Looking for a team

Discussion in 'Crewmembers Wanted or For Hire' started by vamcaptain, Jun 18, 2009.

1. vamcaptain

vamcaptain Member

I am looking to crew with a team this summer. I was originally going to work with an outlaw team but the owner doesn't have money to race this year. I need something to do before my wife kicks me out of the house. I have been building my family's dream for sixteen years, it's time to work on mine. I got the racing bug from the late IHRA racer Don Young.

I am an airline pilot and I am mechanically inclined. I worked as an aircragft mechanic in hydraulics and fuel systems. I learn quick and I do it the way you teach it. I am trusted with 150 lives at a time so you can trust me with yours. I am the captain of my ship, you are the captain of yours. If I screw up I'll tell you. If it's not safe, you don't race.

I have a somewhat flexible schedule and I can arrange my own lodging, if necessary. I can help during the week as well. I live in the Shenandoah Valley area of Virginia so the mid-Atlantic region would be prime for me. Of course I can travel for races in a distant location but I would prefer the team be regionally located.

Cheers,

Mike :cool:

C 540-481-0208

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  2. vamcaptain

vamcaptain Member

Found one!

Thank you all for looking. I have now located a team that viewed this website and contacted me.

Thanks inside top alcohol!

Mike

3. Cameron Motorsports

Cameron Motorsports New Member

thats great for you

An airline pilot found a team to work with that is awsome lol. I have a top fuel sand dragster and have been doing this my whole life and no team wants to contact me at all . You are probably getting paid as well arent you ? I was willing to work for free pick up all of my expenses and bring some money to the table . ( no luck for me ) lol
    Its all good though I am now working on my friends top fuel nostalgia car where they actually appreciate my help . I just find it funny how this drag racing game works .
    Rick

4. vamcaptain

vamcaptain Member

Rick,
    Thank for the post. You know, it's funny. The airline business is sometimes the same way in which it's not WHAT you know but WHO you know. I don't think it's fair but it happens to be that way sometimes.
    I am NOT getting paid. This is on my own time and all my equipment of course is on me. I would say that you should try putting together a resume...maybe an online resume with a nice picture of your smiling mug and post the link to it on some sites like this one.

Hey, you never know!

My Best,

Mike:cool:

5. Cameron Motorsports

thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice . But I started a Top Fuel dragster at Indy 2 weeks ago are you really in position to give me advice ? And we qualified #2 last weekend . So as I said before cograts to you but I am way past where you are at as far as drag racing , I could question your knowledge on the motor or the clutch but I will not do that .
    I simply said its just funny how this drag racing game works thats all no dig at you personally so have a good time and good luck .
    Rick

6. Karate Kid

Karate Kid New Member

Way to go Mike!

Amazing what a person can do with a positive attitude and a smile.

Keep it out of the Hudson!

7. mbaker3

mbaker3 New Member

Rick:eek:

You need to lighten up man! It's starting to show why maybe people don't want you on their team!:cool:

8. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

Cameron, have you ever been given the advice to read what you've written before you hit the send button? If you haven't, take it now!!! Another piece of advice, don't start gloating about what you know until you know who your talking too. I would think with your "expertise attitude" you should have qualified no. 1, set top speed along with a new world record of some sort. For all your hard work, I give you the bullshit award. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  9. Cameron Motorsports

I apologize

I am sorry for coming off like an a..hole and thats really not the person I am I wasnt attacking anyone personally just think I have looked for along time and had very little results as far as a full time position on the NHRA tour .
    I do feel very lucky for what I have and for what I have done in racing and believe me I appreciate it .
    So again I appologize dont mean to come across wrong .
    Rick

10. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

crew

This may not be the right place for this comment but here goes anyway. From the owner side of things, its incredibly difficult to find crew for any alcohol car. Most of us have little to no budget for help.Many if not most of us work a 9-5 job all week.We don't have an elaborate shop like the fuel teams, its usually a 2 car shop in back of the house with the lights and radio on most nights till well after a normal bedtime.Over the years I've had the honor of being helped by many guys that have the same passion for funny cars I have.Some have driven an hour each way (thanks Dave, thanks Gregg)a couple nights aweek at times.But most guys need to be very near to the shop, get along with the rest of the crew/family, and most of all be able to enjoy what they do.
    I know of several racers whose decision to quit was the direct result of not finding crew.
    To all you guys who want to crew for an alcohol car,your best bet is finding out who is based near you and contact that owner. I have actually found crew while at lunch in Subway..no joke..A great guy that was wearing a jacket from an old team and turned out he was available.Another local guy answered an add. and he's doing a great job for me. They aren't tuners or clutch gurus. They're great guys we like being around who can pull their weight and are willing to learn.
    If you really want to do this, go to the races, introduce yourself. Drop off a little resume in person.( Personally, I'm partial to the guy that is invested enough to be at the races)Don't be afraid to say you.ve never done this..not many have. I can teach you to start the car, but I need to know you understand how important every job is.Contrary to popular belief,this is a team sport. It's impossible to race one alone.Good luck.
    PS I'm in Salisbury,NC

11. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

Bill, well said.
    Rick, if you haven't yet, get to know Ralph and Spike. They're not too far from you. Along with what Bill said, they might be able to help you out. Unfortunately, I think part of your problem is you live in Havasu and if your name isn't Boggs or Grimes, you're going to be hard pressed to find a paying deal. Pay your dues on the asphalt, not the sand. Good luck.

12. vamcaptain

vamcaptain Member

Rick,

Congrats on the qualifying number 2! Way to go team! That's is a very worthy accomplishment.

You would be wise not to ask me yet for advise on engines or clutch setup, as I would more than likely not ask your advice on autolandings or zero-flap approaches in zero visibility. We all get into a job or way of life and we do the best we can.

Over time, however, I can learn quickly and hope to achieve a higher level of knowledge than I posses now.

I certainly hope you and your team have a very successful year!

My Best,

Mike