Need advice. Car shuts off in shutdown

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by dragracer1850, Jul 17, 2019.

1. dragracer1850

dragracer1850 New Member

I have a 540 BBC with a 6/71 blower and a terminator style setup on top. Its has a K-valve and the alcohol is shot over top the blower. I love this setup and its deadly consistent. Here are my only two complaints,

1.When I start the car it revs up high and shuts off then its hard to start unless I use my primer set up.
    ( I was wondering if a check valve on top the pump would keep fuel in the system)
    2. When I shut down the car goes lean and stalls out almost every time. I can keep running if I lay on the prime button.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

how far away is your fuel in the line from the pump inlet- pumps do not suck air very good

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The reason the engine speeds up and shuts off and is hard to start is because itwent lean right before it ran out of fuel. Is somebodyvsquirting in fuel to start it and keep it running until the pump pushes the fuel up to the K Valve. If nobody is standing out there squirting in fuel then you need a small pump for a primer system. Tell us more.
    As far as the motor shutting off at the end of the run is most likely because the butterflies are closing all the way up when you lift. What clearance air gap do you have the butterflies set at and is it a positive stop when they close

4. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

If your saying you pull the chutes or brakes and then the engine shuts off, the fuel is running away from the pickup and you need some additional baffling to help keep it wet, as mike said above they don’t like to suck air. I always wanted to try a deal like your describing, but with the bill Mitchell injectorator deal Sid Waterman pioneered. Those things actually had an accelerator pump on them, so you could pump the throttle a few times and fire it up. Back on track, a check valve could help your situation, and if I was to use a check valve, I would use one of the high flow flapper types to limit disruption of your fuel system. Something on the order of this, but make sure that it is alky compliant.

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-a...uct_search&utm_source=googleproductsearchusen

5. dragracer1850

dragracer1850 New Member

I have a gas primer on it now, I have butterflys set at around 008.

Attached Files: