Lenco reverser question

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by superchargedwarrior, Sep 13, 2009.

1. superchargedwarrior

superchargedwarrior New Member

Ok, so third time out with the Lenco and I Broke a reverse planetary in my cs1.. Does anyone make a stronger planetary? And Is it just me, or does this aluminum planetary seem pretty weak ?

Thanks, Jason.

2. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

did you wack the throttle when backin up?..Dave

3. superchargedwarrior

Dave,
    I have been having a hard time getting used to this bruno deal. Kind of a P.I.T.A. to get this thing in & out of forward/reverse.. I did whack it a little to try to get it out of reverse. I wont do that again. I have a spare reverse planetary but before I put it in, I would rather install something stronger.
    BTW thanks for the blower gel. check is in the mail.

Jason.

4. blown375

blown375 New Member

Jason , Don't feel bad I broke mine the second pass when I started running a lencodrive .
    After I took it apart and figured out how it works it taught me how to drive the car .
    I don't know if someone makes a stronger reverser but I will give you some free advise , remember to take you foot off the brakes when you shift directions and take your time. If it doesn't drop in the first time let off the button for a second and then reapply the button and try it again.

5. Eric David Bru

Jason, to my knowledge, all Lenco reversers are weak/sensative...

EDB

6. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

hey jason anytime you need blower gel jest let me know dave

7. overkill69

overkill69 Member

We broke ours in 3 passes. Car can only idle in reverse.Lenco makes a billet straight cut planet. It's over 600.00. We're going to idle the engine down and back up in high gear so it doesn't have so much gear ratio.

8. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

Dry Hops in reverse teach one to remove broken bolts. Got lucky. Made it to around the 7th pass before being indoctrinated. :D

9. superchargedwarrior

Yes, it sheared all the bolts off that mount it to the case. I do my burnouts in high gear & have tried shifting from forward to reverse with the levers back & it seems to not like it. So I have been putting it back into 1st before I try to get it out of forward to back up. Should I leave it in high gear to back up?
    Also, I broke this after I had it backed up & was trying to go from reverse to forward, my foot was off the brake & the car was rolling back slightly & after about 15 attempts to shift it, I blipped the throttle a little & it finally came out of gear. Its frustrating when your opponent is prestaged & I'm still trying to get this thing out of reverse. I hope it gets easier with more practice.

10. Dusterfränky

Dusterfränky New Member

Lenco

Hi, always go back in third, its easier on the trans and brake. It needs a little practice with the brake and transbrakebutton (don't know if you run a converter or clutch) to get the moment the reverser moves free. You can feel it if your hand is always on the shifter. Running a Bruno/Lenco for 12 years without problems. With the years the teeth in the reverser will go and maybe the teeth in your reverser are gone, so it is more "work" to shift.

11. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

Throw my name into the hat of happy campers.......dayum reverser wouldn't go into reverse after first round burnout at KCIR this past Sunday, went back and forth into forward 5 times trying to get it to catch. Shifter was in the detent so I guess the reverse gear is gone....been pretty trouble-free this year up until Sunday with straight CS-2 3-speed and Bruno. Had a Lenco-drive a while back that had nothing but problems with the reverser. It's amazing this many people have posted with problems in 2 days on one web-site. You've gotta think after 35+ years in the business they could build a reverser that would hold up a little better........... :mad:

12. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

Reverser is fine. It's us boneheads that try to make it do things it shouldn't. 1 time was enough for me to learn.

13. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

Dave,
    Sorry to disagree, but it's not fine....if it was then the monster truck guys would be using them instead of B & J's.

14. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Lenco Reverse Problem

This must be a Lenco drive problem because I haven't had to replace one thing in my CS1 reverser and I've had it for 6 yrs. But I use it the old fashioned way, with a clutch. As long as you stop before selecting reverse and hold the clutch in until the planets stop turning she finds reverse/forward no problem.

My 2 cents

Corey

15. alcohol paul

alcohol paul Jr. Dragster

We have 200 plus runs on our Lenco Drive and I took the reverser apart just last week because i felt guilty. I was surprised even the pins on the shift fork showed very little wear...It looked great and I put it back in. I know a lot of people that have had issues with there reverser and i even won a race a few months ago because the guy broke his after the burnout, but I have had no problems. I put pressure on the reverser lever then set the trans brake, it usually goes right in. Sometimes I'll have to bump the brake twice in order to get in but it's just the way it is. I also back up in low gear only because I have a pressure switch plumbed in the second gear air line that wont let the Trans Brake set once second gear is punched.

Just my 2.5 cents....

Paul

Winr likes this.
  16. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

X2...It's hard to remember but you have to let your foot off the foot brake to free up the lenco. A lot of times on our bruno/lenco I can get it out of drive, but it hangs up going into reverse. We have a nuetral on our reverser, some don't. Anyways....I usually end up putting pressure on the handle towards the reverse side and let go of the trans brake. It will pop into gear as soon as you let go of the button...But make sure you are pressure to pull the lever all the way into reverse. You don't want to get caught inbetween and here grinding. If you're nervous about that the best thing to do is put the reverser in neutral and let go of the brake for a split second then back on the button, and you then should be able to pop it into reverse.

And as overkill69 said...leave your lenco in high gear when backing up. Helps lug the car down and not having to use as much brake pressure. :D

17. blown375

blown375 New Member

Dave I agree 100%, like I said in my previous post !

When I broke mine ,I took it apart and figured out how it works and after you do that you will see how much bad advise is out there on how to drive a car with one ! they aren't designed to be raced in or jammed into reverse.

If you are using a cable type shifter make sure you have it adjusted correctly with plenty of reverse engagement.

If you continue to break them and others aren't then maybe you should sit back and look at "what am I doing wrong ?" not what did lenco do wrong?

"23t hemmee" as far as the "Monster trucks" go, you are comparing apples to rocks! they didn't use a lenco reversers in my Bigwheel when I was a kid either... and the point is????

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  18. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

I broke mine with a clutch. Classic rookie maneuver. Did not put it in forward and gently test it before moving to the line. Definitely got the attention of the people behind me. Good thing I never let go of the brake during this time period.
    Sheared everyone of those little bolts. As long as the "hit" is in the forward direction those bolts are fine. Haven't broken any since..... knock on titanium.

19. pete9857

pete9857 Member

Hey Paul, I think that was us that broke. Sat. nite, Norwalk? My son is very careful with reverse, no forcing it in. On and off with transbrake until it goes in. Track officials think you're broke because it takes 2 or 3 tries to get it to mesh. I've had the Lencodrive since new, so I know it hasn't been abused. Mine looked like 1 off the planet gears broke in two. just my opinion.

Glenn

20. pete9857

pete9857 Member

Paul,BTW, what happened to your car at Norwalk?

Glenn