K STYLE BARREL VALVE TRICKS

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by funnycarguy 230, Jul 25, 2005.

1. funnycarguy 230

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF TRICKS TO DO ON A K STYLE BARREL VALVE I'M NOT LOOKING FOR SUPER SECRETS I'VE HAD PEOPLE TELL ME ABOUT THINGS THEY DO TO THE SPOOL VALVE DO THESE THINGS REALLY WORK OR IS IT BEST TO LEAVE IT ALONE THANKS

2. Leon

Leon New Member

Sure their are things that can be done,but if you dont have a full understanding of your fuel system, their are other things that can do almost as well.

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

About the only thing I know of is filing the idle Vee. If you are running a PSI then Drazy has a good explanation in his book. If you are using a roots then it is probably best to leave it alone. A wide open K valve is not really in the circuit anymore the fuel just goes straight thru so nothing can be done at that point.

4. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

I WOULD AGREE WITH LEON ON THE BARRELL VALVE . IF YOU WANT TO GET A SYSTEM FLOWED THERE ARE A NUMBER OF GOOD FUEL SYSTEM PEOPLE IN THE MARKET THAT WOULD BE ABLE TO APPLY SOME TRICKS I'M SURE BUT IF YOU ARE JUST GETTING STRATED OR HAVE A BASIC COMBO THE STANDARD ENDERLE STUFF WORKS GREAT.

5. T.Howell

T.Howell Member

The slot and the idle return hole indexing in the spool are both critical for proper stage RPM flow.
    Modifications can be done in the field with good results if need be, but are best done on a flow bench with a target stage RPM and flow in mind.
    This helps roots blown cars as well.

6. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Howell hit the nail on the head. It is very critical. NEVER rely on "good advise" from someone else about your combo, unless it's flowed or you KNOW what you've got.
    I know I'm just an ol' welder and story teller, but here goes: In the early nineties, Enderle did a whole years production of "K" style (AKA Nitro- meth)barrel valve castings, that had instead of a two sized (stepped)relief hole in the casting, so that the .180 hole in the casting would match the .180 hole in the spool. Simple huh? Well, not quite. That batch was drilled "tap size" for the Brass plug underneath 17/64" (.266) straight through to the spool. So... as the spool turned to "stage" RPM, the bottom was still showing some leak to the return. Bottom line was, if you knew what you had, it was easy to instead of running (let's say) 72% leak, you simply went to 84% to achieve 550 degrees at 5000 stage, instead of the 900 degrees the 72% gave you. It idled kind of neat too, everybody else had a ring in the pipes at idle! BTW,anybody ever see the back tires two feet off the ground in 15 feet, gotta love 900 degrees!!