NHRA Announces.....

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Scott, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Scott

Scott New Member

The NHRA Competition Committee has unanimously decided that the issue of parity in Top Alcohol Dragster must be addressed for the 2004 season. After reviewing data that has been gathered over the last several years on the differences between blown Alcohol Dragster and A/Fuel Dragster, a trend is apparent: The A/Fuel entries are becoming the dominant vehicle in the class.

NHRA believes it is important to continue to preserve the two types of racing applications for fans and competitors alike, while maintaining fair competition between these distinctly different racecar combinations

NHRA will not make any changes that will allow blown Alcohol Dragsters to run quicker or faster than they currently do. Rather, NHRA's intent is to develop a plan to bring the performance of A/Fuel Dragster more in line with that of the blown Alcohol Dragsters.

NHRA is evaluating a number of actions that could accomplish its objective, including additional weight changes, rear end gear-ratio changes, and limiting the percentage of nitro for A/Fuel racers.

NHRA plans to make a final announcement on the changes in early October.

2. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

Finally...

3. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

I think that NHRA is thinking that A\Fuel is getting to close to Top Fuel times

4. Langenhammer

Langenhammer New Member

...And as usual, the A/fuel racers are the ones who will get to spend the money to satisfy the rules changes!!!

5. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

From another board;
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Virgil Hartman
    Some random information on this subject:

Several A/FDs have lowered their piston heights to be able to run more fuel volumne and have increased their performances.

I helped rebuild an A/FD's fuel pump in Sonoma and they went from a 5.65 to 5.45 with no other changes. I feel more pump would make them quicker still.

You will find that you can run more nitro (by weight) at 90% than straight out of the can because the 10% methanol will keep detonation down. You will need to lower the piston height to do this and then run a cam that creates cylinder pressure. Do not add timing as you will find that sometimes less is much better.

Changing gear ratios and adding weight will both be overcome quickly by open minded individuals in this class.

And Morgan Lucas will be in this class next year and possibly longer.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Virgil.
    What the TARA delegation proposed to NHRA was that they limit nitro percentage only, and that they use their data that they have already collected from random AF/D fuel checks over the last two years to pick the starting point. Then review and adjust(if necessary) the percentage every 3 months. It was also disgussed that at certain events, where the AF/D advantage has not yet shown, that the percentage restriction could be adjusted or removed completely.
    NHRA agreed completely that there was an unfair advantage, under most conditions, and that something should be done. Besides ruining competition in the class, there is the safety concern of 280 mph cars running on some divisional tracks. Also there was concern that the AFD / TAD performance had a widening gap with our TAFC brothers, and the gap between the TA/D class and the Top Fuel & Fuel Funny Cars.
    Whatever NHRA decides to do, it is supposed to be a small change.
    AF/D's & BA/D's can co-exist and have healthy, fair competition. I look forward to it's return.
    Marty

6. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

We could fix the parity between TA/FC and TAD very easily. I have 2.25 over pullies on my workbench with potted plants growing out of them. Many others do, too. I can clean them up and run them if they'd let us.

I think guys like Manzo, Payne and Newberry would have run some low '40's by now with them. 265-270?

7. Max Power

Max Power New Member

I have to agree with, Mr. Goodwin. Bring back the old OD rules in TAFC.