Nostalgia Top Fuel

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by moldenhauerracing, Oct 24, 2011.

1. moldenhauerracing

moldenhauerracing New Member

Does anyone out there know of a rear engine top fuel nostalgia class operating in the midwest? Names,e mail,web sites would be much appreciated.

2. Big Sexy

Big Sexy Member

Nope, the West has some, but never have seen any out here.

3. notime

notime New Member

Was a show in March out west but after a pass at 5.47. I think was the time. The idea may have lost interest now. I think it got in a few peoples craw. Looked as a interesting idea in the beginning and in my opinion it may have created some stimulation for the younger generations and an affordable racing venture. If you find any info maybe you would be willing to share it.

4. moldenhauerracing

I was just thinking it would be a cool deal for some of us with 70s era cars.It could be structured like nostaigia funny cars,jet cars wheel standers,etc.I believe we could generate enough interest to even get paid for some old style match races.The cars could even wear the names and colors of the "2nd" generation top fuel cars 40 yrs ago.

5. notime

notime New Member

I think to it would be a nice deal. I'm not looking at it from makig andy money just help with expenses and it should be for anything older than 15 years. there is alot of stuff siting for cheap that may motivate some capital for the chassis builders, engine builders, tire sales etc. Nascar has all the tv coverage drag racing needs a real boost anything would help.

6. genevajames

genevajames New Member

In So. Cal. there is a tremendous amount of interest from a lot of racers with the class.
    The initial rules were/are a mirror of the N/FC engine/drivetrain etc. No minimum weight was ever established. However, the road block is Steve Gibbs. At the driver's meeting at the '10 CHRR he answered the question about the rear motored cars ever being a class with the comment...."over my dead body". That is where it stands today.

7. notime

notime New Member

I figure the clock is tickin. A promoter needs to take a look at the draws and I think in the end it will look like one of the best draws that could be had. Sure beats watching 12 hours of street bracket cars mulling you to sleep.

8. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Personally I don't think the rear engined "nostalgia" Top Fueler would be a big draw from the spectators. They relate more to "nostalgia" Top Fuel being front motored.

But for sure the cost of running a "nostalgia" Front engine dragster went up after last weekend. Tony Bartone layed down a 5.56 and ran 269.29 with Boggs tunning.
    http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCPhoto.asp?ID=242108&Filter=100#indextop

And John Hade ran 5.589 @ 255.97 in the very popular 'nostalgia" Funny Car with 33 N/FC entered.

Blessings........Ron Clevenger
    Creekside Racing Ministry
    Pacific ProComp

9. a/fd slngsht

a/fd slngsht Member

THANK YOU MR. GIBBS!!!!! they should do a front motor class and let the funny car drive train be ran in a front motor car.... extreme nostalgia top fuel... xn/tf... then all the big dogs of n/tf could switch to that, and open n/tf back up to the workin guy.........Mike

10. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

They are testing 2 speed N/TF with the MSD 44. Mike Fuller and Mendy I think.

11. notime

notime New Member

U guys are talking west coast though. I have talked to alot of track owners and seen the number of smaller tracks that have closed due to the economy and for them it would be a big draw. Take all the little numbers and they add up to big if you know what I mean. The little guy needs to be brought back into drag racing. Mr. Gibbs needs to remember his roots. He even admitted at the reunion that john Q public is getting phased out of drag racing. He sure talked in circles. With the number of old A Fuel parts around it sure would be good to empty out the garages.

12. moldenhauerracing

I grew up going to US30,the Grove,Byron it was just an idea to bring back these 2nd gen cars.Just think how cool it would be to see Candies and Hughes vs Muldowney in tribute cars.Remember BBC on nitro? Run the cars with what they had back then,just like the match race days when cars had peoples names,notmillion dollar corporations.Just a thought,DAVE

13. a/fd slngsht

a/fd slngsht Member

yes they are .. the 44 is only allowed in n/tf, not the fuel funnies... and theres a group of us front motor injected nitro guys here in chicago...

14. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

a/fd slingshot....are you part of the good ol boys from Ill.? dave

15. a/fd slngsht

a/fd slngsht Member

i never heard of them...lol was once a part of the nostalgia boys from illinois, that has since disbanned... that was back in my sbc days

16. moldenhauerracing

What is the name of your group

17. a/fd slngsht

a/fd slngsht Member

honestly,we don't have a name... just a group of friends with fuel cars that match race when avalable... otherwise theres always a few of us goin out to test once a month... or so.. mike 708-205-9052

18. genevajames

genevajames New Member

Ron, you may be right about not being a draw with the spectators. However, if the Heritage "people" would make rear motored cars a class, it would be almost as popular as the N/FC. Heck, I have talked with several team owners that would switch over from N/FC if there were a real class to compete in. The front motored N/TF are incredible, but, the class is stagnant. I can't remember the last new car or team that was put together. By the way, 39 N/FC where in the pits. Brand X did not even make one pass.

19. a/fd slngsht

a/fd slngsht Member

i can think of a few new n/tf teams that were put together in the past few years... "the crop duster", " mr boston", and Jason greenwood...off the top of my head.........

20. genevajames

genevajames New Member

Thanks for the update. That is good news for the class. Have they run any events?