Oil Info

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by WIZBANG, Jan 18, 2007.

1. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

HAS ANYBODY TRIED THE BRAND OF OIL CALLED:

PURE POWER ???????

SEE THEM ON THE WEB AT: www.GoPurePower.com

2. bottomdollar

bottomdollar New Member

hi price oil

@20.00 per gallon ,can not see usig that. Will stay with Kendell@1/3 the price.

3. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

When You Say Kendal, Is It The Stuff You Buy At The Store Or The Brad Penn ?

4. bottomdollar

bottomdollar New Member

Kendell Nitro 70. never had oil problem.

5. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

Is it green in color ?

6. TAF 316

TAF 316 Member

NO cause Kendall Brand Oil is now gold not green, still works just fine

7. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

I'm Having My Doubts ? We Haven't Changed Anything ( Machine Shop Personel, Parts Mfg Or Anything, Just Freshened With New Parts ) And We Lost A Bearing/crank. When I Talked To The Brad Penn Guy, He Told Me The Kendal That You Buy At The Store Is Not Green Because It Really Isn't The Old Kendal. Brad Penn Is Actually The Old Kendal ???? I Know Of A Local Funny Car/tad Team That Did Some Reasearch After Losing Numerous Cranks And They Claim It Was The Kendal Oil They Were Buying At The Store. They Changed To Valvoline And Fixed The Parts Breaking ?

8. bottomdollar

bottomdollar New Member

Well i bet you can talk to 40 racers and get 20 differant answers. Royal purple, valvoline,brad penn , penzoil,castro oil, and some one will blame breakage the brand of oil I do not think any oil company would be in business today if it was a PROVEN FACT that there oil ,caused a crank, bearing or oil related failer.
    Maybe it was a piece of trash from some where, or too much timming,or not changing bearings often ,or just (shit just happens )that caused failer.
    I feel a good maintance ,good oil (any suited for the application) and commond sence you will have a happy engine.
    Just my thinking?

9. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH WHAT YOU FEEL. i AM JUST HAVING DOUBTS ABOUT THE OIL BEING WHAT IT WAS ? THERE HAS BEEN A FEW NOTES ON THE4 NET ABOUT ALL THE OIL OVER THE COUNTER, NOT HAVING THE CHEMICALS IN IT ANYMORE. I DIDN'T MEAN IT TO SOUND LIKE I WAS BLAMING THE OIL, I'M JUST CURIOUS WHAT THE RACERS THOUGHT. PLEASE TAKE NO OFFENSE TO KENDAL OR ANYBODY USING IT. WE ALL KNOW SH-T HAPPENS !

10. bottomdollar

bottomdollar New Member

Hey No offenseat all. Just offering opinion? We know fellow racers running Lucas,penzoil,redline, and castrol gtx. I fell that a (nitro) type oil is better than what thay run , but i do not see my freinds having oil problems.Gosh run what you feel good about and it will be ok. All major brand oil is good.

11. blown375

blown375 New Member

Personally I use the brad penn "green oil" and I love it "now".
    I was having bearing problems when I first put my motor together and I was sceptical of the Brad Penn .
    After a relativly short phone conversation with Jeff Fowler and he described exactly what I was looking at as if he were standing over my shoulder. Jeff then told me what I had wrong with my drive line set up and it had absolutely nothing to do with engine its self , not the brand of oil or clearances or oil pressure or the tune up that I had in the engine.
    I changed my set up without changing anything in the engine other than a new crank and bearings "still at the same clearances" like he suggested and my bearing problems went away.
    I do like the Brad Penn oil and it is also produced in a (NITRO) grade but don't be so quick to blame the oil for bearing problems.

12. funnycarguy 230

The Oil You Buy Across The Counter At The Parts Stores Is Not A True Racing Oil. Look Back On Here About Oil And What The Epa Has Done To The Oil, You Will See That Alot Of The Ingredients Have Been Taken Out Of The Oil. It Must Say On The Jug Off Road Racing Oil. Just Do Some Research You Will See What I'm Talking About

13. IGO1320

IGO1320 T/D 2268

oils

The last post is correct, I was eating lifter bores Mr. Crower set me straight on oils, changed brand and the problems dissappered! For the record I am running Brad Penn also, but have had good luck with the special order "racing" vavoline also.

14. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I think what we are talking about is the push to stop pollution so the zinc and phosphate was dropped by some oil companies and was given the SJ API approved designator . If there is not SJ on the oil then it still has the zinc and phosphate which help reduce wear in metal to metal contact. The bearings in a car do not make a metal to metal contact unless real low or zero oil pressure so I wonder if this really makes a difference. The lifters and the cam do. The "Racing" designator on the oil means it is formulated to work with nitro and alcohol and means a little more zinc and phosphate has been added especially in Valvoline and Brad Penn.

Not to start to heavy of a discussion and for information only......
    Kendal oil used to be made by Kendal Tosco and was bought out by Union 76 then by Phillips and now because of mergers I believe is owned by Conoco or Sunoco.
    The oil was originally Pennsylvania Crude which had a natural green color to it. Now Kendal is not Pennsylvania Crude and it supplied by numerous different subcontractors and there is little to no requirement as to what base oil is now used. When the new (not made by Brad Penn) Kendal switched from Pennsylvania Crude to other sources they added green dye to make it look the same. The problem was the green dye contaminated the oil tanks and trucks so it was reformulated and the dye dropped. Brad Penn stopped making the original oil labeled "Kendal Oil" 8 years ago and now makes there own original Nitro 70 green oil with the Pennsylvania crude base.

15. bobbyblue359

bobbyblue359 New Member

We had the same problems with the Kendall Nitro 70 when it stopped being green. Bearings all over the place. Went and talked to Jay Payne and switched to Valvoline and problems ceased immediate. The Brad Penn is the old Kendall for sure! It works just like the old stuff. Nothing wrong with the new Kendall, it's just that when an engine is built to run basketball size molecules and you put in tennis balls, something bad is bound to happen. I would like to know what other guys have found out about the new Kendall and Valvoline Nitro 70. Several we know had A LOT OF PROBLEMS with the new Kendall. Larger sampling can help us all determine if it's real or imagined.

16. funnycarguy 230

Brad Penn Oil Is The Same As The Old Kendall It Comes From The Same Refinery It Was Bought And Changed Names. And It's Still Green

17. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Torco 70w has been wonderful to us!

18. mark6052

mark6052 Member

Is'nt there another oil company out there? can;t remember....hmm, sponsors money to the sportsmanracing? alot of money to all motorsports? nobody using it? begins with LU...:rolleyes: hope they dont feel left out. PS. I USE IT! and the additive.:D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  19. WIZBANG

WIZBANG Member

Lucas ?

Where Can I Buy Any Oil Local Here In Washington ?

Torco
    Lucas
    Brad Penn
    Valvoline

20. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

I really like the lucas additive for our work trucks, and I swear by their hub oil for all our trailers, but we've always run kendall nitro 70 in our car. I emailed their tech dept. regarding the epa stuff, and their oil is NOT epa legal, meaning it still has the same zinc and phosphate contents it used to. We've used it for many years and have never had a problem that was oil related.

bryan brown