Need Lenco Advice

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by 23T Hemmee, Nov 23, 2008.

1. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

Can anyone tell me what is involved in splitting a CS-2 3-speed to make two 2-speeds out of it? I'm looking at a Bruno for my altered and think running a 3-speed with convertor would probably make for too violent of a launch. Would be nice to have two different 1st gear ratio 2-speeds for various track conditions, and since no one wants to buy the 3-speed because its a coarse spline, at least I can get some use out of it. Any info appreciated.

2. ITS IN MY BLOOD

3. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

I thought they were all two speed cases, thats what the site says, they just have to have some kind of mid-plate to join them, along with the appropriate shafts in between the two units. More confused than I was......:confused:

4. Eric David Bru

Me too, I thought it was all about the ratios...

EDB

5. DQUES

DQUES Member

Why not call Lenco ? .

6. nitrohaulic

nitrohaulic Bracket Racer

There was a guy out of Kentucky who used to run with Southern Fuel Coupes, blown alcohol KB Olds. I remember he had a Lencodrive 2 speed and regretted not getting a 3 speed. Gary Waters?

7. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

Because its Sunday night and they're not open.............. :D
    Main reason for a wanting a 2-speed is consistency, I'm running a 7.00 index class with a mild tuneup 541 KB, I think with a smaller motor the 3-speed would work ok, know a few altereds that just seem to have too much trouble hooking consistently with a lower first gear 3-speed, just trying to avoid that. If I didn't already have the 3-speed, I would probably go with a Lenco-drive, but since I do, the Bruno looks like a better option, and like I said earlier, if I could make two 2-speeds out of the 3-speeds, I would have the option of two different ratio trannys for various track conditions.

Nitro, if I remember right, Garys car was a long wheelbase altered wasn't it?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  8. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

Be careful going to a 2 speed, it will be very hard on bearings if you tug the motor down too much. Tried it once, won the race on a slippery track, but kicked the rods out at the finish line in the final.

9. CMD

CMD TAFC1347

I went the other way with my blown altered, and made a three speed from 2 two speeds. It required an adapter ring, intermediate shaft and machine work to the secondary case to remove the cast in case flange that bolts to the bellhousing.You would need that flange on your second section to use as a separate two speed; it also has the front seal.
    CMD

10. eli

eli Banned

ARE YOU USING A CROWER GLIDE OR A PEDDAL CLUTCH?

Revelation. 11 HERE'S THE CURRENT TIME.

11. BLOWN INCOME

We Run A 3 Speed Lencodrive In A Altered/tafc(pending On Body)..we Presently Have Had No Problems(2008 Season), But Did At First ! Had It To Lean For A Convertor Driven Car...you Can Also Leave In Second Gear Which Would Be The Same As A Two Speed..

12. JT Heslink

JT Heslink New Member

That is one of the more common problems getting a blown converter car off the starting line. They want a ton of fuel at the hit and then you have to take it away with the high speed. I didn't have any problems this year running consistent 1.00 - 1.02 sixty foot times with the back tires. I run a 3 speed lenco drive. However every car and combonation is different and what works in my car won't necessarily work in any one else's.

13. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

I thought about doing just that and using the short split (taller 1st ratio) tranny for marginal tracks and the wide split for good tracks. Downside is the extra weight and friction of the second unit. Would having one of the units already in high on the launch put any more pressure on the clutch pack than it already has or would the convertor absorb some of the strain.

J.T., it seems like most of the guys making a convertor 3-speed work are longer cars, I'm thinking yours is 135", Bronge's is around 140", I know Scott Gaulter has a L-drive 3-speed in his 125" Fiat, but couldn't get it to hook consistently until he took the guts out of the second unit and ran a straight shaft through it. When I was running the 3-speed with a pedal clutch, the car usually went pretty straight, but I'm afraid putting a convertor in front of it is going to change the dynamics pretty drastically, that's why I'm leaning toward a 2-speed. Thanks everyone for your responses.

14. JT Heslink

JT Heslink New Member

My car is 135". That may be the key, but we have two of our racers running the 3 speed Lencodrive in 125" cars and running in the 3.90 range. Both Jack Hodgson and Larry Reep have made the 125" cars work.

15. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

I'd be willing to bet either one of those guys could make a 100" car work, but unfortunately, I "ain't that bright" and am working under a pretty severe knowledge deficit........ :D
    Anyway, the damage is done, looks like a Bruno is coming and I've got a few months to figure this out, but again, thanks everyone for their comments.

16. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

Your wrong. You can buy a gearset eliminator from Lenco and still keep the 3 speed case but only have two speeds.

17. BLOWN INCOME

Ours Is A 125" Along With Another Friends Fiat/fc At 125"..both Will Get Down The Track And Our Has A 180 First In The 3 Speed Lencodrive...whatever You Do Don't Listen To Someone Setting A Clutch Car Up ! Big Difference Leaving The Starting Line,clutch Cars Are At 6000 +rpm .... Our B.v. Is 15% Different And Fat Like J.l. Said,most Of The Fuel System Is Back To Normal By 1.0sec. Into The Run...both Cars Run 3.90 1/8 And 5.90's 1/4(all Depending On The Track Conditions And At The Shift Point For 1st. To 2nd.)

18. nitrohaulic

nitrohaulic Bracket Racer

Gary Watters. Most people think he looks like Eddie Hill. Long wheelbase and a homemade looking red wedge shaped body. He had an FLD Freightliner that he cut down to two axle for towing.

I remember at the show I went to in North Wilkesboro most of the people there were running around trying to figure out how to set their clutches for the next round. He had a leaf blower under his converter and was sipping iced tea. :)

19. H BROWN

H BROWN blown alky

I run a bruno and 2 speed for what its worth. 108'' wheelbase and 3025#. 168 first gear and 456 rear, still learning everyday and hope to be faster next year. if I can offer any thing let me know.
    I hope timing is where its at this year on the converter deal. run this year at fixed 37 degrees and i was tough getting her off the line.

20. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

I didn't realize what it was called but I think that's what Scott Gaulter did on his Lencodrive that I referred to a couple of posts up.