MSD points box rev lim or not?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by M Tigges, Nov 8, 2004.

1. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

I noticed some prefer not to run the limiter box any reason why?

2. aj481x

aj481x Member

It seems like a good idea to me. We have used them for years and "bumped" it many times.

3. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

with non-limiter only $100 cheaper i can see no reason why you would not run the limiter box

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

My understanding is that the MSD Points Box without the rev limiter is normally for Top Fuel guys because they never use a rev limiter. I cannot even comprehend a blown alcohol with a Lenco not having a rev limiter to protect the motor if a sprag goes bad or you break and Lenco input shaft or you lose a driveshaft or rear end or or or or.

5. flash

flash top alcohol

rolled a sprag at last div race,had a 10400 high side chip in msd box,computer told us the motor went to 10359,then stopped!! I will never run a alcohol blown motor without a rev limiter,it's cheap insurance to keep damage under control!!

6. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

some believe that the rev control creates a potential problem. those of you that read here regularly have heard of stories from me and other racers of control boxes going bad. some associate that with rev control boxes. also the teams that choose to rev one higher, the rev chip starts hitting about 4-600 rpm away from the chip. so if you're really trying to rev one up, you may not want it to hit the chip.

as for me, yall are preaching to the choir. i'm a big advocate of a rev limiter.

7. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

I was just thinking some thought the limiter side would foul up sometimes. maybe screw up a run here or there. pitch the belt etc.

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The only thing that I have ever seen go wrong is sometimes (not often) a plugin chip changes value due to age or heat and changes the rpm set point. They are easy to read with multimeter and to compare the resistence with a new one.

9. Dragster503

Dragster503 Dragster

How is MSD's limiter compared to PSI's? Just curious, we have have the MSD points box with the limiter and havn't heard much about PSI's.

10. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

Lencos roll a sprag. That hardly never happens ;) .

The rev limiter is a must for a TAFC with a Lenco.

Question for the B&J users. Do B&J transmissions roll sprags as easy as the Lencos?

11. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson New Member

Rolled 1 in 9 years. And that one was the drivers fault

12. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

We never have ethier! good maint.

13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

If you measure the width of the flat spot on the teeth where it makes contact with the inner race and never let is get wider than .075 without changing it will help the reliability. The other thing to check carefully for scoring is the inner hub that the teeth rotate around. Tire shake really takes its toll on the first section sprag.