MSD 7730 Power Grid Iginition Controller

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by OKC-Oilie, Aug 28, 2011.

1. OKC-Oilie

OKC-Oilie Funny Car

Anyone using the new 7730 have a data file for the box they would be willing to share? The "sample" file with the 7730 doesn't help much. I'd like to see how someone using the system really programs the box.

Since there are so many ways to screw up, just trying to eliminate most of 'em!

2. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Won't share the data file. but it is very simple to use..

First thing is shift light, don't set it to read RPM dips too soon.. Set it at 1.5-1.6 for launch delay, the 500 on the drop, then .5 on the shift delay, same thing for the 2-3.. that way if you overcounter and dip the thing or driver pedals, you're still good.

Second thing is you can run it however you want, just remember you can't put more timing in than what the mag physically shows off the trigger. Set your base timing to whatever you like, but if you want to be safe, phase the mag and trigger to the max timing you would run anyway.

Keep it simple at first.. stick with the basic launch activated timing curve.. runs just like a 6 shooter.. you can make the timing shifts abrupt or slope them.. Just remember everything is relative to your base timing.

Just read through the instructions a few times.. You'll get it.. And if you're not running a trigger, get one..

3. OKC-Oilie

OKC-Oilie Funny Car

Thanks for the info. I understand your not sharing a data file, but, was looking to see if someone would to better familiarize myself with the box.

Just did a bench test and things are working. Have the 8993 tester to simulate iginition and that REALLY helps. Next step is to hook up the shift light and test the light-shift points-rev limiting.

Which brings up a question: does the rev limter still operate without the add-on box? The way I read the instructions it does.

Thanks again JustinatAce

4. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Yes.. Rev limiter is now operated by the 7730.. And it works well..

5. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

When running one with a Trans-brake I found that I needed to keep my three step switch activiated from the time I started it untill I finished backing up after the burnout. Doing so keeps the power grid from starting the launch retards when I release the t-brake button after backing up. It also allows the car to rev above the safety limit you may have set for downtrack...I set mine at 2100 rpms, and found that when warming up in the pits it will not rev. past the pre-set limit without hiting the trans brake and simulating a run. So it's just easier to leave the three step switch on untill I'm ready to pull up into the stageing beams for a run, I love it so far.

6. moparchris440

moparchris440 Member

just set your start time at say 2500, and bumping the trans break button while backing up or whatever wont start the timer