runs to make money for the track owner. As the track owner now has the option of having us or not, it is important to give him a way to make money. In D1 we get 2 to qualify on Friday (many times to an empty house) then run Sat afternoon. In my opinion tight qualifying on Sat night where fans can get to see all the cars, possibly followed by 12/2/4 eliminations on Sunday with some type of discount for those who came Sat. would be a much more sellable package. It is up to the track owners to demand to get a sellable fan friendly show to build on. 2 or 3 qualifiers won't mean anything if the tracks don't have us

8. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

Can I vote twice since I'm dumb enough to have 2 of these things?...

3 in one day!

I'm the king of sitting out sessions, but only when we are already safely in the show.

With the high price of travel, the cost of 1 more run on an NHRA prepped surface is well worth it. Missing the show because something freak (Car doesn't start, etc...) happens that costs you one of only 2 attempts would make for a long drive home.

Not that anything like this has ever happened before to any of us...

Cody "Flash" Perkins
    TAD/TAFC 568

9. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

runs

Lets do three.

10. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

I don't care how many, but I really like 2 day, Fri/Sat races

11. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

qualifying

I don't have super strong feelings either way on this issue. I like being at the race track and playing with my toys. However, it's hard to get away from work so many days a year. So I like the 2 day formats. Also, since we all talk about what a money losing proposition these cars are, it makes more financial sense to make less runs for the same money.
    I think if everyone has the same number of qualifying attempts, its going to be pretty fair. Of course I raced for years in the UDRA, where you only got 1 qualifying shot and had to make sure you didn't make any major mistakes. Those were good ole days.
    Chuck had some real good comments about how we better make the track owners want us or none of this matters.

Will, Thanks for the best website on the internet. Go ALKY's.
    Marty

12. anthony

anthony Member

I would prefer three in one day ... however since this post has been up for a day or so and the dumb arse thought it was wise to post again... just curious Isnt this a poll not a open forum to throw unprovoked dirt???

have a nice day as I will be boarding up my windows now! :eek:
    anthony

13. drn1013rd

drn1013rd Member

2-3 runs

I would have voted for 2 runs if I had all the knowledge of you guys and had a handle on my car but since I don't and have had a streak of just bad luck on parts breakage
    I will stick with the 3 runs until I do get handle on it or go broke trying.
    Don Nolan
    tad #392

14. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

Racing in D1 and only getting 2 runs and then racing in D3 and getting 3 i like the way D3 runs the program allows a show to be put on Saturday for the crowd people get the chance to see 20 plus cars run all out. Then if guys decided to stay home and work Friday to make money that is there choice they still get two. It allows guys trying to get runs and learn a few things more runs.
    Jonathan Pickett
    New driver looking for runs

15. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

big picture

it doesn't help if racers in one region get 2 shots and racers in other regions are getting 3 shots. you figure things out by making runs down the track.

i totally get the saving money deal with less runs. you have very little room for error with two runs, especially if you have a big field at a regional.

16. diamond mill

diamond mill New Member

2 or 3 runs

Will, not sure if this poll should be for 2 or 3 qualifiers, or 2 or 3 days. In case you poll, 3 days is my preference. I voted for 3 qualifiers, just because I love to see the cars run. (No dog in the hunt here, but pretty close to the game) I'm concerned that many teams would be pressed to make 3 runs in 1day with a 2 day format. At least in the NC region, event car counts are high. Gotta give all classes their runs. The last alcohol qualifying session would likely be LATE evening on a 2 day deal. So, you would have to deal with the risk of less than desirable track conditions (dew in the spring and fall) and a short night to service the car for Sunday morning. 2 cents worth.

Ditto Marty on a geat site,
    DM

17. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

D1 also on most regional races has the highest car counts in alky dragster. I could understand regions that only have 4 cars show up having 2 sessions. But as far as saving money making less runs its your option not to eun all 3 and if you have to pay to test and scrub tires on thursday are you really saving money.

18. clint thompson

3 for sure

I'm all for three, heck I would be for four. I totally understand that it costs a lot of money each time you run the car, however the more you run the better you get. Also more runs per weekend actually reduces your cost per run because you are dividing your travel, meal, etc fixed expenses over more runs. You really cannot learn how to tune your car while it is in the pits or in the shop. Once you have already spent the money to travel to the race, get your crew there, and everything else it only makes sense to get the most runs for your money. Those who are for two because they think they are saving money are tripping over dollars to pick up nickles in my opinion. Would you be for just one? That would cut your expenses even more? If you only run twice, and happen to not qualify you have lost the chance to get experience and info for the future, when you go to the next race, you have to start over in new conditions again and you have less knowledge than you would. multiply those missed chances to learn over a season and it adds up. Frank Manzo didn't get as good as he is by not putting laps on his car, he tested and tested and tested and then is good enough to make rounds which just furthers his knowledge and experience. If we dnq at a divisional or go out first round we usually go ask if we can make test laps after the rounds just to get more data about the setup that would work in those conditions. For those who want to make less runs to save money, there is no rule that says you can't sit out any qualifying session you want to but I don't think those people's thinking should penalize the rest of the people who want to run.

19. Chuck Anderika

I'll give the flip side of the argument, and it has nothing to with saving money. there are only 4 regions now and unless there are no more than 32 cars in the country you are going to get more than 8 cars at a regional. The more shots you give the faster cars the less chance the slower cars have to qualify. We went to the first regional and Qualified #1, went to the second, qualify # 1, went to the grove 2 shots and was #9 in a 9 car field. got in as an alternate, right down broadway on run 3. no points no check for the run. Give Manzo 3 shots and he'll make his car run in a sand trap. 2 Shots puts the pressure on when you role through the gate. Better yet get rid of 5 of 7 and go to 5of 5 or 6of 6. you tech in you keep the points. no do overs.

20. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

1 shot

thank you Chuck