Lenco transmission basic help

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by general23cmp, May 3, 2004.

1. general23cmp

general23cmp New Member

I have a dumb question, but I cannot seem to find the answer on the web. I know you guys will know the answer in a heartbeat. It is very basic. Are Lenco transmissions manual (clutch pedal shifted) or automatic. I know they are shifted by levers which can be automated, but I am primarily concerned with the clutch pedal. How do they launch (torque convertor, clutch, or either)? My main interest is in Pro-Mod racing in which they refer to 3 and 4 speed Lenco's. Do theses guys launch with a clutch and clutch between gears, is it a clutch launch with clutchless shifts, or is it similar to most automatics in which you have a torque convertor?

Thank you very much and pardon my ignorance. I am trying to learn. Even the Lenco website is vague on this matter. I guess they assume that anyone shopping for a Lenco already knows this simple stuff.

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Look at a Lenco as being a manually shifted automatic transmission. Normally one uses a clutch to launch and after the run use a clutch when slowing down but NO clutch to shift. A Lenco's first gera is the multiplication of all the gears in each section with the high gear always 1 to 1. So if it is a three speed then the first gear ratio is a combination of the gear in the first and second section. When you pull the lever to shift to second you engine a clutch section that stops the planetery gears moving in the first section so that you are now only using the gears in the second section. When you pull third you now lock out the second section gears so you are now just one to one. There is no foot clutch required when you pull the gears because of the internal cluch packs inside the Lenco. They look just like the clutch packs in a TH400 or Th300. The only exception to what I have is a Bruno or a Lenco drive that uses a torque converter instead of a clutch. With the torque converter you get torque multiplication so you always eliminate the first section of the Lenco. Afte you launch you pull the gears the same as a clutch car.