Msd 8973

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Money Shot, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

Has anyone here had issues with this box? I just converted from a 565 BBC with a MSD 10 to a 526 Veney Hemi with a Mag 44 and a 8973 controller. Upon idle and free revving the engine it sounds like it will rotate the earth. As soon as I let go of the transbrake it drops #7 and #8 cylinder and will hardly rev. (Acts like it loses all timing as well.) We thought maybe the fuel was just way fat but after leaning it down from a 55 main to a 90 main it was clear that the box is acting up. I plan on putting a two step on it and try it this week. Just wondering if anybody else has seen similar problems with this box.

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

No there are no problems with the box except for possible Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) from the high energy spark being picked up by using an unshielded crank trigger cable. If you are using a crank trigger then you HAVE to use a shielded crank trigger cable. The 8973 does not know the difference from one cylinder to another so it can't just kill cylinders 7 and 8. If the box was bad then it would mess up all cylinders. The 8973 provides the same signal for all the cylinders. The only thing that can mess up just two cylinders and always be the same two cylinders would be a bad distributor cap, bad ignition wires or bad sparkplugs to those cylinders. The EMI picked up in a crank trigger can mess up the timing.

have you set it up for any launch retard and if so how are you doing it? It sounds like it is Lauch Retarding at the release of the transbrake button. How do you have the blue wire from the 8973 hooked up?

3. racer313g

racer313g New Member

Double and Triple check the config in your box. If you're not familiar with how it works, get the manual out or call MSD for help. You can get screwed up really quick if things aren't set correctly.

4. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

wiring

The Blue wire is hooked into my transbrake wire. It is the switched hot wire and not the constant hot wire. I do not use a crank trigger. I run off the mag. I do use the shielded wire from the mag to the 8973. It is grounded where my 10 was. (On the chassis frame) I took 100% of all retards out of the box to see if it made a difference and it did not. I am going to pull the 8973 out and put a two step in just to see if it makes a difference. The MSD tech guy seems to think its a ground issue. I have the heads grounded to the frame on each side. MSD Tech guy says to also run a ground from head to head and from head to 8147 housing. He said also ground the 8973 to chassis as well as the 8147 housing. He said I may have screwed up putting my plug wires together. He said I did not need to bend the inner wire into the terminal that this causes problems....???? Never heard of that. I have always crimped all my plug wires that way for the last 20 years with no problems. MSD Tech guy also says I need a noise filter. Funny how the MSD 10 had no issues but the mag does. Im sure its something stupid I am overlooking.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes, the heads should be grounded to each other and then to chassis ground and should be the same ground as the coil. Swap your use a ohm meter and check out your plug wires. Compare them to each other and see if 7 & 8 match all the rest.

With a laptop hooked to the 8973 turn the power on to the ignition and look in the upper left corner where it says MONITORS and see what retards are turned on or off. You will probably need to push the transbrake button once to initiate the 8973. No need to have the motor running.

6. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

Thanks Mike. Ill give that a shot.

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

They other thing you can do is to email me your saved MSD file for the 8973 and I can look at it and see if anything is setup incorrectly. I doubt it but you can never tell. If you desire you can email it direct to mike.c@mindspring.com

8. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

Ripped the 8973 out and put a basic two step in its place. Sounds like a totally different beast. Will update after tonight.

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes, it will sound different. The 8973 has a "Soft Touch" rev limiter that uses software to make sure that a cylinder(s) is not shut off for two consecutive firings so it does load up or fill up with fuel. The analog type Two Step is purely random as to what cylinders it is shutting down and can be the same cylinder(s) consecutively so it sounds harsher or as some people say meaner.

I am prety sure it was just a matter of setting up the 8973 correctly. Did you check the MONITOR on the laptop to see if everything was set up how you thought?

Did you ground both heads to each other and to ground

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  10. hines

hines Member

The first question I ask is what is the mag compensation set on. It comes on Auto and it does not work. You must set it at 2-4 degrees.

11. blownapex

blownapex Member

mine was set on auto for 5 years and worked fine
    now its set on 2 degree and runs good also
    i really dont know what it does
    i record timing with lahees box and it looks good
    every run
    maybe someone could explain mag compensation
    thanks

12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Used to compensate the Mag pickup trigger retard timing.
    User adjustable as 0.0, 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, AUTO.
    Manual is active from 3,000 rpm to 12,500 rpm range.
    Auto is active from 800 rpm to 12,500 rpm range.
    There is a 4 degree offset from the input signal to the
    output. Crank triggers are typically 2 degrees.
    Distributors are typically 1 degree.
    ProMag interfaces should use AUTO.

Above is from MSD. You can see right off the bat that if MANUAL is used then the timing below 3000 rpm when set with a timing light may be different above 3000 rpm depending on what you have set in. Manual is normally only used on Mags that do not have automatic timing correction so they retard as the load is put on a mag. With the ProMag systems the standard is to set it up in AUTO because it has automatic timing compensation in the Electronic Points Box. So in AUTO if you are setting the timing when at idle of 1800-2000 rpm then what you see is going to be what you get for sure.

13. blownapex

blownapex Member

so mike if i have a 8973 with crank trigger it should be set on auto
    mine is set on 2 degree now and the timing is set
    if i change to auto i willhave to check and change timing correct
    or is it ok as is if ive checked timing at the 2 degree setting
    thanks

14. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

MSD back room guys told me always to be in AUTO with a promag even with a crank trigger but I will double check my memory and ask them again and get back to you. Don't want to have a "senior moment" and mess up a motor.

15. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

The box was not working per MSD. There was no "flashing red light" when we fired the motor. Sent box back to MSD yesterday. Both heads are now grounded to each other and the frame. Thanks again for all the input Mike. BTW.....Are you a MSD Tech? If not....You should be.

16. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

No not a MSD Tech. They have done a lot for us in the past and because of that I have a good communication with them I do them a favor and help them.

Speaking of MSD. I emailed Mr. ProMag with the question on the 8973 and the ProMag and the crank trigger and he says leave it in AUTO. There are tricks that can be played by putting it in MANUAL but it would be really confusing to most. So AUTO for MagComp with the ProMag with or without the crank trigger.

And YES to the answer if you are going to change from MANUAL to AUTO then you should check your timing.

Just a quick reminder. The easiest way to set up the 8973 is to hard wire one of the Step Retards to have 12 volts anytime the ignition is turned on. Then if you want 26* then with zero degrees in that Step Retard time it for something greater like 28* or 30*. Now if it is at 30* just put 4* retard in the Step Retard to bring it back to 26*. After you have set the timing at 30* Now anytime you check the timing or you want to change it then just change the amount of degrees in the Step Retard. Saves having to have two people and getting zapped when turning that mag to adjust the timing. Now you can adjust it in a flash.

17. crashly

crashly Member

i even leave my msd10+ and msd8973 in AUTO mode too.

18. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

Update

Tested last night after taking the 8973 out and putting a two step in its place. Same problem.....The 8973 was good after all.

Motor sounds great at fire up. Once the car goes into gear its gets really lazy and is a complete pig going down the track.(Does not want to rev or make power) I am running straight off the mag 44 at 28 degrees of timing. Some say its a rolled a sprag in the converter. I am having a hard time buying into that. Either way I will pull the converter and put a spare in and go test again tomorrow.

526 KB Hemi
    Veney/SSI Heads
    SSI 14/71HH
    BAU Injector
    1100 pump

19. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

few things

Take the ignition off and send to Leahy. Sounds like you have something wrong - coil, points box or generator. If you are using a tach converter, change that out too, I've seen those wreak havoc. The car has run good before or is this the first hits on a new combination?

What plug gap are you running?

You have at least changed the wires recently? Coil wire fires 8 more times than the rest...what does the cap and rotor look like? Big cap or small cap?

Does the motor sound fine and rev up in neutral? Glide or Lencodrive? If it busted a sprag in a glide should see a lot of debris in the pickup filter. If it's a Lencodrive it will drive through the transbrake if the converter sprag is busted. Been there, got that t-shirt.

I'm not a roots guy, but I have heard tale about rotors being in backwards and doing similar symptoms. Sounds great idling, but runs like crap.

If this is a new combo, need to make sure everything in the fuel system is right. If it's way too rich, it will have similar symptoms. Like a poppet being plugged with gunk, so all the fuel is going to the motor. Don't ask me how I know, but I've seen two pills in the BV block the return off, sending all the fuel into the motor.

That's the easy stuff to check...

20. smallfish

smallfish Guest

Manual is normally only used on Mags that do not have automatic timing correction so they retard as the load is put on a mag. With the ProMag systems the standard is to set it up in AUTO because it has automatic timing compensation in the Electronic Points Box. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011