new heads...to oring or not to oring?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by caseyspradlin, Nov 16, 2015.

1. caseyspradlin

caseyspradlin Member

getting a set of new heads. brodix BB3 Xtra BBC Chev style. Aluminum block oringed.

old heads are receiver grooved. making 30# boost probably won't ever make more than 35 I would imagine.

Seems latest trick is to not receiver grove the heads at all, just make sure have soft head gasket like a clarks.

Is this legit?

Don't like the oring head deal because I can't throw my heads away after slapping them with pistons...

Thanks

2. aj481x

aj481x Member

We rarely groove the heads, do use Clark.

3. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

Casey, what block are you running?

4. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

I don't get it?? My most recent setup I put the oring in the heads. I was planning on doing a spare set the same way. Wasnt aware there was a downside?

5. caseyspradlin

caseyspradlin Member

Brian - KD500 block

Bjs - in my experience with oringing the heads and receiver groving the blocks, I run heads forever basically...weld them up fix them up, whatever it takes...same heads since 2002.

So when I have hurt them with the oring you have to pull the wires out to surface. They put .041 wires to start with. when you pull them out you have to put .051 back in. I have not found anybody that can put bigger than .051 so now if I have to have more work done to them I can't because I can't take the wire out.

Sure everyone says that this seals better but I think this was a trickle down thing from TA or TF but for TD this does work for a small budget team like me.

Not going this route with new set, was going the reciever grove route but I'm am hearing that is not necessary now....???

6. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

Gotcha. I guess I just figured I might have to get the grooves welded up and recut at some point. The one set is almost as much filler rod as virgin aluminum at this point anyway. Fwiw I don't run reciever grooves and really don't see the benefit. If one oring ever isn't enough, I would go double oring (block and heads on slightly different diameters).