leak down tester

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by fastavenger 588, Sep 26, 2008.

1. fastavenger 588

fastavenger 588 New Member

dose aney know ho makes a good leak down tester for a blown app:rolleyes:

2. eli

eli Banned

I make my own, plus I make a poppet setting tool. It has three gages 0 to 15 lbs. 0 to 100 lbs. and 0 to 200 lbs. with an6 fittings on all three and one an8 to an6 adapter. you can build your own too, i bought one and it was not accurate, if you want info google it, or I can make one for you. mine are not cheap, made of brass, so it wont rot.;):D

3. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

Anyone used the Lowe unit ? its ugly but they claim it is made of top quality parts.

Richard Gavle

4. mbaker3

mbaker3 New Member

I have this one and it seems to give me consistant readings. I got it from Good Vibrations. It was less than $100 when I got it.
    [​IMG]

5. dragcars

dragcars New Member

An advertiser right here, Machine Design Service makes some. check out their ad.
    frank

6. eli

eli Banned

By the way you can't use your leak down tester to set poppets. unless it's one of the crappy ones that don't have a .040 jet in it. :eek:

7. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

Why not? please explain.

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I use my leakdown tester to set my poppets. Never had a problem.

If you want to check your leakdown tester for accuracy then make a holder for a .080 7/16 Enderle Bypass jet attach it to the leakdown tester. Now with a 100 lbs in the leakdown should by at 80%. That is a industry standard.

9. eli

eli Banned

Good Leak down testers have an orifice in them, ( .040 jet is what i call it), a poppet setter is a straight shot of air to the poppet, ( no jet ) Just a regulator and a gauge, use a gauge twice as much as the presser you need it to pop, or close to it. for instance you want to set your hi speed to 60 lbs use a 100 lb' gauge. you won't get a true reading from a leak tester,another thing you should check your poppet's after/ before every race, the springs go bad just like your valve springs do. Oh S#!t i gave away another secret. :D :rolleyes:

10. fastavenger 588

fastavenger 588 New Member

thank you very much for all the info (i am a new guy hear):)

11. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

buy a kinsler leak down..it is the ...buy far the easyst to use it is a one guage tool set it at 100 psi and read it...as in if you leak at 75 that is what the guage reads..i've used almost every type and I find this fool proof and very fast..Dave
    www.myspace.com/daveloweswr

12. eli

eli Banned

Thats a flawed answer, what if you have a compressor that don't hold more than 100 lbs. for very long then how would you know if the gauge is reading what it says or what the compressor is putting out?? you should have a compressor that holds 130 lbs. for as long as it takes you to set the valve with a one gauge deal the two gauge deal tells you Right away if the presser drops below 100 lbs. because the first gauge drops with the compressor and the second gauge, but you already knew that didn't you? :rolleyes::p

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

That is a good point Eli. In the trailer our compressor has a real hard time holding 100 psi. We have a single gauge leakdown tester for the cylinders and you have to be real careful at what percent you are reading. The other option is to reduce the pressure to 75 psi or 50 psi and adjust the percentage by the same amount of reduction. So at 50 psi in and you read 10% leakdown that would be really 20% leakdown at 100 psi........am I correct in assuming this????? If you used 75 psi and read 10% leakdown than that would be really 15%....is that correct also? It sounds good.

The other problem with a single gauge is that you can't use it to check poppets. It works OK on the barrel valve IF you can maintain 100 psi while all that air is escaping through the BV.

14. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

leak testers

Good leakage testers only read % of air and do not need 100# of air our sun works off of 80# and still will read 100%. Mike:rolleyes:

15. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

How is that possible? We use a Childs and Alberts single gauge leakdown tester which has a single know for pressure adjustement. If you don't set it at 100 lbs then it will not read the correct percentage. It would seem to me that all leakdown testers have to refernce 100 lbs to get a correct percentage.

16. kosky racing

leak testers

Read what I said they only read 100% of the air put in.

17. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I guess I will have to go and test mine at different air pressures. Thanks.

18. kosky racing

leak testers

Thats also why they read in percentage and not#s:)

19. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

You are probably 100% correct and it was right in front of me and I just didn't realize it. So if I test my single gauge leakdown tester through a 80 jet it should always read 80% regardless of the input pressure as long as they are within reasonable limits? See we live a learn daily.

20. eli

eli Banned

Here's the real deal right out of the PSI blower book that Norm Drazzy wrote::::::::::::::::::::: page 20, Check valves: Enderle, Hilborn, Crower, and Waterman check valves are all acceptable. The important points are.
    -Never set them with a leak down tester
    They must have enough travel and flow area when calibrated.
    they must seal when seated.
    Disassemble and inspect them regularly.
    -brass or stainless steel are mandatory to avoid the corrosion caused by methanol. Never use a aluminum bodied check valve. Even if the housing is anodized, the poppet will quickly wear through the anodized seat, expouse bare aluminum and rapidly corrode the seat surface. You guys with the screw blowers should read the book, there's a lot of stuff in there. you guys that don't have a screw blower should BUY the book, you can benefit from it too.;) :)