Mag or MSD 10+

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by James D, Mar 3, 2005.

1. James D

James D New Member

New to this site and to blown alcohol. I have a 588 BBC with dart 360's and a Hi-Helix 1471. I'm thinking about going with the new MSD 10+ (or other electronic ignition Crane 8?) or a mag. I already have the dist. and crank tigger and it fits under the bottom of the blower. I plan on running 10-25 lbs of boost and would rather avoid an offset or front drive set-up. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Danny Humphreys

I run a MSD 10 on a 557 inch chevy @ 50+ lbs of boost with no problems. Most on here will tell you a mag is the only way to go. But that's because they've never run the MSD stuff.

3. was R4K

was R4K Member

I don't feel that you have made a correct assumption as to why a mag is preferred Danny, but I could stand to be corrected. Looking forward to this thread with interest. Personally, my choice would be the 44.

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Maybe this comparison can help. Spark energy is measured in MilliJoules at the sparkplug gap. It is this spark energy that has the ability to fire a spark across a gap in a high pressure environment while submerged in alcohol.

MSD 7AL2 box puts out 110 MilliJoules
    MSD 7AL3 box puts out 160 MilliJoules
    MSD Digital 7 puts out 190 MilliJoules
    MSD 10+ puts out a whopping 700 MilliJoules
    ProMag 12 puts out 300 MilliJoules
    ProMag 44 puts out 950 MilliJoules

So you can see that an MSD 10+ puts out more than a ProMag 12 but less than a ProMag 44. Pretty close to a ProMag 44. Plus the other thing is that you can add the Digital Programmable control box to the MSD 10+ and have the same type of software that you get in a Digital 7. The only drawback to running a MSD 10+ is that you need a battery.

5. Danny Humphreys

You can also run a Mag 44 in conjunction with the programmable MSD7 box and get all the features you mentioned. As far as bang for the buck goes, I'd have to say the MSD 10 is the way to go especially for the application in question and considering the fact that he already has the crank trigger and distributor. Was r4k, you may be right, it just seems to me there's a lot of people on either side of the fence but not a whole lot that have run both. i spoke with noted Pro-Mod engine builder John Scialpi about this because he did run the Crane 8 box and now runs a Mag44. he said the Mag 44 was worth 10-20 lbs of torque on the dyno with the limited overdrive for the promod cars.

6. was R4K

was R4K Member

Hey Danny- I was not trying to be either right or wrong. LOL- Just thought it was a great question and have already learned more than I knew before- so this thread is a win-win. I'm just not accustomed to race cars with battry's so my reply was in no way meant as advice of any sort. It's great that we can have these discussions without insults being thrown around like some of the message boards!

7. James D

James D New Member

Thank goodness this board has some knowledgeable folks. MSD say's that the 10+ is equal to a 12amp mag and it appears that's so. Based on what I have and what I'm wanting to do I'm going with the 10+, thanks to all for your input. jh

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

MSD said a 10+ was equal to a 12, thats funny because a 10+ has over twice the power of a 12 according to there own spec data.

9. James D

James D New Member

Well, when I called their tech line last week that's what the tech said. Thought I'd try to find someone running one in real life to get their experiences, glad I did. I've run a Super Mag III before on injection and it worked fine as did my 7aL3, only problem when I spun it up to about 7,700 it severly bent the hardened pin knocking out 40degrees of timing; happened twice. For $735 I can get the 10+ with coil so that's a bargin in the long run. As I get closer on this engine I'll be needing some more advice, thanks again.

10. altered8

altered8 Member

Dont forget about mallory supermags.Supermag 4 puts out 715mj with only 5.4a on the primary where msd rates their mags with 11-12 a on the primary side

11. screamin mad

screamin mad Jr. Dragster

call us at msd ignition if you want a honest answer on the subject,...
    915-857-5200----

12. screamin mad

screamin mad Jr. Dragster

call us at msd ignition if you want a honest answer on the subject,...
    915-857-5200----