Payne runs 5.53/260 in Vegas!

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

According to DRC, Payne ripped off a 5.53/260 in testing at the Strip. Very impressive.

2. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

not compared to the string of 40's by manzo in october, heck, payne has had all winter to think about it and thats the best he can do .;)

3. Mike Pavia

Mike Pavia Member

That is the best anyone has ever run at Las Vegas by far. I believe Jay is the track record holder there too. even before that run.

4. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Figures!

I think he must have copied our tune up from Bristol when we pitted with him!
    He is a great guy and was very helpful and considerate of the FNG's. I guess I'll have to share my data with Frank now!! :D Brownman and the FNG's

5. Brad L

Brad L Member

Jay owned the track speed record at 258.62 and ran 5.601 at the national last year. Manzo had the e.t. record with a 5.594 during testing last season, so Jay dropped the record by six hun. That's stout!

6. bud7291

bud7291 New Member

impressive

So Payne can get his car to go fast... great job, but can he keep it going that fast? Consistency wins races...

CJ Curtsinger

7. Dale Finch

Dale Finch Member

Wow guys, for Jay to do this at LV's corrected altitude. Just imagine what a main jet change and corrected altitude that Manzo had. There had to be at least 1200 ft difference. Congrats to Jay and Shelley. Could be the run of the year.

8. David Smith

David Smith Member

Nice run by Jay and Team. Hopefully the weather in Vegas will stay the same for this weekends Test Session

9. michael hall

michael hall New Member

Way to go Jay! nice pass for those conditions. remember, one pass doesn't win a race, but a string of 5.40's does! still and awsome run for a really nice guy.

10. mike w.

mike w. TAFC

weather

According to the Las Vegas weather reports for the day, the corrected air had to be over 2000 feet. Congratulations to Jay and Shelly on a really spectacular run.

11. Jonathan Johnson

Jonathan Johnson New Member

CJ

People simply complimented Jay on what he did. Now lets use this as example. "Jay Payne goes from a career best 5.60 at Vegas, to running an amazing 5.530!" However you word it, it is still impressive. Jay works very hard to run fast everywhere, and while consistency may win races, I promise that if the top half of the field were to be running 5.60s and you're on the bump at a .85, you're consistent .80's arent gonna outrun Jay doing a little shuffle trying to run a .59 and drive through it to a .78. Point is, that was an impressive run and those who work hard at this do succeed. Either work hard and run with 'the men' or settle for just qualifying. I don't know too many people who just settle unless they just set the record, or have a weekend like Manzo did in Richmond last year.

JJ

12. bud7291

bud7291 New Member

hehe... I know

I wasn't questioning his ability, or trying to make it seem less of an achievement... I agree with what you said... I was just throwing drag racing wisdom ;) in with my praise...

CJ Curtsinger

13. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

I have to laugh, the immediate comparisons to Manzo's string of 5.40s come up. Those were mineshaft conditions. Im sure some of you racers that were there could give me some corrected numbers but just guessing Id be willing to bet they were far under sea level, what maybe 500-750 below sea level.

Jay runs a 5.53 at 2000 feet above sea level, that is pretty impressive. At the spring national event in Vegas we were the 16th qualifier with a 5.8 something and Jay was the number one qualifier with his 5.60. The only reason we got by that round is Jay's quill shaft broke on the burnout otherwise we wouldve been cannon fodder.

So while Jay isnt running 5.40s up there in Vegas, you cant take away that 5.53 from him.

14. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

hate to tell you but i was there and it wasn't below sea level !

15. Scotty Mac

Scotty Mac TAFC

They were anywhere between +200 to +600 ft., but still pretty stout conditions. Congrats to Jay on a nice pass.

16. David Smith

David Smith Member

17. sportsman fan

sportsman fan New Member

Jay Payne

Look out for the House of Payne this year. If he did a 5.53 at las vegas we will see him kick some a-- at sea level for sure. Congrats to Jay and Shelly and father inlaw Brad Anderson for making a stout run and some big horse power.

18. Barry Ferriolo

Jonathan- we're not confusing "works very hard" with spends alot of money, are we? I would hate to think that when my wife comes home tired from all day at the mall- that she also "works very hard".

19. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Thanks Bruce and Scotty for setting me straight. I knew they were good and obviously better than Vegas or Fontana.

20. Brad L

Brad L Member

As good as Jay is, he didn't run a .53 in Fontana. That photo was taken the weekend before when Jay reset the track record (5.81, 247) with a 5.64, 254.

This is the link to the pic from Vegas:

http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCPhoto.asp?ID=128558&Filter=30#indextop