Thacker Earns Runner-up Finish in Jeg’s All-Stars
Next Stop Joliet Divisional Event
After a good showing including a runner-up finish in the Jeg’s All-Star event in Joliet, Illinois last weekend the Rapid Transit Race Team will return to the same site for the Divisional event this weekend. The Knoll Gas – Torco Racing Fuels sponsored blown alcohol dragster, based out of Robinson, Illinois, ran well all last weekend with 6 runs between 5.34 and 5.49.
Driver, Marty Thacker, qualified in the top half of the field for both events, #8 and #3, with a 5.34 at 266 MPH. In the Jeg’s event, Thacker took out his first opponent with a 5.39 at 266 MPH. In round two the defending event champion turning on the win light again with 5.49 at 257 MPH. In the final round of the event, Thacker had another good pass of 5.39 at 266 MPH and lead the whole way down the track until just before the finish line when he was edged out by .009 or about 4 feet. The first round of the National event held on Sunday morning, Thacker had a great light (.029) and ran a 5.40 but was unfortunately unable to hold off his opponent.
“We felt like we were making a lot progress on the new tune-up. Then we lost an engine in the semi-finals of the All-Stars. Even though we didn’t believe it was tune-up related, rather a parts failure, we still had to become more cautious. It cost us the final round of All-Stars, and slowed us down on Sunday. I don’t think that any blown car would have won our 1st round match on Sunday, but we know we should have ran better,” said Thacker.
“I’ve always felt the difference between good teams and great teams is the tenacity. My guys have that up to here. We’re going to get this Knoll Gas – Torco Racing Fuels dragster back to the front of the pack. Hopefully, this weekend.”
Qualifying for the Joliet Divisional event will begin on Friday with one pass at 5 PM. On Saturday they will get two more shots at 5 PM and 8 PM. Eliminations for the event will begin at 1 PM on Sunday and continue throughout the day. For up to date coverage of the event please log onto www.dragracecentral.com.
- Last weekend, the Team moved up into 11th place in the National standings, less than 1 round win out of the Top 10.
- The Team went to three final rounds last year and earned one win at the prestigious Jeg’s All-Star event in Joliet, Illinois. Last weekend, they earned a runner-up finish in the Jeg’s All-Star event.
- The Team set a personal best ET of 5.26 at the TORCO Racing Fuels National event in Richmond, Virginia the end of last season.
- The 2005 Division 3 Champions finished 3rd in the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series points standings and finished in 16th place nationally in 2006.
- The Team, based out of Robinson, Illinois, has won 5 UDRA National Championships and 2 NHRA Divisional championships.
Please visit the official team website www.rapidtransitracing.com.
You can access the full line of innovative products offered by our major sponsor TORCO Racing Fuels including racing gasoline, additives, and Skull Gear at www.torcoracefuels.com.
Visit the websites of our current associate and product sponsors at the following websites:
Hoosier Racing Tire – www.hoosiertire.com
Lucas Oil – www.lucasoil.com
Fatheadz – www.fatheadz.com
Submitted by: Shanna Snyder-Bell
Contact Person: Marty Thacker
Contact email address: firstname.lastname@example.org