Lot's of oil in the puke take

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by BUTCH, Feb 9, 2009.

1. BUTCH

BUTCH Member

Hay all, I could really us some help, I run a BBc/206d/44 mag, set up we are making about 2300 hp in a rear engine dragster and for the last few years I have been fitting a issue were I get 1 to 2 quarts of oil in my puke tank every run ? I do run it very safe and on most runs, It will not show any heat on the plugs and when I do it is just a hair of cad will get burned off the face but never to the threads, I have tryed differant ring combinations, differant puke tanks, different burn down vents, and oil restrictors in the block. and nothing I have done has made much of a change, I am thinking that maybe I am just running the motor way to fat? is this possible?
    The rest of the motor is very happy, brings, rings pistons,crank, valves, and valve springs ect. all look great and last all year, no other isses, we have tons of power?
    Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks

2. blutowski

blutowski New Member

had a similar issue when i was running a chevy. not nearly that much oil as you in the tank, but enough to make me nervous. ours eneded up being the valve guides. the blower pressure was blowing by the valve stems.......... but we were only getting a cup or twos worth in the tank.

3. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

If you run big chiefs/big duke heads make sure your breather tubes are in the middle of you valve covers at the top ( or as close as you can get it ). BBC motors with 18 deg. heads put alot of oil in the valve covers.

4. BUTCH

BUTCH Member

oil in the puke tank

Jody, We are running the dart 360's heads, have you heard of any issues with them? Thanks for reply

5. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

when i had a blown chevy i had to move the blow by tubes because it was pumping oil into the tubes you may be getting it from there

6. craig moss

craig moss Member

oil

what bock are you using? I have seen blocks tweaking making the cylinders not round under power especially the power you are making. How much over bore are you running ?

7. blown375

blown375 New Member

You may need to make some tin oil deflectors to put under the opening of the breathers.

8. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Do you know when during the run it is happening?

9. jody stroud

All BBC motors oil the hell out of the heads, don't hurt anything, just pumps alot of oil up there. Like the other posr said you may want to fab a set of deflectors under the hole for the tube. Just make sure it don't line up over a pushrod. My injected bracket car with dart 360 heads got alot of oil in the vac. catch can until I moved the location of the breather hole. Where do you have your's mounted?

10. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

i found that moving the hole was easier than tring to put anything on the inside of the valve cover you can bolt the breathers between two rocker arms never had any trouble after that

and i ran oil restricters to keep most of the oil in bottom

11. eli

eli Banned

Sounds like your washing down the cyl walls and letting the oil get by ,Leak down the motor and then if it's good, lean it out a little and see what happens, your rings might not seat with all the fuel your running. To me Fat is half the cad is burned off the plug.

12. BUTCH

BUTCH Member

oil in the puke tank

All, thanks for all of the great idea's i really appreciate it, the blocks we are using are the new century 10,200 soild, i did put the deflector's plates under the breathers on the valve covers last year and they did not make much of a change, the breathers are as far forward as you can get them and still be on the top of the valve covers, and I do have one on each side. I have been adjusting the oil restricters in the block we are down to having 4 of them with a .030 hole in each one, I have just installed a fresh motor and I am going to try to get some heat on the plugs and see what that does.
    on my computer the oil pressure is starting to drop right before I lift, I feel that the oil is stacking up in the engine valley and valve covers on the run. On this block I have machined out some larger return holes on either side of the cam, I hope it will help to let the oil return to the pan faster, Does any one have there breathers in the middle of the valve covers above were the large opening is to the valley? what I was thinking is the oil is getting pushed forward when I hit the shuts? and just pumps into the puke tank?

Take again !!!

13. jody stroud

DingDingDing, we have a winner (maybe). With your breathers all the way at the front of your valve covers you solve the problem of oil on the launch but make it worse on shut down when you have filled the valve covers with oil during the pass. Like I said in my first post, put them in the middle of the cover as close to the top as you can (over the large breather hole in the head). Won't cost much to do and if it don't work you can go to more expensive problems.

14. LeWhite

LeWhite BB/Alt

Just a thought. What could be keeping the oil up top is the blow by rushing up thru the drain holes in the block. Do you have an air hole behind the cam gear? How did you put return holes on either side of the cam? Did you drill thru the lifter boss down to the crank case?

15. LeWhite

LeWhite BB/Alt

Just a thought: could the blow by rushing up the return holes prevent the oin from draining back to the crankcase? How did you drinn holes beside th cam, did you go between the lifter bores and the cyl bore?

16. LeWhite

LeWhite BB/Alt

Wtf

???????????

17. Chuxluv

Chuxluv Member

Puke tank problem

I also run the Dart 360 heads 14:71 about 1800 HP with the Milidon tall V/C .I installed a hose in the very front of the valve cover and have hardly any oil to the puke tank. I did have the problem you said about oil pressure dropping at the end of the run.I installed a windage tray on the main caps really close to the rotating assembly per Les @ Rehr Morrison. He explained that a lot of the oil could be pushed to the valley and V/C and uncovering the oil pump. Might be why your puke tank gets lots of oil.

Best Regards
    Chuck Poindexter
    " Worlds Quickest Chevy Luv Truck"

Serious Racing is my Game
    Drag Racing will be my Fame
    Quickest LUV will I Claim

18. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

http://www.ulmerpulling.com/SweetPain/IMG_3133.jpg
    Here's my oil grief, but it only happens upon deceleration.
    360 heads, 30 lbs boost
    Our last 4 motors do the same thing. We are always trying different things. Different blocks, different ring packages, different pistons, etc. but same oil blowby.
    The breathers were in front, then I baffled them and then I moved to the center top right over the big hole. But no change.
    I'm convinced, upon deceleration the pan oil is getting up into the crank and it throws the oil everywhere.
    I'm working on pans that minimize this and will know in June if it works.

19. Nemesis

Nemesis New Member

Had the same problem on a 509CBB a few yrs back. 2000Hp blown alky with breathers on the front of the valve covers. When driver hit the chutes the valve covers just filled up with oil and owerflowed the puke tank. Solved it by, as suggested, moving the breathers to mid-engine lengthwise and towards the intake manifold above the "big hole" in the head. Also installed a deflector to keep normal spray from exiting thru breather. Had basiclly no oil in puke tank since... Cheap and easy fix ;)

20. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Jeff Johnston Pans

Call Jeff at Billet fabrication http://www.billetfab.com/

I would suggest calling him, he was very helpful. We'll see in june if his pan fixes our problem, I'm betting it will.