Media blasting cost question

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Soldierboy0098, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Soldierboy0098

Soldierboy0098 Active Member

Hi,

Anyone who has had experience with this please chime in. I do not want to sandblast the chassis.

I need to have my 288 wb dragster chassis media blasted to get the old paint off as it is a few different colors in different spots and some spots are not painted at all. What is a fair price to have it blasted for either with walnut shells or plastic?

Thanks,
    Trevor Sherwood
    727-364-4368

2. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Trev..why not sand blast?? I have had fiberglass bodies done with Walnut Shells.....the guy STILL f'd up the Body! hahaha ..Moly is HARD! Sand Blasting will NOT hurt it! Get that car our and RACE IT! Before the Specs change again!!! lol!!

3. Soldierboy0098

Sandblast

Everyone told me not to sand blast the chassis. Everything from it takes the protective coating off the moly and also leaves pits. I was even told that it will take some of the metal away making the tubing thinner. This came from Mike Kopchick, a racer who worked in media blasting for ages, ect...all informed people. I have a sandblaster here but do not want to screw up this chassis. Looking like aircraft stripper may be the cheapest way to go.

Trev

4. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

I wouldn't even think about blasting a molly frame..(big mistake)..Dave

5. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Trev
    Dont sand blast it!
    the last one i had walnut shelled was about 300 bucks but well worth the differance in sand
    once it is clean, oil it, forget the paint and run the damn thing...
    john

6. ta455

ta455 Member

7. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

John...im CURIOUS! I have never blasted a chassis.....what happened???

8. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

First it makes it very hard to finish with all the porous spots it makes on the tube ,where you end up using 80 gallons of primer to fill the pits in.
    it DOES remove metal when you blast it so if you have a guy who doesnt care you will have thin spots.
    I did it once a long time ago and told myself and any one else listening do not ever do that again
    With walnut shell blasting you can still read the heat #'s on the tube when they are done
    I guess my biggest question is why would you ever paint a chassis to begin with, those days are gone.
    There is also the recycled glass blasting some are using but i do not know what that does to the finish.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  9. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Ive got a Junior Chasssis here with the WORST Powder Coat job I have EVER seen! Was your chassis painted or Powder coated? I know powder is HARDER than paint! Curious if "shells" would remove that?

10. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

yes it would remove it

11. Soldierboy0098

Media blasting

Uncle Tim....You are a bad influence....lol and you never answer your phone :)

To the gentleman who posted the link I did check it out, I was told if you soda blast you have to use something afterwards to neutralize the soda chemicals, though I may contact that company for a price on walnut or if the stripper fails we may look into the soda. Thanks for posting the link.

The guy who quoted me to do the walnut shells wanted $950..... I could almost build a new back half for it for that price....lol

After a talk with Mark Tigges I think we are just going to brush on paint stripper and rinse it off with water which neutralizes the stripper, then oil the crap out of it, repeat every 3 months on tear down as needed....

I won't repaint this one as its not rusted, just has 3 very different shades of grey on parts and then no paint on other spots, then there is the spot where it torched the head gasket and made the frame like a smooth bright grey in about a 1 foot section.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice....except Tim...lol (Kidding)
    Trev

12. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

you do know you can remove powder coating with a torch just dont get it to hot
    i believe most ovens are set at around 350° to melt the powder
    $950 to blast with shells ---that guy is smoking some good stuff
    alot of the bigger powder coating shops have shell blasting at least around here..

13. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

There isn't a Powder Coater in Grand Rapids that offers Blasting!!! I find that CRAZY??!! Trev...best to call my cell...I usually have a welding hood on unless Im eating or sleeping!! hahaha.....and I am Busy as CRAP right now!

14. Soldierboy0098

Tim

Did you ask Buzz, he may do it or know of someone nearby.

I ended up going to Autozone and buying a gallon of paint remover for $40 vs. the $950 the guy wanted to walnut blast. I tried it today by brushing some on with an old semi stiff paint brush and wiped it off after 2 minutes with a scotch bright pad and it looks great. I was told to wash the chassis off afterwards to keep it from getting corrosive but I just wiped the area down with an old t-shirt and its fine so far.

I called home and the cell....even turned on the Uncle Tim signal. I was about to hire Buzz as a bounty hunter and send him over...lol I'm just picturing you sleeping in the hood while welding.

I will be doing the whole frame on Monday and will take before and after pics for you, but you will have to check your messages to see them...hint hint...lol. Just teasing you bud

Also that's a bit like seal clubbing going from Top alcohol back to a Jr.....Give those poor kids a chance Tim... lol

How's the blower motor coming out? also which blower did you go with?

Trev

15. secondwindracing

Do yourself a big favor and use aircraft stripper,,,you will thank me after it is all done..Dave

16. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

For Powder Coat?

17. secondwindracing

everyone thinks powder coating is so hard..well it's not if you think it is go spray carb cleaner on it and see what happens..remember ceramic coating and powder coating is two differ things..Dave

18. Soldierboy0098

Stripper

Used the aircraft stripper and a power washer and nothing more. In 2 days its all done except the bottom which I will finish tomorrow and it came out great, the only thing I noticed is the cockpit and back half which are original since 96 are grey and the front half which was done in 07 is black...not sure if it's a different type of tubing or if they prepped it with something before painting it but we will oil it up and get out the few rust sports and it should be pretty enough, best of all no cracks.

Thanks to everyone for the help,
    Trevor Sherwood

19. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

COOL! So what is the BEST Air Craft stripper to use?? PS...Trev....Buzz will be here this Weekend!! hahaha

20. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

trev...havnt seen a message on my Phone?? I DID talk to Buzz today so I am STILL alive!! LOL!! Sorry...I get up in the A.M......WORK...get the Boys ready for School....Work, Work, Work.....get the Boys off the Bus.....Home Work......Work, Work......Dinner......Work....Get the Boys to Bed......Work......Ya...Then I get a few hours to SLEEP!! Life is GREAT!!