oil downs and the future of alcohol classes

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

judging on what i've seen and heard, oil downs in the alcohol classes has become a very sore subject with nhra. i dont think thats any secret. so you can take two attitudes. one, screw them bastards if .... or two, what can i do to make sure i dont get oil on the track. inherently, with any race car of our nature, there will be oil downs from time to time. but if most of the racers out there take a step back and analyze 'what can i do to make my car less oil down prone' maybe we can make a better impression with nhra next year, and get that monkey off our back, cause we have enough already.

please dont write anything into this statement.

2. imjustafan

imjustafan New Member

Will

I attended the Dallas Event and I can assure you the people in the grandstands did not want to see another TAD go down the track after they had had several oil downs.

From my seat it was the Blown cars that were stinking up the place. I don't know if it was because the season was nearing the end and parts are getting tired, but it sucked.

If memory serves me right it was the final qualifying session that was the worst. I would not have blamed the NHRA for forceing the TAD to wait until monday to run with the rest of the sportsman racers. I realize that not all of the TAD's were oiling the track but the ones that did made all look bad.

You are correct in that the teams need to do something. Maybe they should have oil patrols and if you oil they come visit and help you pack up. I'm just kidding of couse but something needs to be done.

TAD/TAFC is a bitching class but not when they have so many oil downs.

3. Will Hanna

Staff Member

my post wasnt directed at any one combination, but to both classes as a whole.

4. The Zone

The Zone Member

I would love to see the TAD and TAFC class take the inititive and put belly pans on the cars. similar to the TF class. That would cetainly look like the class was trying and doing something above and beyond.
    Dean

[ October 21, 2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: The Zone ]

5. Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson New Member

I think Dean is on the right track.

No one likes the oil down situation, and if the BAD teams show that they are working to help solve the problem, that could only be a plus. As others have mentioned, if the correct equipment, diapers, etc. are used properly, they will most often work. Buy if they are not in good condition, fit properly, or are used correctly, they will not work as well as they can. I have a 3-month old and it is the same deal there. If you don't put it on right, you have a mess to clean up! The belly pan would be good insurance, and be a minimal impact.

Also, I don't know who makes it or sells it, but there is a valve out there that when the blower boost goes beyond a preset amount, in the event of a valvetrain problem, it closes off the Main Jet return line. This helps to keep the other cylinders alive when the system becomes overboosted. The result is less engine damage and less probability for oil escaping the block. Anyone know more about this?

6. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Super Comp

Belly pans for all sounds good ! NHRA has to watch other classes like at Etown this year the BLOWmods(slow TAFC)had more oil downs and cars going off the track in 1 round than alkys all weekend but nhra still punished Alkys to run after pros on Sunday! BLOWmods are a waste go back to IHRA!

7. GUY CHAFFEE

GUY CHAFFEE New Member

Scott
    I agree with your statement on how you put the bag or bucket on the car. We have been running the same bag for years. My brother Gage has always wanted the bucket or somthing easier to put on our car. At the Div5 points meet in IA this year we put 3 holes in block NHRA was picking large pieces of the block but there was not a drop of oil left on the track, so to that I would like to thank Dennis Taylor and the guys. Maybe we were just lucky but Newer to me is not always better.

8. The Zone

The Zone Member

I am pretty sure John Scialpi has something similar to that valve Scott. I don't remember if it is for the fuel system or set up to work on the rpms on the car. But I think it is like you said. He is a very smart guy. Someone else designed it though.

Dean

9. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

I was at Dallas, the only two oildowns I saw from the Alky cars that I can remember was by Doug Foley and Chris Ricketts! Don't recall any TAFC oildowns. I think the rules in place(First a warning, second a $250 fine are fair! Anybody who has that big a problem doesn't belong at a Natl. event IMHO!

10. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

We also run a Taylor diaper, and can't recall it ever allowing oil on the track. Not sure what the problem could be with the cars that do make a mess, but we windowed 2 blocks this year, one was a large hole that took out part of the sleeve, but from the outside you couldn't even tell the engine was blown up until we got back to the pits. We make sure (as I'm sure most do) that the bag is pulled up tight.

11. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Belly pans are not the answer because they are no more than a band-aid over a bullet wound. We need to get the bullet out. Scott Nelson's suggestion is in the right direction. Come up with ways to stop the source of the oil down, not just catching the remains.

[ October 22, 2003, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Smokey ]

12. Will Hanna

Staff Member

the system scott nelson is talking about is made by spike gorr. it has a boost pop off (adjustable) to where when the boost exceeds that pressure (usually in the case of intake push rod failure), it activates a solenoid that closes a fuel shutoff. the fuel shutoff is usually put inline with the main return line, thusly, putting the additional fuel back into the motor to compensate for the extra boost the other cylinders will see. i have heard it has worked great on several cars, especially edgecombs, who supposedly ran like a 5.60 after kicking an intake push rod off early in the run.

jeff jacobs also put a similar system on phil mass' dragster, except it used a six shooter. same concept, when the boost shot up, it fired a solenoid, except this time it fired to the six shooter and took 15 degrees of timing out. jeff explained when phil's head hit the dash, he let off, saving the motor explosion. (by the way, i got a six shooter system for sale!)

this would help, but would only help a percentage.
    yes, the bullet needs to be removed, but all nhra cares is that the blood doesnt get on the floor so to speak, so i think belly pans would be a step in the right direction.

13. Will Hanna

Staff Member

we also run a taylor diaper and have yet to put oil on the track. we also have yet to poke a rod all the way through too.....(thanks conway) (knocking on wood...)

14. T.Howell

T.Howell Member

I think the dry sump systems on the funny cars are the most vulnerable. An oil pan designed to hold 4 maybe 5 quarts of oil when there is probably 8-10 (maybe more?) quarts of oil in the engine at 1000'.
    Am I missing something? Why do people think the dry sump system is less likely to oil the track?
    Just curious.

15. Bumpy55

Bumpy55 Member

We use a Taylor bag also. kicked 4 rods out at Indy last year and not a drop of oil on the track. We kicked 1 and 2 out at Columbus Div race and the only reason we got oil on the track was that the rod took off the line on the oil pump as it was leaving the block. Dennis makes a great product and we wouldn't want to run with anything else. :cool:

16. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

I don't know about that idea. I'm sure that it would do a great job and what it is intended to do, but to me it sounds like something else that could malfunction on something that already has so much that could go wrong...correct me if I am in error by saying this though.

17. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

I take my hat off to Dennis Taylor and his ballistic diapers. Throughout this season we have tested Dennis's diaper a time or two. Even had a small oil fire going in the diaper after one of our runs in Houston ( along side of Vern Moats flying his tafc ) But never a drop of oil on the track. We have a belly pan on the Fuel Funny Car that we all work on and are considering putting one on the TAFC. May not stop everything but sure would help in the event of a large engine failure. I think its inevitable, NHRA will mandate something for the alky cars before too long, might as well get ahead of the game if we can.

18. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

Dennis makes a very nice carbon fiber tray that fits under the existing diaper, I think it cost about $300. If you haven't already bought one you need to buy it. It's not heavy, easy to remove and install, it keeps your diaper nice and snug to the oil pan.

19. GUY CHAFFEE

GUY CHAFFEE New Member

We are all sitting here talking about great ways to contain our oil when it leaves the motor but the real question is how do we keep it in the pan?
    And right now i think that will be impossible with the way we have to run these things i guess that is why they call it racing (to the check book) I have over heard some guys talking that they would like to see NHRA only alow 1 motor per race or maybe a motor inthe car and 1 spare. Instead of giving the advantage to the big buck teams. To me I still like running no mater if we are up against the bigbuck guy or the guy at the bottom (which lately has been us) So ill keep my taylor bag some extra oil, jb weld, and go have some fun with you guys and gals next year

20. Rapid Transit

Rapid Transit New Member

There are a ton of different ways to oil the track, not just from the pan. We can't put a bag around the whole thing. Out of all the oil downs this year how many came from something besides kicked rods (pan)? Anyone know?