Looking for an ET Estimate....

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by gt_diesel, Sep 9, 2008.

1. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

So, I am running a whole new combo for next year, and am completely stuck on trying to get a decent estimate of what I should be looking for.
    I am still waiting for some of the specs on the motor, but here is what I have so far.

496" BBC
    Billet Steel Rods ( I may swap to aluminum, it is how they built the engine )
    Billet Crankshaft
    Canfield Aluminum Heads ( The 350cfm version, no port work yet )
    Jessel Shaft Rockers
    2.30 / 1.88 Valves
    .760" Lift Camshaft with a 4/7 swap, custom ground for the blower motor
    Indy Tall Blower Intake
    14-71 Kuhl Blower, 20% overdriven for now (Standard Helix, Teflon Stipped, Competition Blower)
    Buzzard Catcher, Nitro Barrel Valve.
    1100 Pump
    11.5 to 1 Compression

The motor has never been fired, and I may change a few things that I dont like before I run it.

The car is an Ex-Pro Mod Corvette running a 4.88 Gear right now and 34.5x17 Rear Tires. That is set up for 1/8th mile right now, I am going have to get some new gears for when I run quarter.

It is running a 4-speed Lenco Trans with a McLeod twin disc clutch... I plan on shifting at around 7600 to 7800.

The car weighs 2650 with driver...

I am looking for both quarter mile and 1/8th mile estimates...

Here are a couple pictures of the car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  2. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

It should run mid to high sixes, as long as you can hook it up. The 4.88 gear sounds awfully stout, you didn't mention what the low gear in the trans is. I'm not familiar with door cars, but a blower engine with a 4 speed sounds like trouble. My thought would be to start with a 4.30 RE gear, and about a 1.80 low in the trans. Make sure your wheels are 16 inches wide, if you try to run wide tires on narrow rims, it won't work. I like beadlocks, but you can also use tube and liner wheels. The Hoosiers work really good, I don't mind Mickey Thompsons either.

3. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

Rear wheels are 16x16, and the tires are 34.5x17's... I am going to try a set of 4.30 gears before I run 1/4 mile. The other gears are just what came with it.... The chassis has supposedly been in the mid 6's with a nitrous motor.

I know the blower motor is pretty mild, but I am thinking the lenco should get it down the track with some quick times.

I have run blown alcohol door car stuff, but this car is my first Lenco.

4. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Et

I agree with Ken. I would go to a 4:30 gear and remove the rear section of the Lenco and make it a 3 SPD (gotta love Lencos).
    Sounds like a fun ride.
    I'm going to ask if no on else will.

Have you ever driven a car that fast before???:eek:

Corey

5. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

I used to run a rear engine dragster that went 7.40's and I also ran a Blown Alcohol door car that went 7.60's... I have gone a 6.91 with the dragster spraying it a little... I think the biggest change is gonna be the lenco. So I have been pretty close, but not quite that fast.

I have drive shafts for both three and four speeds... So switching shouldnt be a problem.... And like I said, I am going to go to 4.30 gears.

6. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

This is my last car... It went 7.60's

[​IMG]

This is my old 10.5 car... It was a procharger car that went 7.80's when it hooked up

[​IMG]

Here is the old RED

[​IMG]

7. mark6052

mark6052 Member

using the moroso speed calculator you would need almost 1800 rwhp:eek: to run 6.70, with 4.30 gears at that pace you need 8000 rpm minimum. thats alittle hard on the rods to say the least. good luck

8. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

I just want to go 6.90 to 7.10 and I will be plenty happy.

My last car went 7.60 with 4.30 gears and 3000 pounds....

Hopefully I can get it done

9. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

the first change I would make is steel rods..if you run them they will put a BIG butt hole in the side of the block..Dave
    www.mysace.com/daveloweswr

10. JRB

JRB Guest

Should run in the high 6`s. But the rods worry me. :( Good Luck. Keep us posted

11. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

Yeah, I am kinda worried about the steel rods myself...

Before I run the car, I am going to completely dissasemble the engine, and go thru the trans to make sure everything is up to snuff... The engine is supposed to brand new with 0 passes, but I would like to verify everything myself. While I in there I am probably going to change the rods, port the heads, and do a few other things depending on what I find.

I got such a great deal on the car, I have some extra money available to get it just how I want it.

I probably wont be ready to run until next season ( the season up here ends in october ) so I can do a lot of tweaking before I run.

I would really like to go 200mph, but I would be happy with a 6 second pass...

I know the chassis can handle it, it is just getting the engine where it needs to be to run those times.... It would be nice if I could get those times out of it without changing much.

Thanks for all the input.... I cant wait to get the thing down the track. I will keep you guys updated with progress on the project.

12. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

13. GFORCE

GFORCE New Member

Ride!

WOW!
    The LOTTERY must be GOOD up that Way??????????
    HAVE FUN!!!
    Later
    G :cool:

14. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Estimate

I'm just looking at the power estimates and I'm wondering if the heads you are using have the potential for the 1800HP, mark6052 talked about.

Are they just a conventional head?

15. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

They will flow over 400cfm with a little porting... They are very similar to Dart 360's

16. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

Guestimate

I Am Going To Throw Out A 4.50 Ish And 6.90
    Add Rods And Blower

17. JRB

JRB Guest

I agree...

18. mark6052

mark6052 Member

more guessing

the magic wheel shows for a 6.9 pass you still need 1650hp. The blower will need to put out more like 30lbs boost. good luck with that block. the 8000rpm range will be tough on springs if the 2.30 intake is a steel valve. dont fall in love with a number (et), run the care safely. read that as SMART. if this was a 1800lb dragster youd only need 1125hp. are you sure its gonna weigh that much, and can you drop about 400lbs. my doctor says I should lose 20lbs;)

19. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

I am just planning on running it safe for now... I dont think I will have that engine for very long. It is one of those "it came with the car" deals... lol. I am sure I will probably get flamed for this, but I would like to put the car back as a Nitrous car as that is what it always has been.

20. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

[​IMG]

LOL