Oil Pressure ?? How much is too much

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Promod23, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Promod23

Promod23 New Member

Going over things and prime the motor getting close to 140psi with a slow hand drill but running Kendal 70wt motor is Aries/chevy wedge motor no spin on filters or anything but i think 150 cold is pretty excessive

2. funnycarguy 230

With all the engines I have delt with that kind of oil pressure is a little much it will cut the bearings out of the bottom end we dont run but about 40 psi hot 65-70 cold with 60w and stp hope this helps it sounds to me like the oil pressure bypass is stuck or the spring is bound up some how

3. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

if my oil pressure was 45 hot or 65 cold i would hit the kill switch
    we run a billet kb pump
    about 140-160 cold
    100-120 hot
    depends on which wt oil we have in it
    50-60-70

4. topalky511

topalky511 Member

i run a 511 ci kb with an old cast kb oil pump with a half, half, mix of kendall 50 and 70 it has 130 cold and 110 hot, just my .02 hope it helps

5. was R4K

was R4K Member

we run a pleuger dry sump- recomends 125 lbs.

6. aj481x

aj481x Member

also run a Pleuger, pressure never goes below 125#, have used same setup for years,no bearing problems.

7. funnycarguy 230

I run a BBC wet sump what I have is what I have and it works and haven't had any bearing problems!

8. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Hemi's need more operating pressure than BBC.

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

So let a Ford guy ask a dumb question here.....Why does a hemi need more than a BBC. The crank and bearings are no different. Is the oild supply passages different?

10. funnycarguy 230

I wish I had a HEMI with a dry sump!!! LOL Maybe someday But I like the question why does the hemi require more oil pressure?

11. Maynard

Maynard none

I doubt the dynamics of a fluid (oil) have any idea whose name is on the valve cover. Personally, I believe that more pressure equals more heat in oil and bearings, more aireation, less oil available in the pan, and less horsepower available to the wheels. If funny car 230 guy is running through the traps at 7000 rpm and 70lbs of oil pressure, he's doing fine with his BB Chev. If however he is turning 9000 rpm I'd start lookin for ways to increase it a little.

12. funnycarguy 230

Years ago I read about GRUMPY JENKINS and a SBC he wrote he could turn 7000 RPM with only 10 psi of oil pressure and it would live. And yes I only turn about 7300 in the lights but many people have different opinions about oil pressure but I personally look at it like this I dont want any more pressure than it takes to keep the engine alive to me it robs HP Thick oil in a blown engine is there to cushion the bearing on the power stroke thats why the carb guys can get away with such thin oil I have seen this on a DYNO that to much oil pressure is almost as bad as not enough just my 2-cents worth

13. DQUES

DQUES Member

I run a big chief arias engine with a titan billet pump at 90 psi . The only time i have a problem with bearings is when it is lean or to much timing in the mag . With the arias block you must drill the oil hole in the main bearings to 5/16 so it oils properly . Also have been using the newer kendall oil 60wt if i remember correctly which for some reason others have shyed away from since they changed the formula from the green stuff . It works for me , just adding my 2 cents .

14. Danny Humphreys

My BBC alays shows higher pressure when I prime it with a drill than with the motor running. That is a lot of oil pressure, but it depends on your bearign clearance too. Thee looser the tolerances the more oil pressure you need, also the more power you make the more you ay need as well. I'm with DQUES, my bbc likes 90 lbs and no bearing probs. 2200 hp and 50 lbs of boost though. Less power and lower cylinder pressure could get a way with less oil pressure. i ran 60 lbs al last year w/ no probs but had 2 full points lower in compression as well.

15. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

According to Kendall they have not changed the formula to their oil. All they did was remove the green coloring. You have to ask why they did that. Why not just leave it alone.

16. DQUES

DQUES Member

The newer kendall is brown in color and leaves a brown film in the bottom of our pan . I was wrong in my previous post on the wt. of the oil , we use 50wt . Still seems to work in my engine and see no reason to switch brands .