Lifters

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Dave Germain, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Whats the current thought on lifters? I kicked a rod out of the motor. I cleaned the lifters and have looked them over with a magnifying glass. I can't see any damage and all the rollers roll nicely with no apparent issues. The question is-Are they reusable? I have ran Crane's and Cam FXs in the past. What is the brand most guys prefer now? This is a TAFC 526 Miner motor shifting at something past 9800 with a PSI screw blower. Now that Crane has been resurrected are they making lifters again? Dave Germain

2. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

we have kick out rods in the past and would do the same thing you you did check them out real close and we would run them, never had any problems..Dave

3. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

crane is making lifters again
    I have heard good things about cam fx and jessels

4. badbird

badbird New Member

jessel are nice lifters we have them but they are expensive to buy, and unreasonably expensive to rebuild,
    we are looking at cam Fx anyone actuly used them on a high rpm hemi?
    any failers/weak points?
    we always used crane with no problems but i dont know if the build quality is the same or where they are manufactured now and im not gonna be the one to fing out there not as good as they were,

thanks

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  5. lucky devil

lucky devil Member

We used LUNATI in our Chevy motor. They look to be better than the CRANE ones. My Hemi has CRANE.

6. clint thompson

morels

I have used the cam fx, crane, morel, the morels seem to work well as we've not had one fail. The finish machine work on the Cam Fx ones we had was terrible. we had one break in Norwalk last year with just a couple runs on it. The radius on the bottom was not right and it was rubbing the body of the lifter on the cam. The guy did nothing to make it right even though he marketed them as bullet proof and guaranteed. Call Ken at motorsports unlimited and get the Morels in my HUMBLE opinion.

Clint

7. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

I have run Crane for YEARS with ZERO failure.....but what is the "New" Crane like??? Good question....hopefully not Chinese?!

8. badbird

badbird New Member

you said what i was thinking......And as i said i wont be the guy to find out

9. badbird

badbird New Member

I guess Morels it is unless anyone got any other oppinions???

10. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

hemi lifters

We have been using the Morels for 2 seasons now and love them. I have a couple extra new sets if you need. $800 a set.
    Good luck
    Marty Thacker
    618-562-3270

11. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

Whats in the box?

not so sure about what companies are making and not making now. not so much on this site, but in many others morell lifters and the vaugness of who they are, and what they sell are a hot topic. the problem seems to be that they may sell the identical product to other companies, such as lunati,etc, and etch that companies name in the lifters for them, then if you want a set of real etched morells,even though its the same product, the price goes up around 250.00 more for the same product. i have no problem paying good money for a good product, but when the smoke and magic mirrors come out,seems a bit devious for a company to do that. to my knowledge nobody from morell has ever responded to these claims,truth or not, and good luck getting ahold of them. no website, no advertisements, nothing. which maybe if they sell tons of lifters to other companies keeps them in business, good for them, but if i can buy the same product from a known distributor, ill probably buy more of them,and not feel like im getting the ripoff at the same time. all the reports have pointed these to be some of the best made, so why all the cloak and dagger hiding in the shadows stuff? any suggestions? ive been torn apart on here before by posting my thoughts, so go ahead, its not anything new to me. but im not made of money, so i would like to spend what i have on a decent product for the money.

12. JM

JM Member

Morels

I've been dealing with Ken at Motorsports unlimited for Crane rebuilds and new Morels. No problems and not a rip off on either. I can't answer why Morel doesn't advertise, Ken told me once they just build lifters and don't want the hasle of dealing with (us) the public. Give Ken a call, he's a straight shooter.

13. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

Crower

I have Crower Maximus lifters I ran morels for 2 races and wasnt that happy with them. I had one set of crower maximus lifters in all year with a new set on the shelf ran them hard wirh almost 50 runs on them. It cost 350 to have them rebuilt last i checked. I wont run anything else, crowers a name thats been around and is still family owned and operated. If you have a problem you can get David on the phone and he will fix it.

14. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

I have a new set of the cranes on the shelf 95542-16
    they look just as the old did except the tie bar is black with crane cams logo on it
    I can sell you cranes pretty resonable if you want those compared to other brands
    not quite sure why the box is now 3 times bigger than it used to be

15. underby6

underby6 Active Member

I ran Jesel Dog Bone Lifters in our BAE setup for the last 6 years, 0 problems....except the $$$. This season we are running the Morel Lifter, many very well equipped teams run this lifter and have great success. At 1/3 - 1/4 the cost of Jesel it just didn't make sense for us to spend $3k on lifters when we can just throw a set away at the end of the season and put a brand new set in/still be money ahead. Morel will also rebuild them for 1/2 the cost of new. Ken @ Motorsports Unlimited and Marty Thacker both sell them and are great to deal with. I've seen several sets of CamFX go bad and also been told by same teams who had bad products that the customer service was quite poor (putting it nicely). If $ isn't an issue then sure get the new Jesel Ti-Bar Tool Steel or Dog Bones, but I believe Morel has a product that will do just as good of a job.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

16. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Cam FX

What is the story with the armored box the Cam FX lifters come in? I wouldn't mind a standard issue cardboard box if it saved a hundred bucks or so. Dave Germain

17. lucky devil

lucky devil Member

If MOREL make the LUNATI ones as suggested , it makes me realise why the LUNATI ones looked so much better quality than the others I have used........touch wood they havnt failed either.

18. clint thompson

clarification

I just want to clarify that Chris from CAM FX did call me a couple months ago and to his credit had tried to get me a new set of lifters. After he saw my post he called me again yesterday and offered again to provide me a new set. He said that they are on the way to me and I told him I would try them again. Credit where credit is due, he did see the post and take action. I'll update after I receive the replacements and put some runs on them.

That said, the Morels are a nice part, great finish and good service from Ken. There are a lot of good people and good parts out there. Kinda comes down to who you like to deal with and what you have had sucess with.

19. REEHL EQUIPMENT

REEHL EQUIPMENT Authorized Merchant

The Cam FX lifter box adds $25.00 to the cost.

When I sell them, I absorb the box cost, so the customer gets a nice box, unless he doesn't have them in stock at the time.

Chris from Cam FX said he called Clint Thompson yesterday, and talked to him about his problem.

Maybe Clint will chime in here.

20. clint thompson

chiming in

looks like I beat you to the punch Robert.