New MSD 7730 Power Grid Digital ProMag Controller

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Mike Canter, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

New MSD 7730 Power Grid Controller. It appears that MSD has evolved the 8973 one step further into the 7730 Controller. The 7730 can be piggybacked with the 7720 Ignition System for the latest a greatest regular CDI for use on naturally aspirated and nitrous motors. For us it appears that we have the MSD 7730 Controller that can be used to control the ProMag. Several good improvements over the 8973 are the USB plug on the box so NO MORE serial to USB adapters required to connect to a laptop. That means no more adapters going to sleep and freezing up right when you need it most. I love it;). The other interesting thing is it has a Racepak VNET plug on it for recording timing, retards and rev limits onto the Racepak. Another thing I noticed is that the crank trigger input plug has an extra wire shield pin built into the plug so you are going to have to use a three pin crank trigger connector. Hopefully all that will eliminate the EMI problems associated with previous crank triggers. The box also has a micro SD card slot for recording ignition data. Where I see that MSD fell short again was only providing one RPM/Timer controlled switched output that can control a single fuel solenoid. Why not give us three or four of these switched outputs so we can control multiple fuel solenoids or other things. Then all I need is one box to control all my timing and fuel:mad:. Come on MSD.
    Check it out here
    http://www.msdignition.com/Products...30_-_Power_Grid_System_-_Controller_Only.aspx

2. underby6

underby6 Active Member

The new Leahy Command Module, has all the channels, rpm controls, psi controls, timing controls you could want. I'm not sure how it compares apples to apples to the MSD box but def. worth a mention here as well.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

3. aj481x

aj481x Member

I'm waiting to see what Will thinks. :confused:

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Brandon, we will need more than a picture and a $1200 price on the Electrimotion website to do a comparison. Can you even buy the "Command Module" yet? Does it still use a Six Shooter? There is no doubt it will be another well made and well engineered product. Competition is always good. If the MSD 7730 will record timing on the Racepak during a run then that is a $1200+ savings right off the top over doing it the now Racepak or Electrimotion way.

5. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Yes the Command Module is available. You can use the six shooters or for the $1200 version it will control 16 timing inputs as well as two shift/retard controls. You can set up the 24 channels to function off time, rpm, or psi. As far as recording timing, Leahy has a unit for a 0-5v sensor in Racepak that does it for $325.00. The Command Module has PC interface via SD card. You can program it on your computer then transfer it on the screen of the Command Module with the touch of a button. You can edit it from the Command Module as well. It also can be completely controlled by the box, for those not comfortable with the PC/SD idea. I'm becoming familiar with mine and I must say it absolutely shames the 8973 and the previous EM Timers used with six shooters. I'll try to answer any questions anyone has with what I've experienced so far.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

6. 94outlaw

94outlaw New Member

do you know if the 7730 has a time based timing curve like the 8973 does? can't tell by looking at the msd website. is the 7730 available yet?

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

As far as I can tell it does have the time based curve. I tried to download the software and dig more into it but no joy yet. It is available to be purchased at this time.

Found them here at Summit Racing
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-7730/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  8. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

From what I saw it includes what I would call a crude but effective traction control. It's based on previous RPM curves and deviations from that to activate the soft touch rev control. I think it is definitely worth looking into.

9. 94outlaw

94outlaw New Member

the more research i do into the 7730 the more i want one, but it won't be available to the public until the end of feb or beggining of march according to msd. everything i see on it says you can download the graph view software but i have tried several times with no luck:mad:

10. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Sorry, I guess I got the availability date wrong. At the top of the Summit Racing page it says not available from them until 03/30/2011. I managed to download the VIEW software but it does not have the part number 7730 listed in it to see the setup and what can be done and how. That will probably be available at the same time as the 7730.

11. texas racer

texas racer New Member

so, what is it you want to know? i got mine......;)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  12. texas racer

texas racer New Member

13. 94outlaw

94outlaw New Member

i put an order in for one today. i would just like to see the software for the 7730 to see how it is programmed and what the different screens look like. like mike said i downloaded the graph view software but there is no choice for the 7730 in the file menu.

14. texas racer

texas racer New Member

i'll get some screen shots today.

15. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

So tell us where we can download the actual software. Then we can come out and play.

16. texas racer

texas racer New Member

17. DQUES

DQUES Member

So does the 7730 allow you to remove your 6 shooter and retard box when using a pro mag set up ? . It looks like all of the retard is programmed into the 7730 , is this correct .

18. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes, it includes the same basic functionionality as in the 8973. No Six Shooter required

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  19. texas racer

texas racer New Member

yes sir, but it has a few more options ...

the data logging feature ..( monitors rpm,timing in and out, )
    cannot hook up to external inputs ( like wheel and egt's--)

cylinder timing (delay and ramp )
    shift retard
    gear curves
    time-ignition curves

also:
    traction control module ( 7761)
    boost retard module --(7762)

20. Outlaw68

Outlaw68 Member

You got your GRID?? Im confused, I do not believe anyone has them yet, unless you were one of the few who got to test them for MSD.. :) They can be ordered but to my knowledge nobody has recieved one yet. Please let me know. And where did you get it?