Lenco fluid

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Slayer, May 10, 2005.

1. Slayer

Slayer Member

What fluid is the best in a lenco? I've heard everything from ATF, 30 weight oil, motorcycle oil, to beer. Is there a difference for a cs1 and a cs2? How much is best? Thanks.

2. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

here is my 2 cents for what its worth
    we ran ATF tore up bearings & lots of clutch wear
    switched to 0w30 amsoil syn series 2000 and had less wear have not lost a bearings since and the sprags look better
    ps. i am not an amsoil guy

3. funnycarguy 230

I spoke with lenco they told me to run 30w motor oil he said that atf is what they ran for a while now they reccomend 30w motor oil hope this helps Give lenco a call

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

every car i've worked on we've ran valvoline 30 wt and had good luck on lenco's. i think b&j recommends atf for their trans.

5. white lightnin

white lightnin New Member

we have run 5w-30 in our cs-2 for it seems like 10 years now and have had no troubles.

6. Slayer

Slayer Member

Thanks for the help..

7. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Wow! Am I the only guy who still runs ATF? We had the exact opposite problem- we tried a few years back to run the 30wt oil and it was really hard on the clutches. Before then, and after then we have always ran ATF; just make sure if you do that it is the Dexron III/Mercon stuff.

Only speaking from our own experience...maybe it's just too damn cold up here in Canada to run the 30wt :D

8. big wheel

big wheel New Member

i run a door car and have used oil and atf the best i have found some good results using trans_send made fore allison auto transmissions it is not cheap but it sheer propertys and spec are avlible its made fore gm by castor oil.

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

We have used synthetic ATF for years without any bearing failures and only one sprag failure. Sprags are a usable item like clutches. I have never burned up a set of clutches but then I do pull checks all the time. As far as lubrication qualities I do not believe there is a difference between motor oil and ATF. Some people argue that ATF is not a lubricant but then think of all those bearings, bushings and moving parts in an automatic transmission. If ATF didn't act as a lubricant then we would all be in trouble. In talking it over with Matt at Lenco the real difference in between using ATF or motor oil is the speed in which the clutches grap at shift. The ATF being thinner is pushed out from between the clutches faster so it grabs or hits harder. If the desire is to slow the Lenco hit down because the driveshaft speed jumps up then try motor oil. You can also vary the weight of the oil for different hits. If ATF is good for you or motor oil is good for you and that is how the car is set up then there is probably no real reason to change. I have seen just as much success on one than the other. Most times Lencos fail is was poor periodic maintence. I have seen guys go a whole season without a pull check or an oil change until the transmission just gives up. Then somebody blames it on the type oil being used.

10. clint thompson

we used to run the atf and have run the 30wt. i prefer to use synthetic 5w 30 i get either pennz or mobil 1 depending on which one is on sale at wal mart that day. never have any problems with the trans (other than normal wear on sprags) i think any of the aforementioned is ok.