Pneumatic staging throttle control??

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by funnycarguy 230, Aug 21, 2005.

1. funnycarguy 230

Has anyone ever ran the pneumatic staging control for the throttle to hold the engine at a certain rpm till the clutch or t brake is released. How well does it work? Who makes them? Thanks

2. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Rapid Randy AA/FA Comp Eliminator

We run one. I like it, send me an email. I will give you some info on it.

owencrist@mchsi.com

Rapid

3. willys33

willys33 new

I and three other people in the local area are using the Dedenbear launch control. Dedenbear makes two different versions, a 2” travel, for carburetors, and a 21/2” travel, for injectors. We have been using these units for the last couple of years and have had no problems. The only problem I have seen is getting the people to understand how they work. Depending on your throttle installation will depend on how ingenious you will be in installing the actuator. After getting a base line on adjusting the actuator you can adjust launch RPM 100 thru 1000 revs in just minutes. You get constant RPM launches and (my 2-cents) with a Tran’s brake you will pick up reaction times. You go in put on the second stage bulb, push the Trans brake button, full down on the gas pedal, RPM is set. When your bulb comes on, just release the Trans brake and hang on, the gas pedal is already down to the floor. The nice thing about these launch controls over the electronics is you do not mix up shutting off fire to the cylinders and you can adjust the opening rate of the throttle (how hard you hit the tires). Unless your car is full electronics, get one, there great.

4. BLOWN INCOME

WE HAVE RUN THEM SINCE THE MIDDLE 90'S.IN IHRA S/E PRO OUTLAW WORKS GREAT!!!BUT,YOU CAN'T RUN IT IN F/C OR DRAGSTER CLASSES IN NHRA.TO RUN IN A CIRCUIT MAYBE IF YOU GET PAST TECH.NHRA RULE BOOK STATES YOU CAN'T HAVE ANYTHING HOOKED TO YOUR LINKAGE, PERIOD.IHRA DID THIS FOR STAGING REASONS,NITROUS COULD STAGE ON A CHIP, AT THAT TIME BLOWER CARS DID'NT HAVE A SYSTEM AVAILABLE.SO ON A PRO TREE YOU WERE A SITTING DUCK.THAT IS ALL CHANGED NOW,WITH THE CHANGING TIMES...

5. whipCracker

whipCracker Jr. Dragster

I copied and pasted this from the MSD Pro Mag site. I run a dedenbear air stop as well and was looking at this!! I was always told not to bump a blower motor against a limiter, maybe they were wrong? http://www.msdpromag.com/ read it for yourselves.

Two Step Rev Limiting a Blown Alcohol Engine

For years Two Step Rev Limiting has been done on non-blown applications like Pro Stock on down to Stockers. Now blown applications are starting to use this technique for more consistent starting line launches. The following will help with the necessary parts and a wiring diagram.

Parts needed:
    1 – 8147, 44 amp points box with built in rev limiter.
    1 – 8737 Two Step Module Selector.
    1 – Control switch pneumatic or electric.Optional,
    1 indicator light.

The Two Step will plug into the RPM limiter socket of the 8147 Points Box.The Red wire will connect to the clutch switch.The Black wire connects to Ground.
    Module 1 = Low RPM Limit.
    Module 2 = High RPM Limit.
    The most important part of the installation is the mounting of the switch. It should be located on the clutch pedal for the most consistent performance. The clutch switch will provide power to the Two Step on the Starting line. When the clutch is engaged it will switch from “Module 2” to “Module 1”, “Starting Line Limit”. When the clutch is not engaged the Two Step will be in Module 2, “High RPM Limit”

An optional indicator “light” will aid in adjusting the clutch switch switching “off” to the actual clutch engagement. The light will connect to Red wire of the Two Step, turning on when the clutch pedal is depressed. The clutch switch should be able to be adjusted according to clutch air gap. As the clutch is released slowly the indicator light should switch “Off” releasing the low limiter as the clutch is being engaged. This should provide a smooth transition from staging to launching, preventing a bog or excess wheel speed.

6. Danny Humphreys

We run a combo of air throttle stop and 2 step w/ no probs. Alot of promods are now using 2 step and staging @ WOT on the chip. Some use a solenoid to route fuel back to tank while 2 step is engaged.

7. Slayer

Slayer Member

We use an A.C.D. launch control on our blower motor. You can adjust the rpm you want at stage at and from there you can adjust how fast the blades open. Works great for cars with a converter.