msd welder vs mallory joy buzzer?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by jdgmntl, Aug 9, 2003.

1. jdgmntl

jdgmntl New Member

Hey guys me again!
    I have another question. We are all looking for more power reliability ect. We have a new pro44 system and all accounts that we pull ignition advance out of our combination to allow for the hotter spark of the msd. Conventional thinking would think that we do not need to pull that spark is spark right? Not according to our pit pals. Isn't the reason for the big power so as not to blow out the candles? If we want 30d of lead with the mallory why would this change with the pro mag? Does flame propogation across the piston change that much? Any ideas from other mad scientist type guys?Thanks JD

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

while i dont have that much experience with the mallory's i'll take a stab at it.

i would venture to say its because the msd is going to burn the fuel alot quicker resulting in more pre ignition than desired ignition which will lead to a pretty lean situation and some serious detonation. one benefi i could see for taking lead out of it is you should be able to burn the same amount of fuel with less lead with the 44. your total hp is a measure of hp made minus hp used. the combustion might make 7000 hp but the compression stroke might take 4000 hp resulting in 3000 hp total. by reducing the amount of pre ignition/cylinder pressure caused by that much lead, you could reduce the hp used to increase total hp.

maybe i'm off base, but thats my take on it without having the experience of changing from mallory's to msd. timing can tear alot of stuff up, so its always a dept. to play it safe in. back it off to a 'safe' point and slowly move up after making runs after reading the plugs, bearings and computer.

what combo are you running? if it is a fat head deal start off around 24-25 degrees should be plenty safe unless you have a ton of compression.

[ August 11, 2003, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Will Hanna ]

3. tmfc274

tmfc274 super comp

when we changed over msd told us that for every degree you take out of the timing.
    you unload the crank by a ton.
    we went from 34 degree,s with mallory 3,s.
    to 25 with the 44.
    9 ton,s .

4. jdgmntl

jdgmntl New Member

Hey guys!
    I kind of knew that retarding the timing would reduce rod load but at what cost? We went from 34 degrees advance to 26 and promptly went from 6.42@4800ftcorr. to 6.44@300ft with the same tune up from edmonton to mission. Rod load is a factor in longgevity of the engine but in reality we are the last of the run what ya brung didja bring enuff? kind of guys. I finally talked to JD at msd and he said that they would not pull timing but did mention that you reduce rod load especially during the btdc side of engine loading by pulling a couple of degrees. So I guess we will start creeping up on it to see how far the alcohol god will lets us have until he needs a sacrafice. Keep you posted.JDD