Kingpin degree for a dragster and funnycar

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by willy200, May 1, 2015.

1. willy200

willy200 Member

What would be a typical kingpin degree angle for a TAD Dragster and a TAFC Funnycar

2. afueldigger

afueldigger tire wiper

are you asking for king pin angle ( built into the spindle) or caster angle?
    Gary

3. willy200

willy200 Member

Sorry the Caster angle is what i was enquiring about

4. OwnBlock

OwnBlock Member

10 to 15* works fine, the more degrees you use the greater the risk of a wheel "locking" rocking over whilst turning too tightly when pushing the car around, added to the fact if too much, easy to lose control while driver is backing up after the burnout.
    See the clip on youtube of the injected nitro FED with far too much - backed up - car just turned then driver hit the forward selector then the gas pedal, it is very nasty.

Check out the caster angle its layed way back.

Personally I like 12 - 14* ( Dragster ) Every and all cars regardless of what it is, I also use the "akerman" principal.

:cool::)

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  5. comp altered 632

comp altered 632 New Member

I use 12 degree caster .and 1/8 inch toe in measured at widest part of tyre,this makes toe zero as wind stresses a-arms on run. akerman you don't want as you are trying to go straight you want to keep front wheels parallel
    And they stay pointing down track as the back end steps out

6. OwnBlock

OwnBlock Member

ackerman has been my friend on all my drag race cars since 1972, short or long wheel base, and Ive built a lot, when they step out easy to control

7. No Limit

No Limit New Member

On a funny car, reducing the angle to 5 or 7 degrees will make it much easier to steer, and less likely to get the wheel wobble when you are backing up.

8. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

the car I just picked up had 10degrees of caster, 8.5 degrees of kingpin using strange adjustable height spindles . funny car

9. comp altered 632

comp altered 632 New Member

Akerman is dangerous on a drag racing vehicle.
    I use no akerman therefore as the back of the car steps out and you put steering in the front wheels will always be parallel and both pointing the same way ( hopefully straight down track )

10. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Greg; every dragster I built in the last 40 years were 24 caster (must twist the steering arms to level with 3/16" toe in)
    F/C 9 degree, also twist arms, but not as necessary as the rod ends won't bottom out and bend the male end.

aafa760, Will Hanna and Fuel Cars like this.
  11. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

I have had two very experienced TAD pilots (one with multiple championships) tell me the cars with more caster angle drive much better. this was based on driving two different cars in the same year, one with lower angle and one with higher.