Lenco drive vs Clutch

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Gene Terenzio, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Do any of you Guys use or have you tried the lenco drive and what do you think of it? besides that the lenco drive is alot less maintenence

[ December 01, 2004, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Gene Terenzio ]

2. anyone?? hello

3. DQUES

DQUES Member

I have used one in a altered before with great results but only with around 2k hp . Why not call mick snyder or his dad who engineered the trans design . He ran it in alcohol funny car winning the division 3 championship I think .

4. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Rapid Randy AA/FA Comp Eliminator

Gene, We are picking up ours at PRI. So I don't yet have any data for you.

In THEORY it is exactly what we want to use. I expect good things from it.

Snyder was very helpful and great to deal with.

5. Danny Humphreys

I've got one in my 3000 lb door car w/ 2400 blown alky motor. Had a few problems with sprags when we first got it. Since then we have put over 100 passes on it with no probs and everytime we pull it apart it looks perfect. Snyder hooked me up and has been great everytime I call him.

6. Whos converter are you using??

7. Danny Humphreys

Neal Chance, Ive had it since day 1 with this combo(ran turbo 400 before) and it look slike new as well. Marty Chance put together a combination for me that has been bulletproof as well as providing exceptional performance.

8. What about Coan ? They make realy good converters

9. Danny Humphreys

I believe Snyder uses a Coan in his FC. Chance is king in doorslammer stuff.

10. Has that B&J tranny been used yet? and whos using it? I'm lookin to see what the others have to offer and if they can stand up to lenco

11. Danny when you get a minute. leave chances phone # for me

12. rpmhiperf

rpmhiperf Blown Alcohol

Randy G. Just curious, Do you know this sand racer? I'm active in the sand drag deal. Lots of fun, and great people. I was at the fall nationals in Laughlin, NV last month. The track is like what you discribed. If the guy is Jim Hammond, he did qualify well (1). He made it to the final but was beat on a holeshot.

13. what kinda 60's is snyder getting with that??

14. Danny Humphreys

15. Thanks Dan.

16. mike w.

mike w. TAFC

Does anyone know if these cars are using line locks, trans brakes, or do they just leave using the brake handle.

17. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

a lencodrive car launches using a transbrake. the throttle is controlled with a 2 cable system (we're working on a single cable system). the 2 stage pedal works by 'heeling' it; pushing a piston in with your heel to bring it up stage rpm with one cable (approx 3000-4000 rpm) then when its time to launch, the driver releases the transbrake button and 'floors' it like a normal throttle pedal for the run. the driver makes both shifts just like a clutch car as well. line locks are not used.

snyder has his button on the top left of his steering wheel. i'm working with k&r products to develop a transbrake lock out switch for the lencodrive so i can move the switch to the brake handle. the way it would work, i would have a toggle switch lower on the brake handle to reset say a 30 second lock out on the button once it was released once. if i had to rearm it, i could reach down toggle the switch and reset the lock out. that would eliminate the chance of bumping the transbrake when i'm shutting down. the advantages would be having some brake pressure to keep from any kind of roll and i'm right handed and used to a right hand button in my sc dragster.

18. OK
    But why are they still shifting by button and not by itself. like the super class cars or is it illegal. I know for a fact msd makes the box to shift out at a preset rpm. will thats all there coming at of the hole at 4grand???

[ December 04, 2004, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Gene Terenzio ]

19. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

autoshift in any tafc is illegal. 4000 is about the max rpm the transbrake/converter will hold. with the converter you have quite a bit of torque multiplication to make up for the lack of rpm inertia you have in a clutch car. with a clutch car you're usually flogging the hell out of the motor in low, with a lencodrive you actually have to trim the power back off the line due to the torque multiplication.

[ December 04, 2004, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Will Hanna ]

20. rpmhiperf

rpmhiperf Blown Alcohol

I drove a simular set up in an altered. It was a quicker-drive on a lenco. Which is now the B&J set-up. The trans brake button was under my left thumb, and we used a foot brake in place of the clutch pedal. It worked really good even though I had always used a hand brake in the past. You swap feet just like a clutch car then. Nice to have both hands on the wheel, all the time!

[ December 04, 2004, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: rpmhiperf ]