MSD 2 step

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by planbmotorsports, Mar 3, 2007.

1. planbmotorsports

I have seen some of the alcohol cars are running the 2 step rev limiter with the mag 44 at the tree for staging with a clutch. Does anyone have any experience with the cons of using this method and the effects on motor parts with a big boost screw blower setup. Thanks

2. dak

dak Member

I'd check with the Promod guys.. I was in Mission this year and the hard running cars all had 2 steps...I videoed a couple of cars and it was weird. Injectors wide open (sounds like a Super cat. car) + dropping cylinders. They were definatley leaving harder than the cars that were swapping pedals.

3. mikeg1055

mikeg1055 New Member

Check the nhra rule book under alcohol dragster transmission section [ includes funny cars ]. It states no automated rpm control device during the staging /launching process allowed . I dont have a current ihra rulebook - dont know what there rules are .

4. streethot

streethot New Member

have anyone tried with crowerglide?

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

We use a Two Step with a Rootes blower on a ProMod car with no problems. It is very common in the Outlaw ProMod world.

I can't see why you would use a Two Step on a Crowerglide. I thought you launched those equipped cars from idle????

6. OwnBlock

OwnBlock Member

Convertor car too ???

With a convertor car, is this a matter of just plugging it into the rev limiter & setting up a transbrake button, or are more components required I.E MSD 7 or 8 unit ?

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

You can use just the small MSD Two Step box. The difference with using a MSD Digital Box which there are many is that the Digital Box has a soft touch rev limiter which will never stop firing one cylinder twice in a row. It has a program that always picks diferent cylinders. This stop you from loading up cylinders. A regular Two Step Box sounds different than a Digital Box like a Digital 7 unit when on the step.

8. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

2 steps are prohibitted in IHRA ProMod but allowed in NHRA ProMod. I first noticed this at Indy last year. I couldn't believe my ears at first. Then I asked a few guys in the ProMod pits and they confirmed that I was indeed hearing what I thought I was hearing. I asked a few T/A guys and they say a screw blower would "never leave the line" on a two step.

9. planbmotorsports

2 step

Did they give you a reason why it would not get off the line with a screw blower. I saw Jay Payne using it on his alcohol car at the end of last year and it seemed to help his car but I wanted to make sure that it would not cause me other issues.

10. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

2 Step

The Screw Blown Pro Mods Get Off The Line Ok With Them.
    .975 60' And 2.58 330' And A 3.86 Last Weekend From Hernandez

11. smbs

smbs New Member

2 step

anyone ever tried with a whipple/lencodrive?

12. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

2 Step

Friend Of Mine Runs One On A Whipple W A Clutch, Works Good
    Hugh Scott Runs A Whipple-lencodrive,not Sure If He Runs A 2 Step

13. smbs

smbs New Member

2 step

shawn, how could I get in touch with these guys?