MSD 44 plug gap

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by dunnandgone, May 25, 2005.

1. dunnandgone

dunnandgone Authorized Merchant

I looked on the MSD site for proper plug gap but didn't see it, how much should I run? Thanks

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

.015 - .018 depending on how much boost and compression. Most PSI guys I believe run around .015 and most roots guys like around .018.

3. altered boy

altered boy Outlaw Altered

yep... what he said

4. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

On our 6061 NGK plugs (hemi), the ground strap is really hard to adjust. It does not come down over the positive electrode like most other plugs. I called Jon at NGK and they said to run 'em right out of the box - no adjustment needed. The gap is a little hard to check on these also - since the electrodes are at intersecting angles, you can slide a feeler gauge in at different angles and get different measurements. We just screw 'em in and run 'em...but I think that they are manufactured with approx .018" gap...

5. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

We run .015. Seems to work pretty good, never have had a problem. MSD 44, Champion plugs, Roots blower TAFC.

6. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

thats why they make them wire loop feeler gauges for plugs

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

i've gapped hundreds if not thousands of 6061 ngk plugs. get a hard surface ( a hammer usually is the easiest to use ) tap it down and check the gap between the electrode with a feeler gauge. .015 is a good gap for those plugs. those plugs are closer to .030 to .032 out of the box. if you're running nitro, it's not as critical because you should be burning the electrodes off anyway. if you're running blown alcohol, its critical to have them gapped the same if you're going to get your cylinders close. i've had a psi motor drop cylinders at .026 gap when someone gapped them wrong. not gapping them is a bad idea in my opinion.

8. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Personally my favorite spark plug gapping tool was the backside of the bench vise lol.

Now we use an actual tool that my Grandpa (George Sitko) in California builds. Photo is attached to this message. It's held in the vise, has a detent plunger nut that holds the plug in place, and a screw with a t-handle on the end of it. Put the feeler blade between the electrode and the strap and tighten the screw until it is tight by hand, loosen, and you're done! It takes about 5 seconds per plug (depending on whether or not you have to tear that annoying washer/gasket off the plug). And the best part is, after you do the first one or two you don't really have to check them- it's way faster!

Instead of dreading the lengthy spark plug gapping ritual of "tap it & check it" and only gapping what I REALLY need, I gap 2 or 3 sets at a time- in the same amount of time, if not less!

[​IMG]

[ May 26, 2005, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC ]

9. Leon

Leon New Member

So how do we get one Nathan? I love tools.

10. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

I love tools too! lol. You can give George a call at 562-243-0482. He doesn't do computers, so his phone is the only way to get a hold of him.