JP1 stay away, why?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Great Googly Moogly, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Great Googly Moogly

Great Googly Moogly Super Comp

I'm looking into buying a complete JP1 with Veney stuff. I've heard some people say to stay away from the JP1.

Why?

2. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

I haven't had any problems. The only thing I would suggest is to make sure the oil return holes/slots in the lifter galley are large enough so you don't run out of oil. We blew one up once because so much oil stays up there.

3. DQUES

DQUES Member

What about parts availability ? . Can you still buy parts to fix them if needed .

4. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Maybe I'm in the wrong with saying this, but I think all the parts from a KB fit on a JP1 or JP2...(pan, front cover, etc...)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...?

5. topalky511

topalky511 Member

nathan your right i run a jp1 and the pan is the same and the front cover is also kb sleeves fit as well, i run mine in an rootes blown alky dragster with fathead 3's 1671 and a pro mag rev it to 9800 rpm and the block is great never had any problems with it.

6. topalky511

topalky511 Member

not sure about main caps

7. Great Googly Moogly

Great Googly Moogly Super Comp

That's what I heard from a local guy that hurt the block, that main caps were difficult to find. But, if everything is the same, when you hurt the block to that point, can't you then replace it with a KB?

What about journal sizes, are they different/odd?

So far I haven't heard anything that would scare me off.

8. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Not that I'm aware of- all the sizes should be the same. We have 2 motors, one JP2 block and one BAE block, have run a lot of KB's as well in the past, never had a problem with interchangeability. As budget racers, we can't afford to have a motor that pretty much anything fits into.

9. willys33

willys33 new

Been running a JP1 block for the last 6 years. Any time I need block work done I take it to Keith Blacks. KB’s parts fit the JP1. I have not had any main cap problems (yet) so I don’t have a input in this area. I just stepped up to the fat heads and had to have the block push rod holes reworked. The only thing I have found different than a KB is the head bolt studs. It appears the JP1’s are 1” shorter than the KB’s. Spent a little time on the phone and was able to locate what I needed. The only other area is if you are going to run a starter on the block, like for ProMod, you will have to cut the bell housing area. KB’s do not have this web.