New Pro Comp - your thoughts

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

hey guys,

i've got an idea for a new class/series to get started in this neck of the woods. basically it takes all the outlaw quick 8 classes that run, throw them into one and call it quick 8. dragsters, fc's, altereds, and pro mods.

current tads/tafc's wouldn't be totally ruled out, but not in their current trim. the goal would be to have the top cars running in the 3.80s at very best. rules would have to be made to keep the performance level there. here's what i have:

Dragsters:
    Screwblowers - 63 od psi, 28 od whipple
    A/Fuel- Hemi heads- Max mag amperage 44 amps- either from 1 or 2 mags (ex: 1 44 mag or dual 20's)

FC/Altereds
    Screwblowers- 82 od psi, 32 od whipple
    Blown Nitro - 30% Nitro max

All other combinations would be unlimited.

Payout:
    Win: $2500
    R/U: $1500
    Semis: $750
    R1: $250

I know this payout wouldnt really be enough for most of you with competitive cars to run, but it could provide a venue for budget cars to come run and be competitive. I know alot of quick 8 racers read this board, so let me know your thoughts.

if it works, it should be one hell of a show!

2. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

On any marginal track, the longer wheelbase cars will be at a Huge advantage.

3. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

How do you police it

[ August 06, 2003, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Funnycarbob ]

4. TJTurner

TJTurner New Member

I think an idea like this could be huge for the low buck and match race types. Maybe put a 4.00 index (or even a 4.20) on it to keep things from getting crazy. I also think you will need to have first round loser money at $500-$600 to get a solid commitment from a decent amount of cars. I like the idea of running dragsters and FC's together - maybe take the fastest 4 of each to guarantee the FC's and altereds some 1st round spots. You may also want to consider a Chicago style show - book in 5 dragsters and 5 FC/Altereds.
    2 rounds - everyone runs with fastest dragster running the fastest FC/altered for the win.

Purse - keep the difference between the winner and the show money to a minimum so people don't go crazy.
    Win $1400
    RU $1300
    3-4th fastest $800
    5-8th fastest $650
    9-10th fastest $500 (assuming decent performance)

Total purse is $7900 or pretty close to a pro mod show. Tracks may be willing to do this and if they are successful, they will be willing to pay more.

We need something like this in the southeast. We have one circuit that runs blown PM's, altereds, and FC's on a 4.50 index but it does not attract alot of FC's.

On a related question, what does that Texas outlaw altered association pay the guys that show, etc? Their web site is great and it sounds like they do a good job at the smaller tracks. I remember when Larry Reep ran a vega on the old All American FC series back in the late 70's - now he has a very cool altered- I'd love to see those guys run.

5. Bob Alberty Jr.

Interesting,Tulsa has been running a class that they have been calling "PRO-COMP",and in trying to keep the class going,a few of us have been throwing a few ideas back and forth,what we have come up with is as follows:

THE CARS:A class reserved for rear engined dragsters,front engined dragsters,center steer altereds,and center steer funny cars
    THE ENGINES:Blown,Turbo's,Nitrous,Injected,carburated,
    Gasoline,Alcohol,Nitro,run what you want to run
    THE RULES:
    1.All cars must be self starting,from the centerline of the crankshaft,batteries need not be onboard
    2.open wheel,center steer only
    3.four tenths tree,no blue light
    4.diapers mandatory,serviceable non cert units acceptable

pretty simple

6. Will Hanna

Staff Member

bob,

there are some quick 8 shows down here that run those rules but dont pay much of nothing. the self start rule keeps alot of cars out in my opinion. so does the money.

tj,

good points, esp coming from a fan. however it has been my experience that alot of people dont like the chicago show. the payout for this show better than most quick 8 stuff down here for altereds and dragsters and about the same as most pro mod shows.

bob (lupini),

at the first few races, i guess i'll be in charge of tech. if we had a series, i would have to budget in a regular tech guy. someone smart enough to check fuel, look at blower od, etc. basically a jim collins type.

thx for the feedback. i was going to scribner this weekend, but all of callaway's guys ended up getting off work, so no reason for me just to go. i'm actually going to take a weekend off from racing...one of my buddies talked me into a trip down to new braunfels to go tube the guadalupe for a few days. ive been racing 26 weekends this year, so maybe i need a break.

7. TJTurner

TJTurner New Member

Will, you are probably correct as the Chicago style of eliminations has not been used much in the last 10 to 15 years. I grew up going to match races in the midwest and that's the way it was done the majority of the time and the fans seemed to like it back then. The Chicago style keeps the show to a manageable length of time for a one day show - first round at 7, second at 8:45, finals at 10:30, etc. People don't have to be at the track all day and night to see the show.

But, if you go with a regular elim bracket that will work very well, but I still think you should move some of the top money down to first round so more middle of the road/budget people will commit to the show. I hope this works and can expand into the southeast.

8. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

Here in Albuq. they ran a series like that, Dragsters and FC's, altered's together. The FC's didn't stand a chance! The quickest FC time I think I saw was a 6.52 from Lawren Jones. Meanwhile, the Dragsters were in the 6.30-40's all over the place! Mark Taliaferro still has the track record at 6.10@227!

9. Will Hanna

Staff Member

joe,

dont get me wrong, the rules will be a handful! if i get this going in a series next year, we'll have to stay on top of it. potentials of the combination will have to be weighed against the actual participants.

tj,

its been my experience and observation that having good money at the top helps motivate good performance. from a promoters standpoint, you have to look at it that way.

10. TJTurner

TJTurner New Member

good point.