Nitro in a diesel

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by John Robinson, Jan 5, 2011.

1. John Robinson

John Robinson Member

Ive been thinking about doing it but the big question is what will it do ? Im thinking a very small percentage at first of corse. What will it do when we compress it in the injection pump to 4000 psi? Static compression is 11.8 but the boost will exceed 100 psi . Ive never messed with the stuff & i dont know if it will even mix with diesel? Thanks in advance.

2. aj481x

aj481x Member

This may be a worse idea than the guy who was going to wash his hair with it. :p

Nitro won't mix with diesel fuel with out addition of an ester and compressing nitro to 4000 psi can't be a good idea.

3. altered boy

altered boy Outlaw Altered

ok... this is definitely NOT my field of knowledge by any stretch of the imagination (diesel engines anyway)

but my gut reaction is two things:

1-is it already april 1st?

2-PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE video this event and share it! it has potential to be cool whether the outcome is good OR bad

4. John Robinson

John Robinson Member

LOL...I understand..This may be one of those situations where I need to get one of my buddies to try it on his motor first.....I will be running the camera :rolleyes: Adding the ester to get it to mix with diesel, Where do i get that stuff & how would i figure out how much to use?

5. altered1

altered1 Member

REALLY.....................:cool:

6. PROMOD63

PROMOD63 Member

hey uall watch this !!!! this is some of the funniest stuff i have read in a while !!! keep us updated on this project !!!

7. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

Johnny Knoxville..??? is he making a new jack ass 3 on drag racing...lol...:D..Dave

8. Moparious Maximus

Diesel and nitro

Im kind of a diesel guy myself, and have wondered what would happen with a small nitro % in diesel fuel, but like you said I would be weary of trying it in a good motor, expecially with a bunch of other expencive shit inside.

Just my opinion, I dont think nitro will lite in the pump or the lines at 4000psi, but its definently a possibility, the more % of nitro the more worried I would get though.

Just curious, what motor are you thinking of toying with?

I have a couple of old stock 6bt cummins motors with VE rotory pumps that I wouldnt be terribly hurt if one (had an incident) HMM, I think I have a gallon or two nitro left.

9. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

reminds me of that joke. . . . . .what are the common last words from rednecks? . . . . .WATCH THIS! :eek:

nhra7110 likes this.
  10. aj481x

aj481x Member

Amyl acetate is something to use when you experiment with exotic fuels. It will make oil and water mix.

11. John Robinson

John Robinson Member

Its a 6b with a 13mm p pump...2 years ago I ran some racing diesel from Europe that worked really well, we could run more timing with it....4% oxygen content was posted on the recipe for it. Thats what im really looking to do. Im not a redneck...Just a guy that likes to tinker. I have ran a 8.09 with this little project, just looking for an edge.

12. Patrick Hale

Patrick Hale Member

Nitromethane properties

The "critical temperature" for nitromethane is 599 degF and the "auto-ignition temperature" is 785 degF.

The "critical pressure" for nitromethane is 915 psia.

John . . . you asked "What will it do when we compress it in the injection pump to 4000 psi?" I'm sure you will find your edge!

Patrick Hale
    www.DragRacingPro.com

13. TOL

TOL Active Member

Go take a look at the forums at www.speedtalk.com.

IIRC, one of the forum members (Clint or Nitro2) was exploring the use of a diesel unit injector for use with straight nitromethane injection.

Good reading over there, and a wealth of very intelligent/experienced minds.

14. nmro2114

nmro2114 Member

sounds like another 1000 ways to die episode

15. John Robinson

John Robinson Member

1000 ways to die,lol....the reaction to this question has brought on some amusing resposes even if nothing comes from it....I love it.Im not talking about pouring nitro straight into a diesel...im talking about a 5% blend for a starting point & see what she does from there. There has to be a way to test this. Surly the flash points & critical pressures wil be dramaticly different.

16. John Robinson

John Robinson Member

Maybe i should make my objective a little more clear here. im leaving at 3500 rpm & revving out to 55, power starts dropping off around 4700. with such a narrow window of useable power it is proving to be a bear when it comes to converter efficency. I can make her live all the way up to 6k but there is little power there. I am going to a crower/lenco next year to get some more hp to the wheels but it sure would be nice to find some more hp up top. Keep in mind here,i have no way to adjust timing other than the static .

17. nmro2114

nmro2114 Member

why not propane or nitrous?

18. John Robinson

John Robinson Member

Been there done that on propane & its a really bad idea. You can gain some hp with it but when you really start putting enough in there to make a big hp gain it starts detonating & back fireing. We cant control the timing enough to control it & talk about dangerous! I have seen turbos blow sky high on the stuff. Keep in mind that the propane is coming into the turbo inlet side & getting compressed as well as passing all through the charge air cooler. Not Good.
    I have ran alot of N20 for several years averaging 7 lbs of the stuff per pass. No doubt about it it works well "but" it sure is hot...Egt`s in excess of 2200. I m not against N20 on a diesel,just want to play with something else for a while.

19. Patrick Hale

Patrick Hale Member

John - Nitromethane is a mono-propellant (i.e. rocket fuel). It doesn't really need any air/oxygen to burn. It doesn't matter what percentage you are trying to run. If you compress or heat even a single drop of Nitro beyond the "critical limits" it's going to explode!

Your fuel pump will make a very nice "bomb" for even the smallest amount of Nitro you try to compress to 4000 psi. Use the hydraulic press on your work bench and try to compress an ounce of Nitro to 1000 psi and let us know how that turns out.

Patrick Hale
    www.DragRacingPro.com

20. Moparious Maximus

A thought or two.

Another thing, you may or may not have thought of yet.

Is that 4000psi the injector pop pressure? If so then your actual peak injection pressure is going to be higher, how much will depend on your nozzle size I guess.

If that 915psi critical pressure is right......that may be a problem :confused:

I have to ask I'm no nitro expert.....Why doesnt a nitro motor uncontrollably detonate right after TDC on the power stroke, the cylinder pressures must be higher than 915psi right? I guess they do sometimes but I was under the impression that its normally a controlled burn, NOT an explosion.