Mert Littlefield R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by bruce mullins, Sep 20, 2010.

1. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

just read on Brad's facebook page that Mert passed today. . god speed Mert. . He was always good as gold to me! Wishing Brad and Mert's family the best!

2. blackeyes

blackeyes New Member

My dad was an amazing man and will be greatly missed. We appreciate all the kind words from our friends that we have already received this very difficult morning.

- kasey littlefield

3. missnmydad

missnmydad New Member

So very sorry

Lee, Kasey and Brad,

Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you all. Please dont hesitate to let us know if we can do anything for you, we know exactly how you are all feeling. Thoughts and prayers to you all.

4. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Mert was one of those guys that if he had it in his trailer it was yours if you needed it. His hard work ethic quietly showed everyone who knew him he was not afraid to get his hands dirty. I guess I'm a little stunned.

I'm gonna miss Mert's shout outs..."HEY RANDY-MAN!"

Remember one of Mert's biggest wins? [​IMG]

RG

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  5. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Great picture Randy!

RIP Mert, a good friend to all who knew or did business with him.

6. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

Mert

our condolences to the family.
    Bill Naves and team Shooting Star

7. blackeyes

blackeyes New Member

Randy, that was one of my best memories of racing. We had a great time taking over IHRA. My family was ecstatic to take home that trophy.

8. duane shields

duane shields New Member

Great Guy!!

Mert was a great guy. He was always friendly to us, especially when we were the new guys on the block. I'm glad he got time to get out and about after his retirement from driving the funny car. To the family, I know this is a hard time for you guys. Remember all the great memories you had with him.

Lee, Brad, Kasey know that you are in our hearts and prayers.

Duane Shields and the entire Shields Racing Team

9. the jet

the jet New Member

Very sorry, thoughts and prayers are with you.
    John Anderika

10. T.A.D. 776

T.A.D. 776 New Member

I am so sorry to hear this. I always liked Mert. Great to do business with and a great sportsman at the races. He was one of those guys I just liked right off when I met him.

My condolences to the family and all of his close friends at this time.

From David Hitt at Full Race Supply

I will send some more White Chocolate

11. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

Sad News !

God speed Mert Littlefield ! He sure put a smile on alot of faces over the years .

12. lambfunnycar

lambfunnycar New Member

The Littlefield family and products have always been great to me. Sorry for your loss, you are in our prayers.
    Todd Lamb and family

13. hemi honey bunny

hemi honey bunny New Member

One of a Kind!

Such a sad day indeed! We have lost a "One of a Kind". I am sending condolences from Bunny & All The Boys as my heart is deeply saddened and I know that I have lost a true friend that made a major impact on my life and 45 year career. The countless times that he helped me out when I needed to be at a match race somewhere and couldn't pay him right then....it would arrive with no questions asked! He can never be replaced! We all will miss him and Heaven will be lucky to have him......God Speed Mert............Gone but not Forgotten

14. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Mert

Mert was not only one of the heroes of alcohol racing, but the sport of drag racing itself, along with many other forms of motorsport that have used roots style superchargers over the years. The Littlefield name has become synonymous with superchargers, and many of us who knew him would simply refer to them as a "Mert 14-71."

Beyond the legacy his product will leave on the sport is the personal impact he made. I've said this before, but I may have grew up a little too late to miss really getting to race and hang around guys like Mert. I grew up hearing my dad and Jay Meyer tell stories about shenanigans with Mert at the track. In my first trip out to Pomona in '99, one of the first things I did was stop by his pit and get one of the famous Littlefield Superchargers black T-Shirts. I wore that shirt out because I wanted to be the cool guy with the Littlefield shirt at the track.

The Littlefield legacy of excellence will continue in the sport, not only with his superchargers, but with his son Brad. You can see his love and enthusiasm for the sport in every article he writes. He'll gladly pick up a wrench and get dirty the first chance he gets. I'm sure Lee and the gang at the supercharger shop will continue to crank out quality chargers for many years to come.

I'm sure all the kind words in the world only put a small dent in the feeling of loss right now. With that my thoughts and prayers are with the family right now.

RIP and Godspeed my friend. God must have wanted a hot rod with a true "roots" whine.

15. Barry Ferriolo

I never had the pleasure of meeting the man, nor did I know much about his products - but several years ago, I asked Frank Manzo what type of blower he used before the screw. He quickly replied.. I'm a Mert Littlefield man! Quite a testimonial to a product and the man that made it.

16. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Mert

Mert was a Great guy, We are all sad here Today,We bought our first new big MERT in 1999. Mert came to the IHRA races to stay with us back in 2002 2003 they were some of our most memorable times we had racing. I remember sitting up with Mert late at night at he races listening to all of the places he had raced , then i would be talking and Mert would be snoring ! I remember Dad and Mert's long talks about how to make those lobed water pumps work better!

R.I.P MERT

FRED ,CLAIRE and Mark
    TIGGES RACING

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  17. JP

JP Member

RIP Mert , I was one of the many helped by you one time or another

18. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

Mert

Our deepest condolences to Mert's family.

Ken, George, Troy and Nathan Sitko

19. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

A friend a racer and a icon...3 words= 1 thing...Mert Littlefield
    Dave Lowe and the secondwind racing team

20. Paul Noakes

Paul Noakes Member

Sad News

So sad to here the terrible news, like every one else is saying- great man, great products, always helped my father and myself when needed. Including the time he and Lee put together enough info and pictures and mailed it to Canada so I could teach a good/ interesting lesson on superchargers to a grade 12 automotive class. Didn't even let me pay for shipping.
    Mert will be in my prayers!
    RIP
    Paul Noakes & Family