outlaw 10.5 dragsters and fc's?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

in addition to working in the alcohol ranks, i've had the opportunity to work with some local tracks in my area, promoting some outlaw 10.5 races. basically what it is a run what you brung door car class, has to have a stock front clip, no tires bigger than a 10.5 w tire, and unlimited from there. its a little more economical than pro mod, and is pretty exciting because the drivers have to really drive, so that makes up for the lack in et/speed.

this may just be a wild idea, but what about an outlaw 10.5 dragster class for budget teams to run on local 1/8mile tracks. with the wide rules, many old existing combos would be legal, with the small tire being the limiting factor. to spice it up, maybe fc's could be included to make an 'outlaw 10.5 pro comp'

sound off and tell me how crazy i am! LOL

2. Bob Alberty Jr.

,well the nostalgia top fuel cars run a 12" m&h spec tire,and run fives with little blowers,pumps etc. so why wouldnt it work,Keep me posted on this,I will be reading,

3. Will Hanna

Staff Member

run what you brung, 12" tire limit. wonder what that stirs up

4. flash

flash top alcohol

it stinks! anytime you limit tire size as a governor on et,you will always have people with money to buy more horsepower than they have the ability to control. these classes in texas crash cars weekly ,and it's only a matter of time before somebody gets killed in one of these cars!! texas promods have lost 5 or 6 cars already this year! big horsepower,eight mile tracks late at night,cool temps,slick tracks are a formula for these accidents.safety requirements is not that good on some of these race cars.just my 2 cents worth.

5. Danny Humphreys

Flash, you are seriously misinformed. We run outlaw 10.5 on a weekly basis and while there are wrecks, I would say no more than in any other class. I'm sitting here trying to think when the last time I saw an outlaw 10.5 car wreck, and I think it was last season.

6. Greg Hunter

Greg Hunter New Member

Can we run a Ford?

7. Danny Humphreys

AS a matter of fact, I went back and checked and we had several cars crash last year when we ran on the big tires (16x33) but none this year on the 10.5's. At least w/ King of the Hill.

8. Will Hanna

Staff Member

i would just like to create some sort of outlaw pro comp class. make the rules loose enough to let many types of vehicles in, but tight enough it doesn't get out of hand.

here's what i proposed a while back:

dragsters
    PSI Blowers - 63 OD Max
    Whipple Blowers - 28 OD Max
    Roots 1471/1671 - 45 OD Max
    Injected nitro - 1 44 amp mag or dual 20's or mallory's
    Nitrous - Unlimited

altereds/fc's
    PSI Blowers - ~80 OD Max
    Whipples ~ 36 OD Max
    Roots 1471/1671 - 48 OD Max
    nitro/blown - 30% Nitro max

Pro Mods - unlimited

Payout:
    $2,500 win
    $1500 R/U
    500 Semi
    250 R1

i just hope some track would let it get started...

9. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

That isn't true at all.

10. curt

curt New Member

I know of four Frankie, Bevo, The Bone Collecter
    and Chuck N

11. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Bebo Chandler, and Chuck Nuytten had wrecks last season, not this season.

Nathan Martin and Frankie Taylor had wrecks this year. Taylor's car will be repaired. I'm not sure about Nathan's car.

Will, I think you have a pretty good idea here if you can figure out how to keep the quickest dragsters and funny cars from running much quicker than mid to high 3.90's. Otherwise I don't think you will see many doorslammers.

12. flash

flash top alcohol

ok, 4 promds have crashed the last 12 months,nathan martin has just ordered a new chassis,frankies will be front halved and a new body,chuck nyutten car has a complete new body on it,chandler I don't know about. this does not count the cars that have hit the walls or guard rails that have been repaired that you wouldn't count as crashes.I like fast cars, but slick tracks late at night,poor judgement on the drivers part,and the desire to win that we all have is a recipe for crashes.

13. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

sounds like match racing ....
    :D :D :D :D :D

14. KENNETH JORDAN

I know this is a FEW years old, but is/was there any activity on this? Any races develop? Thanks.

15. JGRacing

JGRacing Member

I would like to see a pro comp style class started , The 10.5 tire rule is not good and dangerous , just have rules in other ways and keep it safe , I would vote on no Electronics , no power grid , no traction control , that would be a good starting point , lots of guys have this and cant Tune like they think they can with out all of that B.S. on there cars. If I am not mistaken , the Nostalgia Funny cars have the same rules , in no electronics or no Data loggers , thats my idea .

16. Will Hanna

Staff Member

If you get rid of electronics, you just eliminated about 95% of the cars currently out there.

Like them or not, they are here to stay. You still have to tune the car.

17. Wilsonmotorsports

Wilsonmotorsports New Member

A race track in Indy tried this some years back. The class was called Ultimate Dragster 10.5. I never heard of any safety complaints or concerns from any of the participants. Some of the guys who could go 3.70's on a big tire went high 3.90's on them if my memory serves me correctly. I believe they enjoyed the class and the challenges the 10.5 W tire brought to it.

18. JGRacing

JGRacing Member

Yes your are correct , I was just making a suggestion on rules , that would make things more fair , I tune my own Car with no Electronics and been 3.70,s , but everyone has there opinion , and different ideas , I just understand why some people like this 10.5 tire ?